[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: [MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v1.83c)

Post by pango »

I reported some issue with hitting enemies in cages some time ago, but after watching some stream I wonder if the same problem could happen with some portculli models...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

pango wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:58 pm I reported some issue with hitting enemies in cages some time ago, but after watching some stream I wonder if the same problem could happen with some portculli models...
I fixed that a few days ago actually, used your savegame to test it, will come in the next version. Portcullis model isn't replaced in this mod.

Baler

Post by Baler »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 pm Perfect, so glad to see this mod being worked on again

pango

Post by pango »

AlexanderSig wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:26 pm I fixed that a few days ago actually, used your savegame to test it, will come in the next version. Portcullis model isn't replaced in this mod.
Okay, cool! So if there's really an issue with porticullis, it has to be something else...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

I decided to remake this type of coffin from scratch. I am trying to make the new version more dilapidated and realistic but I feel the model I made in 2017 (on the left) was too modern in design. Still a work in progress.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I dunno about the skeleton. I see that everyone is on board with the change, and I don't want to discourage Alexander's work - what you do is amazing, and the quality is great, I just don't feel it fits the style. Too MMO/Mobile cartoony style, similar to WoW, while the old one was quite old school, similar to Morrowind's and Oblivion's model.

IMO the old model worked better for Daggerfall aesthetic. It is bright and colorful, but it also is dark and gritty in parts, and definitely different from modern cartoonish low poly style. It has its charm, and the work is amazing, I'm not saying otherwise, I just think that more realistic proportions would work better in Daggerfall's case.
skel.png
skel.png (454.49 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
I am talking especially about the width of the bones, their number, etc. It just won't be the same game to me if style shifted this much.

I love how the skeletons are made in Morrowind and Oblivion specifically (not a huge fan of Skyrim's), but took a look around for more modern examples, and I think found something similar to what I think could be a modern hand-painted low poly example of what I think would look good in game on sketchfab:
skel2.png
skel2.png (143.95 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
P.S. Just my 5 cents, if it's not what you're going for - that's okay ;) It's your project - you are the boss.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice progress!

Just a note - the fountains are a bit too clean and cartoony, they feel a bit out of place to me. I vaguely remember we spoke about it last year. I can help making the textures feel a bit more rugged if needed. Also, arent there 2 fountain types in Daggerfall? I think those 2 models were replaced with only one variant. Might be wrong tho..

Anyway, have fun with the mod, great to see a progress on this mod I consider essential.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

NikitaTheTanner wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:15 am I dunno about the skeleton. I see that everyone is on board with the change, and I don't want to discourage Alexander's work - what you do is amazing, and the quality is great, I just don't feel it fits the style. Too MMO/Mobile cartoony style, similar to WoW, while the old one was quite old school, similar to Morrowind's and Oblivion's model.

IMO the old model worked better for Daggerfall aesthetic. It is bright and colorful, but it also is dark and gritty in parts, and definitely different from modern cartoonish low poly style. It has its charm, and the work is amazing, I'm not saying otherwise, I just think that more realistic proportions would work better in Daggerfall's case.

skel.png

I am talking especially about the width of the bones, their number, etc. It just won't be the same game to me if style shifted this much.

I love how the skeletons are made in Morrowind and Oblivion specifically (not a huge fan of Skyrim's), but took a look around for more modern examples, and I think found something similar to what I think could be a modern hand-painted low poly example of what I think would look good in game on sketchfab:
skel2.png

P.S. Just my 5 cents, if it's not what you're going for - that's okay ;) It's your project - you are the boss.
I appreciate the feedback and the kind words. Although the older model was more anatomically correct I think it has a lot of weaknesses, the texturing and shading is very bad, it's not in the same art style as the rest of the models (handpainted) and it is way more demanding on performance than it needs to be. Image

I do agree that the newer model is not perfect, the anatomy of especially the rib cage could be better, but it does greatly improve on the points listed above. The model you linked looks amazing and I'd love to use it in the mod but I would need years of further practice to be able to make something like that. 90% of my modeling and texture experience comes from youtube videos and making mods for Daggerfall and my occupation is in a completely unrelated field.

Making an optional download to use the old style of skeletons would really only take me a few minutes so I could do that.
King of Worms wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:36 am Nice progress!

Just a note - the fountains are a bit too clean and cartoony, they feel a bit out of place to me. I vaguely remember we spoke about it last year. I can help making the textures feel a bit more rugged if needed. Also, arent there 2 fountain types in Daggerfall? I think those 2 models were replaced with only one variant. Might be wrong tho..

Anyway, have fun with the mod, great to see a progress on this mod I consider essential.
Thanks! Yeah I think it would be nice to overhaul that model sometime soon so we should probably hold off on re-texturing it. I feel like I've picked up a lot of new tricks and methods these past few years that I can apply to my older models. I sometimes go to Daggerfall in Elder Scrolls online to find inspiration for modeling, I saw this fountain in Sentinel that I like so I might create a desert variation that is similar in some ways.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Getting inspiration from more recent TES games is a way to go, thumbs up