[MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jefetienne

[MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

Post by jefetienne »

Only Save After Resting (OSAR)
[v. 1.1 Updated 0.10.24 7/11/2020]
[Note: this mod only works 0.10.24+]

Nexus page

osar.png
osar.png (31.8 KiB) Viewed 2353 times

Was your last playthrough too easy? Or did your character feel too powerful?

Do you wish you didn't have the option to make fifteen different saves while fighting an ancient vampire to make it a fair fight?

Does your self-loathing from your save-scumming habits manifest in unhealthy ways?

Only Save After Resting (OSAR) makes your decisions more weighted by only allowing saving after resting. That's right - no longer can you save mid-combat or right next to a room full of enemies. You must plan your actions carefully and save at the right moments.
  • All normal prohibitions to resting must be taken care of in order to save.
    - Enemies must not be nearby, you must not be in mid-air, etc.
    - Any other factors, including from other mods that prohibit resting, must also be taken care of
  • Loitering doesn't count.
    - Taverns, homes and ships are more than just places to recover - they are safe havens for saving your progress
  • You must rest for at least one hour.
    - You can adjust the minimum hours up to 24 in the mod settings
  • Your rest must not be interrupted.
    - If you rest too long and an enemy spawns, you must fight or flee and hope not to die, so that you can try to save again
    - Any mods that interrupt will also prevent saving
By default, saving creates a "RestSave" and will get overwritten every time that you rest. This encourages you to play through a character with only one save.
  • If you want to make it easier for yourself, you can choose to allow prompting a save window in the mod settings instead so you can easily create multiple saves on a character.
  • It also possible to simply rename the "RestSave" in the load game window instead of using that "Use Rest Window" mod setting to prevent overwriting.
Also, this mod is completely harmless and you can remove it or disable it at any time without affecting anything saved.

Note: This mod is only compatible with other mods that do not override the default resting window behavior. This does not include retextures such as D.R.E.A.M., or mods that solely add additional interruptions or conditions to resting.
Last edited by jefetienne on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

Post by Ralzar »

Great addition man!

I have actually been toying with a similar idea, just coupled with only being able to rest in buildings and at campfires :D

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Reserved.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:31 pm Great addition man!

I have actually been toying with a similar idea, just coupled with only being able to rest in buildings and at campfires :D
Thanks!

And it can also be compatible with it so long as long as it doesn't modify the rest window. Later on (I guess 0.10.26 since 25 is reserved for the Unity engine upgrade) I might also extend the resting events to pass on parameters in an EventArgs so I won't need to override the window for the engine itself.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

jefetienne wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm
Thank you for a great mod!
It adds tension and very well weans from the bad habit of constantly pressing the save button.
It would be very convenient if the game was saved automatically after sleep.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Laicus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 pm Thank you for a great mod!
It adds tension and very well weans from the bad habit of constantly pressing the save button.
It would be very convenient if the game was saved automatically after sleep.
Thank you so much :) I was thinking of it saving without prompting, but I kept the prompt in case if someone were to visit an older save and needed to rest doing it.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Here's another genuine and heartfelt thank you, jefetienne. I didn't realize I've wanted something like this until about five seconds after my first rest save. As mentioned by others; the tension added to the game and meaning given to restful and safe sleep is rather game-changing.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Aleryn wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:06 am Here's another genuine and heartfelt thank you, jefetienne. I didn't realize I've wanted something like this until about five seconds after my first rest save. As mentioned by others; the tension added to the game and meaning given to restful and safe sleep is rather game-changing.
This absolutely! Trying this out on my current playthrough, and it's awesome!! (It's a survival-style TT+WA+CC playthrough, so knowing when to rest is incredibly important)

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Thanks both of you :) It's definitely a game-changer that makes you rethink the normal playstyle of dungeon crawling.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I just downloaded this and am going to start testing it to see if I'll add it to my recommended mods list (I probably will).

But before even testing it I have a small observation...

The mod file is named "only save after saving" :D