Regarding Faction Inactivity Penalties...

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Highyena

Regarding Faction Inactivity Penalties...

Post by Highyena »

(Not sure if this is the right category for this, let me know.)

I never played the original game to the point where I could observe this, but I was wondering about how reputation loss works in factions, more specifically the loss of reputation due to inactivity.

According to UESP, you loose 1 point of rep per month in a faction if you haven't done a successful quest for them within that time. It also says that there are exceptions, and that you will stop getting those penalties once you've reached a certain rank within the faction (heres the specific page - http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Reputation). Thus far, I have only joined one faction, the "Knights of the Rose" in Wayrest, and have achieved the maximum rank with them. However, I am still loosing points for inactivity from them.

UESP wasn't very specific regarding this, so I'm not sure if I'm just misreading it or that it's in error. Does this only work for certain factions? Perhaps this may just have not been implemented properly in Unity yet? If this is how things are supposed to function though, I was also wondering if an option could be added (post 1.0) so that you could maintain your rep without having to be bothered with a quest all the time (you would still have to work for it and achieve maximum rank, of course). I know 1 point a month isn't a huge deal, but its certainly one of those nagging things in the back of your mind, especially when trying to juggle every possible faction you can join at once.

Jay_H

Re: Regarding Faction Inactivity Penalties...

Post by Jay_H »

Many things on Daggerfall UESP are unchallenged traditions. Unless there's a specific derivation for what's stated there, we don't need to trust it.

For years people stated that spells can belong to 2 or 3 magic schools at a time, for instance. I tested it myself and know that's not true, but the idea still persists out there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

From what I recall, legal rep normalisation is already implemented. Basically legal reputation trends towards 0 at the rate of 1 point per month. Negative reps increase towards 0 and positive reps decrease toward 0.

I can't recall if this normalisation had been implemented for guild reputations yet. In any case, it shouldn't be much of a problem in practice. Just one guild quest every few months should be enough to keep you in good standing.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, I forgot to mention that specifically :) Reputation normalization does exist; any exceptions are unproven so far.

Highyena

Post by Highyena »

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I'll just reiterate if its possible to implement something post 1.0 that prevents the loss of rep once you've achieved max rank. Again, not a huge deal, but just a nice thing to have for those of us who are more OCD about it.

Something else I'm wondering is that I received a house at the maximum rank. If I was to fall below rank, would I loose it (and everything I've stored in it)?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The way things are setup now, you won't lose the house once obtained. I don't believe this happens in classic either if you get ejected from guild after obtaining house.

It wouldn't be difficult for someone to arrest reputation decay with an option or something. But this is such an integral part of the Daggerfall experience it would be a shame to turn this off. One of the best parts of Daggerfall is the game actively fights against you becoming anyone special. You're a nobody in Daggerfall, and it will do everything possible to make sure you stay that way. It's a stark contrast to every other ES game since, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Highyena

Post by Highyena »

Fair enough. I guess I was just worried about loosing rewards like that if I waited too long, but if that's not the case, then okay.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems, that shouldn't happen. :) You might lose access to certain guild rank privileges if you drop a rank, but it seriously takes a long time of inactivity to normalise your guild rep so far as to be ejected from guild. I can't even remember the last time this happened to me in classic, which makes me wonder if ejection for inactivity is even a thing. Would have to confirm.

And there's another way you can lose guild status. If you become a vampire, your character is considered dead and all your guild memberships are cancelled.

Highyena

Post by Highyena »

I'll probably test that out myself if I make another character once more progress has been made. For now, I guess I'll pump my rep up to 99 with the knights (I'm assuming you can't go beyond that) and start working on another faction. I suppose I didn't consider that being able to check all of your faction standings at once from the character menu makes managing it a lot easier.

Will be interesting to see how things go once vampirism/lycanthropy are implemented. With diseases coming out, I can imagine I'll have to start doing a lot more status checking in-game. XD

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Highyena wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 pm Will be interesting to see how things go once vampirism/lycanthropy are implemented. With diseases coming out, I can imagine I'll have to start doing a lot more status checking in-game. XD
Oh yes! I've already been caught out with this since diseases came online in dev version. Fortunately the game gives you plenty of warnings before it becomes fatal. If you end up truly stuck, just use "tgm" console command to turn on godmode until you can get cured at a temple or something.