[MOD] Advanced Teleportation released

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
meritamas

[MOD] Advanced Teleportation released

Post by meritamas »

Advanced Teleportation

Will not be updating this thread. Please check out MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod here.

To the best of my knowledge, the newest version works with 0.10.27. There is an issue I detected with anchors created with older versions of DFU. A few details lower.

An override to the Teleport effect. Supports more anchors.
The number of anchors depends on Teleport Spell Level (explained lower).
Chances of success also depend on Spell Level, but also on the number of the anchor slot being used. The further down the list, the less the probability of success.

Please download from NexusMods

Current latest released version is 0.4

This is the first released version. Will be planning further development, refinements, alternative formulas based on community input etc.
Please report any bugs you encounter.

Fair warning. This is not a plug-and-play or a delete-and-gone mod. It could take a little effort to start using it with existing saves, and then some effort to remove it. Please read lower and in the readme.txt file, and keep your old save files until you become confident the mod is reliable. Did my best to make it so, but would not like to take blame for any losses :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020-05-21 JO5.png
2020-05-21 JO5.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 6477 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features

The mod provides an advanced override to the Teleport effect with support for more anchors.

When cast, the player is presented with a choice:
  • either attempt to set a new anchor
  • or to teleport to one of the anchors he already has.

Anchor setting.
The player can choose which one of the possible anchors he would like to overwrite. The number of available slots is contingent on Teleport Spell Level (explained lower) - it is twice the amount. The lower the slot is in the list, the less the likelihood of success.

Anchors can be named for easier reference.

If the player attempts to set an anchor, he either succeeds, setting the anchor, or fails, in which case nothing happens (apart from having expended the magicka anyway).

An example: if the player has a Teleport spell level of 8,
- the player will have the first 16 slots available
- about the first 2 of the anchors (a quarter of 8) will work all the time (100%)
- about another 2 anchors (another quarter of 8) will work nearly all the time (99%)
- from then on, the probability of success gradually changes,
- at 8 (equal to Spell Level) the chance is about two thirds
- at about 16 (twice the Spell Level) the chance reaches 0

Teleportation.
The number of anchor slots the player can access is two times Teleport Spell Level.
Only successfully created anchors are permitted targets (so at a Spell Level of 8, you will see only 2 targets if you have only set up two anchors in total).
Once selected a valid target, teleportation is attempted. The more down the list of anchor slots the target is at, the less chance the teleportation succeeds. If teleportation fails, in about one in four cases, nothing happens and in three in four cases, the player is randomly teleported to one of all the anchors he has (could be the one he originally aimed for, the chances are equal).

Teleporting into buildings.
I know of one issue: when you teleport into a building, you will need to exit and re-enter to regain functionality of the building.
More on the background of this issue in this other thread. The issue is set to go away starting from the version of the mod released for DFU 0.10.24 - thanks to Interkarma for making the needed modification to the game. This issue should be resolved now with version 0.5 released for 0.10.27. Please report if you still encounter the issue.

Important notice to version 0.5 to DFU 0.10.27: it may have been just my mod configuration but I got a report that the terrain sampler has been changed and the player repositioned. Then, when I tried to teleport to one of the anchors I had made with a previous version of DFU, I got teleported high into the sky (or below ground level) - I was falling away from everything I could detect. Weird. When I made an anchor via DFU 0.10.27 and teleported to it, it worked like normal.

Spell Level (SL) Calculation .
See my Unleveled Spells mod for a more general description. Here, I will only go into Teleport Spell Level.
Teleport Spell Level is contingent on Mysticism (the School the Teleport spell belongs to), Willpower and Luck.

Formulas introduced by the mod:
Skill Spell Level = (Mysticism - 9 ) /3
Willpower Spell Level = 10 + (Willpower / 5)

Luck will have a role in that there will be (Luck -50)/10 points available to increase (or decrease) the one of the aforementioned with the lower value.

Overall Spell Level is defined as the lower of Skill Spell Level and Willpower Spell Level after applying the Luck-points.
-
2020-05-21 JO2.png
2020-05-21 JO2.png (807.42 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
2020-05-21 JO4.png
2020-05-21 JO4.png (193.96 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
-
To install
Before applying the mod, you should remove any anchors mode with the built-in Teleport spell from the saves you wish to use the mod with.
If there is such a built-in anchor when the modded game loads a save, it will cause an anomaly. This is actually a bug. I plan to fix this issue in the next version which will be released for DFU version 0.10.24, but the mod seems usable with the described precaution even now.

10 JUNE 2020 UPDATE: Turns out this is not a bug, but a feature after all. :D
For details, see lower.

Removal
To uninstall the mod, you will first need to remove the modded spell effects from your save files.
You can use the "advanced-teleport-kill yes" console command to do this. Load the game in question, enter the console command, invoke the Teleport spell, then wait a few seconds and save the game. The new save should contain no modded effect (no anchors) and be usable with the mod uninstalled/turned off. This destroys the previously saved anchor data, so after turning the mod back on, you'd have to re-create these in-game.
Last edited by meritamas on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 18 times in total.

meritamas

Re: [MOD] Advanced Teleportation released

Post by meritamas »

PRE-EXISTING SAVES - WHY THE DESCRIBED STEPS ARE NECESSARY (10 JUNE 2020 UPDATE)

When installing or uninstalling the mod, there are certain steps that need to be taken to avoid serious anomalies (these are described higher)

Turns out this is not a bug, but a feature after all. :D
At least, I can't make the anomalies go away, for now, at least. Either this cannot be fixed or fixing it requires a knowledge higher than my own.

Seems that if you tweak the effects during the life of a character, all sorts of anomalies can arise. There shouldn't be such issues if the character is created with a specific mod configuration that doesn't change during the character's lifetime. Most of the time, however, this is not the case: we install (enable, update, disable etc.) mods all the time, so the issues arise.

