[0.11.2] Rats Cant Climb Stairs

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
Teralitha

[0.11.2] Rats Cant Climb Stairs

Post by Teralitha »

Not sure if this has always been the usual behavior for rats, but I only just noticed they cant climb stairs. I suppose this is why most places have ramps instead of stairs.

pango

Re: [0.11.2] Rats Cant Climb Stairs

Post by pango »

Just checked, and they can climb stairs in classic.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

So its a bug then.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for checking Pango. Will move to bug reports so we can investigate later.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmFJyaXeKeA

I tried changing the option for improved combat AI to see if that caused it but made no difference. The stairs have a weird shape though, and that may have something to do with it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, stairs suck in Daggerfall. They're all kinds of weird in terms of riser and tread ratio, and don't have nice physics meshes to help traverse. Everything is scooting around on raw arbitrary geometry which is painful to code for.

My guess is that rats are having troubles because their collider height relative to stair riser height is beyond the controller's maximum step property. Hopefully it's something we can tune out without breaking something else.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Have taken a first pass at this one. Problem appears to partly involved with obstacle avoidance. I think the lower eyeline of the rat perceives the step in front of it as a wall and tries to route around it.

What's interesting is that just disabling obstacle avoidance alone doesn't solve the issue. Also needed to increase height of capsule to be in line with taller mobs so rat can step that high. So full issue appears to cross over a couple of areas - AI and controller physics.

Will need to loop back to this one later.