Re: Diseases. My lycanthropy story

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
legion

Post by legion »

A long time ago, as an 11-year old playing this game, I roleplayed a do-gooder Paladin character. I was really pleased with my Nord custom class. I enjoyed choosing from the different Knightly orders in the game and how they were specific to each region. I spent a lot of time lost in dungeons, eventually finding my way out and rising up the ranks in the Order.

During my dungeon crawls, I noticed killing monsters was becoming a lot easier. At some point I opened up my profile and noticed my stats were abnormally high. It didn't make sense. I thought it might be some kind of bug that made me overpowered.

Then came the moment of shock... one day I finished up a quest, fast-traveled to the city and arrived in the middle of the night.

I was utterly stunned to see that my interface, instead of the usual weapon drawn, were two monstrous hands and there was the caption "in the middle of the night you transform" or something to that effect. I opened up the character sheet, and instead of my carefully-designed paladin, I saw a giant picture of a hideous WEREBOAR.

WTF?

I thought this was permanent, and I wouldn't be able to recover my real character. I didn't have any previous saved games to backtrack. I was mortified.

Without all the metagaming it was incredibly immersive to be caught by lycanthropy off-guard. I had no previous save games and I was really upset about it! As a kid, I didn't want my paladin character to be an ugly pig! I mean, a werewolf might have been a little cooler, but a freakin' ugly pig! No way! Back then, this was 1996, there wasn't much information/walkthroughs for the game online, and it took a hell of a lot of effort to figure out how to cure lycanthropy.

Eventually I did cure the disease, and it was one of my most satisfying moments in the game back then. It really sneaked up on me.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice story, my thief character also turned into one of these beasts back in 96, I was 13yo :twisted: Its sneaky, you contract a disease but it starts to really manifest much later. And thus, its quite possible you have already overwritten all the saves. What can you do than? as you said, there were no guidelines nor internet for me. So all you could do, is wander thru the huge world and search for some clues, like in RL. After some time, I found out I can cure it somehow and managed to do so. Since than, when I heard a lycan in a dungeon, it ment danger. I always killed em keeping my distance, never attempted to loot em etc, basically, being cautions to not get infected. If this isnt a pure RPG heaven/hell, I dunno what is....

Here are my upscaled versions of these beasts
Spoiler!
WOLF00I0.IMG.png
WOLF00I0.IMG.png (531.46 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
BOAR00I0.IMG.png
BOAR00I0.IMG.png (520.86 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

legion

Post by legion »

Good work. I love how the werewolf sports a nice six-pack while the wereboar has a beer belly...

I can't wait until this remake is entirely finished and I can play the final souped-up version with a ton of mods... this project has great potential.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That was a fun read thank you. :)

I experienced something similar on my first play through. I had no idea it was possible to become a vampire, or what the dream meant beforehand. I was confused by everything, and it barely registered.

So when I ended up inflicted with vampirism around level 5, it was such a mind blowing thing. One moment I was a basic sword and board fighter archetype, and the next I was faster, stronger - I could fly. Played through the rest on the game as a vamp with all the perks and penalties and loved every moment of it.

I really think that was the moment Daggerfall grabbed me and I've been in love with it ever since.

AXO

Post by AXO »

I believe that those who, like us, played this game in those years found themselves in a similar situation. :)
It was one of the most innovative and also very playable aspects, not for nothing that it became a milestone of rpg games .
In any case, this speech made me want to make a new image for this aspect of the game , the work is not bad and I wanted to share it, but I did not know where; then i have posted here :D
original art of wolf is not mine but it is so beautiful that I could not resist to use it. :P I just rifined the border and created a background from other images,
I don't remember were i find the werewolf but if I'm not wrong is not covered by copriright. :)
Attachments
WOLF00I0.IMG.png
WOLF00I0.IMG.png (627.03 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Wow that wolf is horrifying. I love it!