[MOD] Wilderness NPCs

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
BadLuckBurt

Re: [MOD] Wilderness NPCs

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:08 am Not to rain on your parade here, because it's allways great to see more mods, this is still in its infancy and its nice that people have options, but with wilderness allready having a random monster spawn table and Warm Ashes popping a bunch of random wilderness encounters at players, I'm not sure exactly what niche this fills? I allready feel a bit monster-spammed when crossing the wildeness?

The first thing that strikes me is that this mod would be GREAT if you could combine it with introducing new enemies. Because what it would work very well for is general wildlife. Having stuff like huntable deer, rabbits, birds etc. just pop up in your vicinity while out in the wild.
Not everybody uses Warm Ashes and choice is never a bad thing is it?
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

True. I realize I'm actually starting to loose track of what monsters are what mod. With Tedious Travel, Warm Ashes and Unlevel Mobs I seem to run into an annoying amount of enemies at times.
So I was just a bit puzzled about another mod to put more monsters in the wilderness. And it strikes me now that since Warm Ashes is in modules, you can actually not use the Wilderness part of Warm Ashes and use this instead.

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

This is another great wilderness spawn mod. It's a unique variation to what warm ashes adds. I have added this to my game and removed the Warm Ashes wilderness files. The fact that you can have both enemy spawns that will attack you along with friendly NPCs spawns that can help you defeat the enemy is fun and entertaining. I think this is a cool concept and something that warm ashes doesn't currently do very well or consistently. Understandably, not every player is going to want this in their game though.

I can think of dozens of Skyrim mods that all did similar things but functioned just differently enough that you may want to use one over another depending on your playsyle/roleplay choices.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 pm The fact that you can have both enemy spawns that will attack you along with friendly NPCs spawns that can help you defeat the enemy is fun and entertaining. I think this is a cool concept and something that warm ashes doesn't currently do very well or consistently.
Hm, this is something I’ve actually specifically asked for in WA. Color me interested :D

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

HOLD EVERYTHING!!! This is a completely different mod than what I was expecting. The latest update allows numerous settings to control mob spawns. You can choose mob spawn rate in seconds, the number of mob groups that can spawn at one time, distance a mob can spawn from player and distance between mob spawns. This is something that Warm Ashes just can't do and may be way too OP and game breaking if you set it up right. With certain settings too high it crashed my game. It's cool and fun, but also a bit crazy if not careful with it. If set up right it's a great wilderness spawn experience.

Xorberax is a genius! :)

I would suggest that an option would be added to Enable/Disable Friendly NPCs.
Personally I like friendly npcs but not everyone will.

All the mobs spawned in. Some killed each other yet left me with plenty of enemies to kill. A bit crazy but fun! :D
20191227144346_1.jpg
20191227144346_1.jpg (310.62 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:08 am The first thing that strikes me is that this mod would be GREAT if you could combine it with introducing new enemies. Because what it would work very well for is general wildlife. Having stuff like huntable deer, rabbits, birds etc. just pop up in your vicinity while out in the wild.
DRAGONS !!!!
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Do you have a GitHub repo?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Orbarth

Post by Orbarth »

Thank for this mod.
One of the very weak point of the original Daggerfall was this complete lack of interest in the wilderness, no encounter, no landmark, no interesting landscape, basically nothing to see, fast travel was then overused for good reason as wilderness was a waste of time.
Daggerfall Unity with mods started to change that and making the wilderness interesting, this mod is one of them like Warm Ashes is.

But what would be good settings for this ?

With the default settings, the whole Illiac Bay becomes an insane war zone, i started a new character, walked down the hill i started on (as i had disabled the default Privateer Hold start so i start directly outside) to the beach down there, noticing a lot "blablabla has died" message on my way down.
Once near the beach i understood why so many messgaes : there were hundred of corpses and monsters/people killing each other on the sea and on the beach.
I fast travelled to a nearby village (a town without walls i mean) and quickly the village morphed into a bloody carnage (great by the way that fast travel is not prevented by that amount of ai around).

I must admit it was very fun at first but i started to be concerned with the engine probably not going to be able to cope with much more corpses and npc/monsters duking it out constantly, and for actually playing the game i think it is way way too much (and this also result in insane amount of loot too).

Anyone found some settings that are more to par with usual open worlds encounter number/frequency as the default from what i experienced are rather crazy.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Orbarth wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:34 pm But what would be good settings for this ?

With the default settings, the whole Illiac Bay becomes an insane war zone [···]

Anyone found some settings that are more to par with usual open worlds encounter number/frequency as the default from what i experienced are rather crazy.
I agree. IIRC the default setting is minimum time for new spawn 10 seconds, maximum time 30 seconds. While these settings are fun 😂 , probably some more reasonable settings are like 150 seconds minimum time, and 300 seconds maximum time. I hadn't however time to test them, so it's a guess :?

L57

Post by L57 »

150 sec minimum seems even too high, I tested it a bit, apparently even lower threshold already guarantees no encounters for many minutes. I think it's better to keep minimum low (30 sec) and maximum very high, near 600 secs. Encounters should look more random and sudden then, I suppose. Also gonna try to increase spawn distance to the max — expecting more zones with rotting corpses instead of actual battles. That would a good sight too.