Dark Forces

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Biboran

Dark Forces

Post by Biboran »

XL Engine was support not only TESII Dagerfall, but this Star Wars game too. I know there are not may SF or DarkForces fans, but I was. Disney buy Star Wars and kill Extendet Univers, XL and mod for Jedi academy dead too, and DTFU is my only hope :)
It possible to do DTFU support SWDF resourses and game?

Interkarma

Re: Dark Forces

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall and Dark Forces are based on entirely different engines and rendering technologies, so different file formats and patterns are required. XLEngine was a bit madly ambitious in that it sought to combine all of those disparate games under one engine. It's not impossible, but definitely more work than I would be willing to take on for an unpaid hobby. Even DFTFU is pushing things, and it's very tightly focused and using an existing engine maintained by others.

I'm a Dark Forces fan as well. I have great memories of staying up all night playing through it with one of my friends back in the days we were still share-housing together. Out of all of Lucius's efforts, his take on Dark Forces was the most complete. I hope that if he returns Dark Forces gets some attention, or at least becomes open-source so others in the community can finish it.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Okay. Maybe someday.

FlinchCat

Post by FlinchCat »

This. Game.

Omgggggg

When you're done with Daggerfall, is there a chance of this being ported?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm sorry guys, but once I have Daggerfall out of my system I'm going to move on to working on my own games. I've been trying to focus on that goal for some time now, but I kept letting myself get side-railed by DFTFU and my love of Daggerfall. The agreement in my household is that I do whatever I need to do to get put the Daggerfall hobby to rest, then get on with my life and do one of "my things".

As I have other people to worry about than myself, it would be very selfish of me to turn around and start picking apart another old game. Daggerfall gets a pass since I've been at this hobby since I was around 21, a few years before I met my wife. Development-wise, I was pretty miserable and directionless after dropping things in 2012, which is why I have my family's blessing to get Daggerfall squared away for my own sense of accomplishment. I have to use this time wisely.

I just hope that in another year or so when Daggerfall Unity is further along (and perhaps more in the hands of the open-source community than myself) you'll still keep an eye on my work once I start on something new. :)