[MOD] Shield Module

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Aleryn

Re: Shield Module

Post by Aleryn »

Shield use being more than a dice roll adds so much to one handed weapon options. Thank you for the hours of work this must have taken.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks man. Took some time, but thankfully, all the work I did on the weapon animations made setting this up much easier. The ultimate goal is to completely remove dice roll mechanics and move to modern systems for both armor and damage. The comes after the parry module is done.

Also, was hopping in to mention to mod users, I have finished a separate buckler mechanics system. It is for the smallest shield only. Also, I coded in a bash animation to use.

You cannot sustain hold it. It will stall for just a split second and then drop down by itself. You can start it again, if you wish, but you will reset your opening window.

However, the benefits are a much, much smaller vulnerability window. You can only be damaged for a tenth of the animation time versus 50 with the other shields. This is because the shield is much smaller and thus better at deflecting attacks in motion than outright blocking the force like the larger shields.

Also, the buckler has a quicker raise time than the other shields. The lower time is the same,. This setup maximizes the time the shield can be up, if you do timings correctly, despite having no sustain hold.

I haven't added it in, but, if you block an attack before the buckler begins lowering, it will do very little knock back, but it will do a small bash that applies a little damage, but stuns the enemies for a moment.

After that, shield bashing for the larger shields, once they have the sustain hold up and held.

Then largely done, outside the kite shield deployment.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

2.0 is here!

The thing I think most users will like the most is sound feedback. Also, the buckler has its own mechanics/style now, which can be disabled in the settings if you don't like it or want it.

Other small things, implemented a state type system to manage shield states and types more logically. I also did a little fine tuning on the timing system coding wise. However, I'm still every now in then seeing switches not flip on the proper frame render, but I'm dealing with millisecond calculations, and I know this is some what the unity/DFunity engine limitations.

Hemaka

Post by Hemaka »

great job
Last edited by Hemaka on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm honestly confused. What are you proposing exactly?

Are you saying to implement a new blocking mode. One that is solely based on chance, which is computed by creating a whole new skill called blocking?

If so, I do not believe I will be doing this. As stated in previous posts, I created this mod with the sole intention of moving away from chance based systems. This is a direct extension of my Combat overhaul project, and thus is guided by that projects overall goals/purpose. I'm trying to add as many setting options in as possible for those using base Daggerfall.

However, this would required creating a new script using my current one as the base structure. It wouldn't be crazy re-purposing the current code but having to setup the skill from scratch would take longer; but I have more important modules and other aspects of my projects to get to. I would be happy to help someone, if they wish to code it and release it themselves as a extension/patch of mine.

I could add a block skill, and use that instead of agility to modify how effective blocking is for the player, but it seems like more work for something that is some what redundant/not needed. Maybe, at some point, I can add it to adjust things like bash attack damage and stun.

Hemaka

Post by Hemaka »

To the question you ask is exactly that, a new skill that can be called "blocking" "Shield" will already be determined by the name who believes it, what I can say is that I am not a programmer, I do not know how much it can be done the script or if it can be done, it was just an idea to improve the mod that is more realistic and that anyone who plays can choose the shield as any skill, my intention has never been to influence the way the mod is developed by of the developer or change the objectives that were set

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

A block skill may come into play at some point, but for now, I'll rely on the agility ability for modifying the shields timings and speeds. It's just not top of my list.

Thanks again for the feedback and ideas, always welcome. Even if I don't develop them right away, I may later, or they may help me think of other things and get discussions going.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

2.1 was just released.

I realized I forgot to repack the textures into 2.0. This is fixed with some other small code cleaning/maintenance things.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 pm Right in the description of the first post and also on the nexus mod page.
Adjustable Mod settings to allow player full control of mod balance/properties, including turning on and off shield bobbing.
Okay, I'm blind, sorry about this :oops: Good job then, I think it's an awesome mod!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

No prob. I've done it to countless mod authors myself. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

I'm going to be adding settings for both the round and buckler to enable targe style blocking. The round shield will just be a little slower on the raising and vulnerability window, but have a larger hold window at the end allowing a little more play room versus the targe, if you pull up the shield a little to earlier.