Definitely one of the sources of these is the fact that effects are sometimes stored in save games (the ones active at the time of save). If the game creates a save with a particular mod on, the mod's things could get stored in the save game, too. Then, if you load the save game, without the appropriate mod on...

...well, in this case, it reads the effect data and if it encounters anything that belongs to the mod, it tries to instantiate an object whose class it doesn't know (effects have their own classes and no mod means that that particular class is not part of the code) - I expect the code doing that would throw an exception, exit and you end up with some game features lost (like: no HUD) because the code that would otherwise be providing them, had exited with an unhandled exception. A similar thing could be responsible for the anomalies when the mod is first introduced. If an instance of the original Teleport effect is stored in the save game (i.e. the player had an anchor set), some piece of the code tries to re-create the object from the save data and apply it to the character but somewhere in that process it hangs because the effect it is trying to apply had been overridden - it is no longer an effect registered with EntityEffectBroker (having the mod on means that it has already overridden the Teleport effect class).

I could find no way to prevent this from happening other than to ensure such effect is not in the saves to begin with. The best I could was to warn users of the issue, advise them on how to avoid it and provide an in-mod feature that would allow the 'removal' of the modded Teleport effect (under normal game circumstances, - because anchors can be overrideen but never deleted - it would never go away, so we needed a console command for that). I'll try to think of ways to improve QoL but so far this is the best I can do.
Last edited by meritamas on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Got a rather significant problem. I installed Advanced Teleportation on my main save, then disabled all mods and tried loading it again. The save is now bricked :lol: I just get a white screen with no other buttons available when the mod is disabled. I can only run that save with AT enabled.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

I suspect you need to do the following before removing the mod:
meritamas wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm Removal
To uninstall the mod, you will first need to remove the modded spell effects from your save files.
You can use the "advanced-teleport-kill yes" console command to do this. Load the game in question, enter the console command, invoke the Teleport spell, then wait a few seconds and save the game. The new save should contain no modded effect (no anchors) and be usable with the mod uninstalled/turned off. This destroys the previously saved anchor data, so after turning the mod back on, you'd have to re-create these in-game.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Eh, I'm terrible at reading instructions :lol: Thanks for pointing out my mistake in such a nice way.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:41 pm Got a rather significant problem. [...]
DigitalMonk wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:57 pm I suspect you need to do the following before removing the mod:
meritamas wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm Removal
To uninstall the mod [...]
Jay_H, thanks for reporting the issue (even though it had already been addressed but still, feedback is important, and you simply cannot read each line of forum thread... otherwise you'd never get to playing the game).

DigitalMonk, thanks for giving the solution.

I've been thinking about the source of these issues. I've edited in a more detailed explanation above (the text in blue). Anyone feel free to read. Also, I am open to suggestions, perhaps someone has encountered a similar problem and knows of a solution.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Curatorr

Post by Curatorr »

Hey. I installed the mod using version 10.24 yesterday on a new game and I was curious if anyone else had been having a similar issue and had any insight on the problem.

Whenever I used the recall spell it brings up the 'anchor' or 'teleport' screen as normal, however, after I click on either of the options, it freezes and CTD shortly after. After uninstalling recall works perfectly normal, but obviously doesn't have the features of the mod.

I have read of similar issues but not any solutions, so any help would be greatly appreciated, as the mod looks great!

hello

Post by hello »

great mod! unfortunately using this mod and level up adjuster together seems to be incompatible :(

maybe you and ralzar can talk and figure out what the problem is? i really want to use both mods they are both so cool!

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

I hope this mod will be updated in the future!
Original recall mechanic is so limited and it seems to expire somehow too. Besides, you don't even know if it's active at all! There's also an issue where dispelling magic effects on yourself will also dispel your recall mark, making it very frustrating.
Maybe even add a new "Divine Intervention" effect like in Morrowind that will teleport the player towards the nearest temple, if it's possible.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Curatorr wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:54 pm Hey. I installed the mod using version 10.24 yesterday on a new game and I was curious if anyone else had been having a similar issue and had any insight on the problem.

Whenever I used the recall spell it brings up the 'anchor' or 'teleport' screen as normal, however, after I click on either of the options, it freezes and CTD shortly after. After uninstalling recall works perfectly normal, but obviously doesn't have the features of the mod.

I have read of similar issues but not any solutions, so any help would be greatly appreciated, as the mod looks great!
hello wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:04 pm great mod! unfortunately using this mod and level up adjuster together seems to be incompatible :(

maybe you and ralzar can talk and figure out what the problem is? i really want to use both mods they are both so cool!
Will try. We should be able to work out something.
billyloist wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:42 am I hope this mod will be updated in the future!
Original recall mechanic is so limited and it seems to expire somehow too. Besides, you don't even know if it's active at all! There's also an issue where dispelling magic effects on yourself will also dispel your recall mark, making it very frustrating.
Maybe even add a new "Divine Intervention" effect like in Morrowind that will teleport the player towards the nearest temple, if it's possible.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
I plan to update the mod as soon as I can get to it. Unfortunately some other - non DFU related - projects of mine presently consume most of my time so it'll be a matter of weeks rather than a matter of days. I'll soon be installing the newest 10.26 version, and will try to get the mod to work on that one. The issue may be minor and easily solvable, but it could also be more difficult and require more time.

Adding further teleportation features is a thought. I wasn't thinking of divine intervention but rather some way to use the Mages Guild teleportation network (like teleport to the Mages Guild teleportation point nearest to a certain place) and after that even to choose a destination on the map and appear there. The distance and the precision available could be calculated by skill. The spells needed could be incrementally difficult. (All this is long-term though. Not planning to go at it this year and most probably even next year.)
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.