[MOD] Shield Module

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
l3lessed

Re: Shield Module

Post by l3lessed »

Okay, all I need to do is setup the mod settings page, and 3.0 is here. Only thing I have left is a patch for one or two mods in 3.1.

What has been added and will be completely controllable in settings.

Biggest graphical update is classic animation mode. This simulates the original 5 frame at 10 frames a second animation timing to split the animation into individual frames. It will disable walk bob no matter what, but all other animations are kept and have classic frame animations to them. This includes bash and onhit.

On top of a small increased push back when doing timed blocks, bucklers/round shields now reflect a percentage of the enemies damage back to them, which increases with the closer you get to the end of the timed block animation. This includes blood and sound effects for feedback and immersion. This rewards more agile players, not focused on strength, but more focused on agile builds and timings. Go in, timed deflect, counter attack, and dodge out. Since your not using allot of your own energy force, this doesn't require a noticeable amount of fatigue like bash tons.

Heaters and kite shields now have a bash attack. This can be triggered when the shield is fully raised and at no other point. It will shoot out a quick spherecast(Round sphere to simulate shield size) to detect if you hit them. No matter what, it will cost amount of fatigue based on your strength/damage (this cost, like everything, is reduced by training agility). It is a noticeable amount if you spam bash, so think before wasting the energy.

If you hit, it will knock back the enemy based on your base strength, It will also damage them, up to ten points, scaling with strength, This rewards more tanky, strength, endurance builds.

However, you can create interesting hybrids by using agility to decrease fatigue costs, and strength to increase bash damage, so you can have bash centered builds that still use high agility to allow for more, weaker type bashes. These are great for quick pusbacks/interrupts. This includes blood and sound effects for feedback and immersion.

One last note, bashes don't have any stun effect yet. Going to see if the pushback is enough. Technically, bashing should open your up. Fighters all the time got killed trying to place a mistimed bash/counter punch on enemies.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

3.0 just dropped.

Check out nexus for all the goodies and crap I added.

Here is a video of the classic animation system that was requested.

ZerioctheTank

Post by ZerioctheTank »

Did I just see you kill that imp with a shield bash? I'm really turned on right now.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Yep, I decided to tie it to hand-to-hand combat skill. It pretty much mimics fist attack; shoots out a raycast, calculates if a successful hand-to-hand hit is rolled, and calculates melee damage for the shield bash. This will make that skill more useful, outside of niche monk type builds.

If you're using buckler mechanics for the smaller two shields. The parry happens in place of a shield bash. If you block a hit while raising, you will knock the enemy attack out of the way and hit the enemy with the shield, doing a one frame stun to interrupt any enemy movements/attacks, and sending a percentage of their damage back to them based on how well you time the block.

Again, check out the nexus page. It is all there.

ZerioctheTank

Post by ZerioctheTank »

I'll have to uninstall physical combat and armor overhaul, and try this out. Bashing with a tower shield is just too tempting.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Don't worry. Over the next week or two, I'll be creating patches for said mod and others and fine tuning for the finished release.

ZerioctheTank

Post by ZerioctheTank »

No rush my friend. The features of this mod are too tempting to pass up that the temporary sacrifice will be worth it.

Mind

Post by Mind »

You're awesome. These classic animations are great, thank you

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

In preparation for release 3.1: Patch-O-Rama, I put up documentation for accessing my mod for modding and compatibility. You can see the article here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/articles/8

I also did a little code cleaning and hope to release two patches by Monday.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

3.1: Patch-O-Rama is here!

Now any modder can access this mod to both create compatibility patches and also possible unique sub-mod features. Technically, modders can change block angles, grab the attcker entity for manipulation, change block timing vars, and even states. However, that last one is not recommended unless you really understand what your doing as a modder.

For non-developers,
  • I did some cleaning up of the code
  • I also fixed a bug that allowed enemy hit effects to pass through shield blocks
  • I also made it so it doesn't play a block animation if you take 0 damage from the attack. I'm thinking about removing it, as it makes it harder to understand the block mechanics I think. Let me know what you think.
For developers looking to develop off my mod or create patches, you can find all the documentation and supporting code here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/articles/8

The script files you need to access the mods namespace and thus class objects and properties can be found here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Now another break from coding and time to enjoy some highly modded Fall Out 4.