[MOD] Torch Taker

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Torch Taker

Post by Ralzar »

Torch Taker
A mod for taking torches from the walls in dungeons and use them as your own.

Download

Premise: I play Daggerfall with light settings set way down and the Improved Interior Light mod. This causes dungeons to be really dark unless there is a lightsource nearby or you use a torch or lantern yourself. I feel this improves the games dungeon crawling atmosphere immensly and adds the extra challaenge of making sure you have packed enough lamp oil or torches for the trip.

Problem: Sometimes I run out of oil or torches. At that point I stumble around in the dark corridors except for when I run into wall-mounted torches. However, this is then just annoying because the obvious solution is just: take the damn torch off the wall and bring it with you! :D

The mod: If you click a torch in a dungeon, the torch disappears from the wall, plunging the area into darkness but gives you a new torch item in your inventory.

Notes: Compatible with Improved Interior Lighting mod. Torches that are also secret triggers are not possible to take.

Possible Plans:
Make it compatible with HPM.
Be able to take the tall torches as well.
Remove lots of torches when player enters certain types of dungeons.
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Torch Taker

Post by King of Worms »

Perfect, I really missed this function, thank you :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 am Perfect, I really missed this function, thank you :)

Well, it turned out to go faster than expected. I had so much problems with this mod to start with I expected it to take some time. But I think I just finished it. The mod is compatible with Improved Interior Lighting mod.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:55 am Torch Taker
A mod for taking torches from the walls in dungeons and use them as your own.

Download

Premise: I play Daggerfall with light settings set way down and the Improved Interior Light mod. This causes dungeons to be really dark unless there is a lightsource nearby or you use a torch or lantern yourself. I feel this improves the games dungeon crawling atmosphere immensly and adds the extra challaenge of making sure you have packed enough lamp oil or torches for the trip.

Problem: Sometimes I run out of oil or torches. At that point I stumble around in the dark corridors except for when I run into wall-mounted torches. However, this is then just annoying because the obvious solution is just: take the damn torch off the wall and bring it with you! :D

The mod: If you click a torch in a dungeon, the torch disappears from the wall, plunging the area into darkness but gives you a new torch item in your inventory.

Notes: Compatible with Improved Interior Lighting mod. Torches that are also secret triggers are not possible to take.
I think I’ll be giving this a try - btw the shortcut in your post points to your wagon mod.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Dammit, fixed.

Btw, this is the light settings I use.
I combine them with the Improved Interior Lighting mod where I leave everything at default mod settings.
LightSettings.PNG
LightSettings.PNG (136.64 KiB) Viewed 4381 times

Baler

Post by Baler »

This is awesome!
Thanks for your continued modding!

any plans to be able to place torches in the spots?

Also using fire isn't realistic in a deep dungeon. You would suffocate to death. But that's off topic.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I haven't thought about placing torches, but sure. I could if I wanted to. I allready do pretty much that with the camping equipment in Clinmates & Calories when I place a campfire.

Not quite sure what to do with that though, or how to make it work within the notext of the game.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

What a whimsical idea for a mod. Thank you for yet another fun and practical mod, Ralzar. Now to go copy those lighting settings and get the improved light mod too...

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

Torches go out very quickly, it is impossible to play with dark dungeons and activated "item based player torch". I don't remember, was it like that in the original?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Laicus wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:14 pm Torches go out very quickly, it is impossible to play with dark dungeons and activated "item based player torch". I don't remember, was it like that in the original?
Torches picked from the walls have a random condition. So they might last a long while, or a short while. If you want more predictable light sources: that's what the torches and lanterns in shop are for ;)