[MOD] Lively Cities

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Daniel87

Re: [WIP] Lively Towns

Post by Daniel87 »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:12 am The NPCs remain outdoors. Good if you're looking for directions! Unfortunately the technical capability isn't there (yet) to hide these NPCs at night-time, but they're working on it.

Some NPCs in Arena also stay outdoors at night, so there's some continuity there!
And when in Daggerfall and attacked by ghosts, the NPCs will also just stand by idle?
I wonder if Daggerfall Unity has the capability to add a similar daily routine system to the NPCs as in Skyrim, where every NPC was accounted for with a private live etc.

Besides of the bland outdoor landscapes (which I will attend to again in the near future with my mod), the generic NPC internaction and detachedness from the player is something that really bothers me. It's difficult to feel anything for these characters when there is no emotions involved and they are completely generic spawns.

I know this is definitely not within the scope of this mod, but does anyone think it's possible top add a fundamentally different NPC system to daggerfall via mods?
In Julianos we Trust.

Seferoth

Re: [MOD] Lively Cities

Post by Seferoth »

Great idea, but does not work well with D.R.E.A.M, all static NPC's on streets are default Daggerfall pixelated models instead of D.R.E.A.M models.

Also about 99% of all settlements and cities does not have single static npc on the street. Does this work properly with the latest DFU version?

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Seferoth wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:45 pm Great idea, but does not work well with D.R.E.A.M, all static NPC's on streets are default Daggerfall pixelated models instead of D.R.E.A.M models.

Also about 99% of all settlements and cities does not have single static npc on the street. Does this work properly with the latest DFU version?
Don't know about DREAM but in general, works fine in 0.13.3. Check esp. temple surroundings - if you see static NPCs there, you know it is working. If not, try to check your load order.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

haloterm wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:29 pm
Seferoth wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:45 pm Great idea, but does not work well with D.R.E.A.M, all static NPC's on streets are default Daggerfall pixelated models instead of D.R.E.A.M models.

Don't know about DREAM but in general, works fine in 0.13.3. Check esp. temple surroundings - if you see static NPCs there, you know it is working. If not, try to check your load order.
Load order seems to do the trick. I now have static NPC near temples, still finding pixelated NPC though. Still, it seems to work now. Thanks for reminding me about the load order.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Hello!

No update, but I simply wanted to write my train of thoughts for future updates. If any of you have ideas on how to disable/enable NPCs under time of day and weather conditions, that would be great. :)

- Disabling/Enabling certain NPCs depending on time of day (Inn Patrons/Prostitutes at night, children and commoners only seen during the day)
- Disabling NPCs on rainy days
- New and more Redguard sprites to cover desert towns.

StarMadeKnight

Post by StarMadeKnight »

I may be able to help with some new vanilla-friendly Redguard sprites in the near future :) Not very well-versed in DFU's modding tools admittedly, if I sent you an archive with just the PNG files would that be sufficient for your needs?

EDIT: Had some time this evening, whipped out a couple as a proof of concept 8-)

Image Image
Attachments
Juggler.zip
(26.47 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

gunsling3r

Post by gunsling3r »

How can I edit each character graphics and put it in game. I am reading through tutorials but a personal guide would be best. Are you editing game data at all for this mod?

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

StarMadeKnight wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:48 pm I may be able to help with some new vanilla-friendly Redguard sprites in the near future :) Not very well-versed in DFU's modding tools admittedly, if I sent you an archive with just the PNG files would that be sufficient for your needs?

EDIT: Had some time this evening, whipped out a couple as a proof of concept 8-)

Image Image
Those are beautiful! I'll have to try getting them in-game. Thankfully, getting custom sprites is a bit easier than custom models. I'll keep you updated. :)
gunsling3r wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:58 am How can I edit each character graphics and put it in game. I am reading through tutorials but a personal guide would be best. Are you editing game data at all for this mod?
For Lively Cities, I'm using buildings' exteriors to put NPCs on the streets. It's a way to avoid editing a block file altogether and also avoid conflicts with mods editing the same block files.

To learn how to add custom sprites and models, you can check out Hazelnut's world data tutorial. It's explained in it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hey Cliff, Id like to maybe finalize the compatibility in between our mods.

Do u use the animated versions of sprites like 180_2-0 / 3-0 only, or do u use the static ones as well?
Do u have some list of the NPCs u added, so I dont miss any more?

Also, do u have discord handle so I can add u?

Ty

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Wouldn't it be nice if people in cities were not just random bots but lived somewhere and were going somewhere?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.