[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AlexanderSig

Re: [MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10) - UPDATE Oct 2020

Post by AlexanderSig »

@Pango: Thanks! It's often difficult to imagine all the different locations these models are used in when remaking them, so feedback like this is appreciated. I'll try to fix the bridge but not sure what I can do about the fish... in the original sprite it definitely looks like a dead fish lying on the ground, so it's kind of strange of the developers to use it like that... :/
King of Worms wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:35 am On signs
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I agree that looks better, I think I went the way I did because the original signs are like that. I wonder if it's better to make the frame brighter instead of the sign darker though. I think there still needs to be a mix of the three different colors for variety, to make them easier to tell apart and to match the original design. Shouldn't take more than an hour total to change this, I still have all the layered source files.

Regarding the lampposts I think this is also an issue of staying too true to the original. I simply made them load the original light settings for simplicity. But yeah I think I'll look into making it at least with a slight tint of yellow/orange. :)

Been busy with work lately but should have some time around christmas. I'll leave this up for discussion for now to see if there are any major protests.

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10) - UPDATE Oct 2020

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Alexander,
I think I went the way I did because the original signs are like that. I wonder if it's better to make the frame brighter instead of the sign darker though
Yup originals are brighter, but very slightly. New version is too bright compared to that
For Gods sake, dont match the frame to the sign, please :D
Comparison of original vs new (spoiler not working..) This is at sundown so the brightness is not so staggering
01.jpg
01.jpg (172.3 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
Regarding the lampposts I think this is also an issue of staying too true to the original.
I understand you did it for this reason to stay true to original 100%.
But honestly, staying true to the original, where orange lights cast white LED light... Lets abandon this and make it actually look good :) Im glad you up to this idea.

Been busy with work lately but should have some time around christmas
Got it :) If I was given the sings to work at, it would be ready by that time and you could decide if you like it or not ;)
Be well!
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onionland

Post by onionland »

Regarding the sign, I would personally lower the alpha of the symbol on it just a couple percent as well, since you can usually see the pattern of the wood below regular paint on wood, right now it looks much to crisp for something out and exposed to the elements.

As for something even more nitpicky: I would also either center the symbol such that the eye in it is centered, or squish the symbol a little, as the top of the eyebrow (top right corner) is a little too close to the edge of the frame, as compared to the rest of the symbol

Edit: Wanted to add that I absolutely love the work on the models

Baler

Post by Baler »

Maybe it's magic paint. :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi AlexanderSig, I have a bug to report with your excellent mod.

The issue is players are colliding with invisible barriers on the surrounding terrain near cities with walls. This is encountered by players when using my travel & roads mods, they hit an invisible wall and cannot move forward. I have finally managed to reproduce the issue and narrow it down to the buildings module of this mod.

Looking at what is happening in Unity, all the replacement city wall meshes (except for gates) have a "445 city wall actual door" element which is huge and offset way away from the city iself, embedded in the terrain. This has a collision mesh which is what the player is colliding with it seems. I know very little about 3D models etc so that's all I can tell you.

I have taken some screens of this issue in Unity. First shows the wall section selected and you can see the outline of the actual door in blue in the distance. The second shows the mesh selected and up close, and you can see the axis tool is way over on the town walls.

InvisibleWalls1.JPG
InvisibleWalls1.JPG (467.93 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
InvisibleWalls2.JPG
InvisibleWalls2.JPG (292.01 KiB) Viewed 5906 times

I have a savefile that reproduces the issue as long as you have Mountains & Hills (so the player is not repositioned) and Handpainted Models - Buildings active. Let me know if you need that to help fixing the issue, or if there's anything else I can help with.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Malfal

Post by Malfal »

Holy cr@p! This perfectly describes my experience travelling east into my chosen homebase of Cromwych Hill, Daggerfall. When travelling along the road, I just get pushed to the right as if by an invisible wall...eventually I get to the edge of the invisible wall and can get back to the road, but I was never able to figure out why. Huh :-)

I've experienced it at other cities too, but I would have to travel around a bit to remember which ones.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Holy sh&t those are some big doors :lol: Maybe they are the origin of the gates of oblivion?

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

@Hazelnut

Thanks, I guess I messed up the scale on that object when I was updating the walls for the last patch. Probably won't be hard to fix this :)

pango

Post by pango »

Hi AlexanderSig,

They're collider issues with the latest version of coffins, I saw a streamer getting stuck trying to go inside an upright one, and experienced an issue that's probably just a variant of the same in the Mantellan Crux, because in one place (in front of the "inca temple") you're supposed to be able to jump on one:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
If you try that with the handpainted model you get stuck, and the coffin doesn't move up and down as it should.
Each time I crouch then stand up, I also get deeper inside the model, until I fall thru...
Attachments
SAVE912.zip
(211.49 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

AlexanderSig wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:51 am @AlexanderSig
Ive posted a new issue over on nexusmods bug section.