[MOD] Realistic Wagon

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Arioch

Re: [MOD] Realistic Wagon

Post by Arioch »

Awesome work!

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with this mod - are you thinking of doing any more configurable options? I love being able to dismount my horse and actually seeing it in the game, but I'm not sure I want my Wagon Of Loadsa Loot getting pinched while I'm off adventuring. Wheelclamp option? :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Arioch wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 am Awesome work!

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with this mod - are you thinking of doing any more configurable options? I love being able to dismount my horse and actually seeing it in the game, but I'm not sure I want my Wagon Of Loadsa Loot getting pinched while I'm off adventuring. Wheelclamp option? :D
My vague idea so far is that your wagon is only at risk if you actually drop it on the ground in a city. So you can't, for example, arrive at a city in the middle of the night, leave the wagon and horse to climb into the city, sleep in a tavern and then return the next day and be guaranteed your stuff is still there.

Something like that. I agree that having your horse/wagon randomly get stolen without you haveing any way to negate that outcome would be tiresome.

However, for loss of wagon/horse I am thinking of wear&tear. Where the wagon might break or your horse collapse.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:17 amMy vague idea so far is that your wagon is only at risk if you actually drop it on the ground in a city. So you can't, for example, arrive at a city in the middle of the night, leave the wagon and horse to climb into the city, sleep in a tavern and then return the next day and be guaranteed your stuff is still there.

Something like that. I agree that having your horse/wagon randomly get stolen without you haveing any way to negate that outcome would be tiresome.

However, for loss of wagon/horse I am thinking of wear&tear. Where the wagon might break or your horse collapse.
Any thoughts on wagon maintenance to offset the wear&tear? I’ve been playing a lot of Frontier:Elite 2 recently, and if you don’t have your jumpdrive overhauled at least once per year then you run the risk of it malfunctioning and dumping you in the middle of nowhere.

As for a stolen wagon, would it be feasible to spawn the wagon at a nearby location and give the player a vague text-box pop up clue? Like, “you see wagon tracks leading North East” or something like that?

The most important question I feel is regarding a collapsed horse - can I beat it with a stick? :D

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

I think this could be an excellent mod which can make the game so much more realistic, well done!

Just would like to share some ideas of mine, in case you think they could make sense and you would like to consider them for further developments:

Horse can be killed: if an enemy hits you while riding an horse there could be a chance (10% maybe?) that you don't get any damage but your horse gets instantaneously killed. That would be a big loss, especially if you have a wagon too (in that case you would have to abandon it), but would add a bit more of thrill!

Age/Condition of the horse: after a while (months or few years) you own or use the horse, it will eventually die for natural reasons

Possibility to own more than one horse at time: to mitigate the risk of the two above mentioned events

More horse colors: why only brown horse? There could be white, black, grey etc...

Other animals: why not introducing few alternatives to horses? For example:

Camel: could be faster/more resistant in desert and jungle, while the horses could be faster/more resistant in woodlands/mountains. Also, camels could be purchased only in desert/jungle regions

Mule: slower and cheaper than the horse, but more resistant and can be equally used on all the type of grounds

Hope these could make sense and thanks again for your work on this!

brofin

Post by brofin »

Very cool!

Though I am a little confused with exactly how this works.
If you run the risk of having your stuff stolen when you leave the horse / wagon, how do you do anything like going into dungeons or buildings without losing all your gear?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

brofin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:51 pm Very cool!

If you run the risk of having your stuff stolen when you leave the horse / wagon, how do you do anything like going into dungeons or buildings without losing all your gear?
Well, first of all, that's not implemented yet.

But when (if) I implement it, you will only get your horse/wagon stolen if you place it outside in a city and leave it.

brofin

Post by brofin »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm
brofin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:51 pm Very cool!

Well, first of all, that's not implemented yet.

But when (if) I implement it, you will only get your horse/wagon stolen if you place it outside in a city and leave it.
Ohh sorry my bad, I didn't realize those were upcoming features =)

enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm Well, first of all, that's not implemented yet.

Will there be a time interval? If you're forced to drop it anytime you want to climb and that means you are eventually guaranteed to lose everything in your wagon, that may be problematic.

However, leaving the wagon for a lengthy period of time should bear risk.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

enderandrew wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm
Ralzar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm Well, first of all, that's not implemented yet.

Will there be a time interval? If you're forced to drop it anytime you want to climb and that means you are eventually guaranteed to lose everything in your wagon, that may be problematic.

However, leaving the wagon for a lengthy period of time should bear risk.
Agreed. The idea is generally that if you just put your wagon somewhere and then go off and sleep in an inn, for example, you can't be guaranteed the wagon will still be there when you return the next day.
So if you arrive at a city at night, it might not be such a great idea to just leave the horse and wagon to climb into the city.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I've just experienced a bit of weirdness with the mod - I'd saved my game in the throne room of Sentinel and when I exited the castle, my horse & cart had discovered the ability to hover:
They look to have spawned on the same level as the castle exit point:
They reset to the correct ground position if I enter & exit the castle.