[MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Laicus

Re: [MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

Post by Laicus »

I do not see any problems when playing with this mod, the restriction is very sparing, it still remains possible to save often, and run to the tavern is not a problem, I would like at least three additions to the mod:
1. the time interval between saves is not less than 10 minutes
2. paid saves (or buying stones or just reducing money when saving)
3. to save, you need to charge the save stones with the souls of killed NPCs
For example, for one stone, three killed NPCs, or just for each save, you need three (or more) killed NPCs, i.e. if 300 NPCs are killed during the game, you can save 100 times. The more of these rules, the more interesting it is to play, and to run in a relaxed way, saving at every step and knowing that in the event of death, you will be loaded with impunity from almost the same place - this is too boring. For which I do not like vanilla TES (especially, starting with Oblivion) - they are too casual.

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

For more convenience, I started using Autosave mod together with OSAR, set the autosave interval to 15 minutes, but it would be better if the game was autosaved only in safe places (settlements). In OSAR I disabled the Save Window, and it would be nice to once a day (or few days) the game is saved in a separate save, which would not be overwritten until you reached the maximum number of saves (e.g. 100), I don't know if in DFU any bugs with quests or something affecting the game, but I would not like to find an impassable bug, having only one save. Of course, I can disable the mod or change its settings, but this is not the case, I want to almost forget about saves and use only rest and unobtrusive (and rare) autosaves. For me, this is a significant improvement in immersion.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Thanks for the suggestions, Laicus. I'm really glad you like the mod and have a lot of cool suggestions I'd like to see for it. I might work on adding some of the features later in the future, but right now it seems the mod isn't popular enough at the moment (only 37 downloads, 27 unique as of writing this) and I'll have to put it aside for now since I have other mods and engine work I also need to get to, unless if someone else wants to help with it.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

People just do not feel what kind of immersion gives the mod, or do not want to give up the usual simplicity, I would advise them to enter in the console tgm and do not suffer. Saves without restrictions, in my opinion, is the Achilles heel of the vast majority of PC games. When I play (in any game) for some time without saves, I feel as the level of adrenaline increases and the game tightens much more, because you begin to learn to control your every movement and carefully monitor the situation, and in the event of death, you curse everything around, and with free saves, the feeling that you really survive is not at all, you relax and as a result, the game begins to cause a yawn. I always felt that any freebie in the game reduces the pleasure of the game process, it is better to break the keyboard and mouse, and drink half a can of Valerian, than to play as if walking in the Park.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Agreed with that. Playing only with Quicksave I've lost three characters so far. Still, it doesn't feel quite right. Because it's pretty much just poison (without Cure Poison available) that can "capture" the player in an unwinnable scenario.

With lots of saves, the entire game is just a question of time when you're going to win.

I have gotten more and more used to OSAR and I'm a fan. It could do with a couple of tweaks/features so I didn't have to rest just to save while in town.
We need some kind of save mod. The Ironman mod was a bit too hardcore I felt. I'll have to think some more about this in the future (after I make Realistic Wagon properly and launch my werewolf mod).

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

On the one hand, in a city where there are no enemies nearby, restrictions on saving are not so important, but still there are situations when a save can be used as a pure cheat, for example, when stealing. As a way out of the situation, I see rare autosaves that are independent of the player, it turns out that before some risky business you must either wait 10-20 minutes for an autosave (but this is tedious and eventually teaches you to take risks) or act, knowing that you will not have a second chance to perform the same action with impunity. If I knew how to create mods, I would disable manual saves outside of taverns and leave only autosaves after a 10-20 min interval (and with the same restrictions as for Rest), or make saves very expensive (as described above), or all of this together, but in any case there must be time intervals and monetary costs. Freebies are one of the worst things in our lives. :)
Last edited by Laicus on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:56 am We need some kind of save mod. The Ironman mod was a bit too hardcore I felt. I'll have to think some more about this in the future (after I make Realistic Wagon properly and launch my werewolf mod).
Why not a merge between the two? Your permanent save is made when you sleep in any safe area like a tavern, FG, or owned home. Other than that you can make any number of saves, but they'll all be deleted if you die. This gives a safe point of return, but also a sense of loss (and a way to prevent cheap permadeaths to poison and disease).

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:12 am ...you can make any number of saves, but they'll all be deleted if you die.
I thought about it, but there is a loophole here - with low HP, you can just load the last save and not lose any progress, so this is not an option. To make the gameplay more intense and interesting, you need restrictions during the game. I don't see any other options other than creating rules for saves based on game events, places, items, time, and money (maybe something else, but I think these are the main conditions).

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I suggested something on the discord. Here is a refined version of that:

* 2 Saves: TravelSave and DungeonSave
* TravelSave: Saves each time you enter a map pixel with a location and each time you enter/exits a building.
* DungeonSave: Autosaves in dungeons every 5 minutes. If you die, this save is deleted. (Alternative: OSAR)

So it's not TRUE ironman, but if you die in a dungeon, you have to load back to the TravelSave, which will be at outside the dungeon entrance.

Possible addition: Dungeon Lives. You could have a certain amount of deaths before the DungeonSave gets deleted. Possibly based on Willpower? Luck? A difficulty setting?

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am * 2 Saves: TravelSave and DungeonSave
* TravelSave: Saves each time you enter a map pixel with a location and each time you enter/exits a building.
* DungeonSave: Autosaves in dungeons every 5 minutes. If you die, this save is deleted. (Alternative: OSAR)
I like the idea of splitting into two types of saves, but I would not apply save deletion to DSave (I explained the reason in the previous post, but this is not important) and autosave should only be performed outside of combat (like Rest), and I would make the TSave conditions the same as DSave (only without deleting saves), but the autosave interval should be adjusted independently for DSave and TSave, and saves when opening the map and entering/exiting should be optional. Then you will get a mod for both moderate and hardcore players.
Ralzar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am Possible addition: Dungeon Lives. You could have a certain amount of deaths before the DungeonSave gets deleted. Possibly based on Willpower? Luck? A difficulty setting?
Hmm, set the number of lives in the mod settings? The more settings, the better. Or that, in case of death, one save was removed sequentially, starting with the last one (but this is quite some kind of sophistication). In general, I for one life, even if at death, all DSave will be deleted.