[MOD] Bestiary

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Shapur

[MOD] Bestiary

Post by Shapur »

BESTIARY

Description

Bestiary is a mod, that reintroduces the Bestiary as seen in one of Daggerfall's demos, and further builds upon it.

Pressing "B", or the hotkey of choice, in-game will open the screen, as can be seen in this YouTube video.

Bestiary fully supports D.R.E.A.M. and other texture replacement mods. (the D.R.E.A.M. patch will be integrated into D.R.E.A.M. itself with it's next update)

Credits

Changelog
Spoiler!
Initial release

Rebuilt for DFU 12.2
Added dependencies check for Bestiary - DREAM patch, to ensure it always overrides bestiary data and isn't loaded without it
Fixed some entries showing incorrect spells
Added support for Kab's Unleveled Spells
Mod settings can now be edited mid-game (all except ClassicMode)

Killcounts are now tracked
Minor entry text change

Added "Bestiary" item, that spawns in the world
Added options setting to only unlock the Bestiary after finding the "Bestiary" item
Added options setting to only display entries of beasts already slain

Added more customization options
Added language skill required for pacification
Improved text formatting
Reworked a part of the internal, hopefully increasing stability
Fixed a bunch of bugs

All credit goes to Jagget. He did all the work.
Uplifted interface
Added ACTIVE state to buttons
Smashed some bugs

Reworked text database
Reworked page rendering
Fix humanoid bug
Vampires could also carry the book
The chance of the item spawning is lower now
Makes the mod updatable from other mods. (No need to built-in support for Unleveled Spells)
Fixed the darkened monster textures
Added text color settings (for alternative skins)

Added ability for mods to modify existing pages, and to register extra pages

Performance improvements, better DREAM compatibility

Links
Last edited by Shapur on Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:17 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Bestiary

Post by King of Worms »

Congrats on the release, very glad to see it and thank you for a nice cooperation!

If I might add for a wishlist - adding a mob to bestiary only after 1st kill would be nice and offer a sense of progression. After that kill a text like "beast XYZ has been added to your bestiary" might pop up to let player know whats up.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:57 pm Congrats on the release, very glad to see it and thank you for a nice cooperation!

If I might add for a wishlist - adding a mob to bestiary only after 1st kill would be nice and offer a sense of progression. After that kill a text like "beast XYZ has been added to your bestiary" might pop up to let player know whats up.
Thanks,
the wishlist has been updated.
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Version 1.1 released
  • Rebuild for DFU 12.2
  • Added dependencies check for Bestiary - DREAM patch, to ensure it always overrides bestiary data and isn't loaded without it
  • Fixed some entries showing incorrect spells
  • Added support for Kab's Unleveled Spells
  • Mod settings can now be edited mid-game (all except ClassicMode)
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Version 1.2 released
  • Killcounts are now tracked
  • Minor entry text change
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Coming soon along with adding a mob to bestiary only after the 1st kill
Attachments
2021_10_04_15_47_12.jpg
2021_10_04_15_47_12.jpg (224.08 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
2021_10_04_15_45_06.jpg
2021_10_04_15_45_06.jpg (237.32 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
Link to my github here.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Shapur wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:48 pm Coming soon along with adding a mob to bestiary only after the 1st kill
Can you make that an option? I like the possibilty to have the enemies available right from the start.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

haloterm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:34 pm
Shapur wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:48 pm Coming soon along with adding a mob to bestiary only after the 1st kill
Can you make that an option? I like the possibilty to have the enemies available right from the start.
Already thought of that :)
There are currently 3 "modes":
  • Always unlocked - Does what it says
  • Book item - The whole thing is locked, until you find the book and click USE on it
  • Kill to unlock - Makes an entry viewable, only after you kill the corresponding monster (like Witcher 3)
P.S.: I wonder how many quotes can you nest
Attachments
2021_10_04_17_49_06.jpg
2021_10_04_17_49_06.jpg (103.76 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Link to my github here.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

haloterm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:34 pm
ya i see the book as something you can buy to learn about monsters but its expensive. Or you can maintain your own bestiary on top of the official one that youd find in bookstores or maybe only guild libraries.

Your own would fill in when you killed the monster (or learn from the main bestiary) and contain your kill counts and other personal info while the purchasable is static and just contains all known info on the monster. (known by the authors at the time of writing.)

Maybe in guilds you can ask members to tell you about monsters and itll fill in your bestiary or buy training to learn about liches or werewolves.

Perhaps this is all too far out of place for this mod lol. The best use for it is to know what hits what in the early game, if you forgot loljk. This does however add a nice RP element that could be fun. If only we could ensure its game world impact
Shapur wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:52 pm
Already thought of that :)
There are currently 3 "modes":
  • Always unlocked - Does what it says
  • Book item - The whole thing is locked, until you find the book and click USE on it
  • Kill to unlock - Makes an entry viewable, only after you kill the corresponding monster (like Witcher 3)
good stuff

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok my browser crashed when I finished this bug report, one more try :evil:

Missing frames:
Front facing animations of Scorpion, Spider, Seducer, Dreugh, Lamia, Zombie are missing some frames

Added rotations:
I know they cause performance issue (can that be solved?) but they also cause visual bugs, where these added frames look very dark.
Spoiler!
DaggerfallUnity 2021-10-11 13-37-20.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2021-10-11 13-37-20.jpg (446.37 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
Dragonling - this mob has duplicate archives in DFU. Its in archive 295 and 289. DFU uses 289 ingame, so DREAM uses the same. Your mod uses 295. This causes the mob to render in low res when using DREAM. Changing the archive from 295 to 289 in your mod will solve this bug.

Scorpion front facing frame has performance issues and looks dark. This whole mob is switched. In other mobs, when I rotate the mob right, I get the perf issues and dark frames. Scorpion has these problems when rotated to the LEFT and viewed from FRONT. View from back has no issues, while other mobs have issues when using this view.

If these bugs could be solved, it would make the DREAM compatibility much better.

FRONT FACING ATTACK ANIMATIONS:

Wereboar and werewolf - when turned on, the mob disappers in some frames.
Nymph, Orc, mummy, skeleton, fish - missing some frames

I think there might be more missing frames around, you should check that, its re-occurring bug. Also check other than front facing attack animations. Just a suggestion tho. But the mod needs a bit more polish.

If I can help with something, pls let me know.