Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Lazaroth

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Post by Lazaroth »

Phobos Anomaly wrote: Your description sounds like what I feel when moving the camera around in a game with V-sync on.
I tried forcing vsync off in the nvidia control panel, but no, that's not it. Besides it doesn't feel like vsync, it feels like mouse smoothing.

I made a video of the issue here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiY62g9F3-4
It wasn't that visible at full speed, so I slowed it down to 20%, which is why the fps is a little choppy. In the video I move the mouse back and forth with constant speed. You can however see that the speed isn't constant and towards the end of each movement (left/right), there is a visible "slowing down" for a second or so (remember 20% real time speed).

Tespis

Post by Tespis »

When I found that my imported Dark Elf turned to be a girl (I bet that Boetiah been involved) I tried all other races and I found that sadly there is no true man in Tamriel. Even Redguards (Smile, Cyrus... I mean, Cynthia. S'rathra fix. S'rathra fix anything.). All chars imported from vanilla turned into females. Girls seem to be fine.
Daschluba wrote:in the original Daggerfall i climbed up an building and saved when i was standing on the roof, after that i started Daggerfall Unity and loaded that save, but instead of being on the roof i spawned on the ground inside the building.
I saved (vanilla) on the top of PH entrance mound and after importing to Daggerfall Unity I found myself inside it. I just walked off and managed to climb on it normally. Loading a quicksave while on the top of the mound placed me correctly on it, but in one case while walking down I fell into the void.
Phobos Anomaly wrote:This is just a guess but... I was unable to notice screen-tearing, can it be that this build have some source of V-sync activated by defaul?
In my case there is screen tearing about one-third from the top, so it seems there is no V-sync on. I tried to force it by driver settings, but it did not changed anything.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Daschluba wrote:Just tested the build, pretty much everything worked, except some things other people already told. One thing which i don't know if you already know, in the original Daggerfall i climbed up an building and saved when i was standing on the roof, after that i started Daggerfall Unity and loaded that save, but instead of being on the roof i spawned on the ground inside the building.
Thanks for your feedback. :) I'm not loading height values from classic saves yet, but this should work in Unity saves.

The way to think about saves is there are two processes at work. There's a native save system (Unity-to-Unity) which is going to work 100% eventually. Then there's the save migration system (Classic-to-Unity) which is a best-effort situation. It will probably never be 100%, but I'll get it as close as possible until diminishing returns kick in. Save migration will slowly improve over time as other systems are implemented.

GothwayBum

Post by GothwayBum »

This gender thing is odd, my character I've been playing for about a year across OS' and machines imports fine as male aside from the magic item modifier, but all new characters turn female.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Lazaroth wrote: I did, and no it affects nothing other than the, well, sensitivity. The delay I tried to describe is still there. I can fire up good ol' Fraps in a bit and do a video of it.
Cheers. I'll make an option to disable mouse smoothing on the controller. This may actually turn out to be frame-rate issue in the end, as that smoothing is very light touch. Still the option should be there anyway, so let's try that and see how we go! :)
It's always empty, even if there's a quicksave and/or old save available. Probably related to my issue #2.
Sorry, I meant to ask - could you please zip and send me all your SAVE folders exactly as they are inside your Daggerfall folder. It sounds like one of your saves are casing the enumerator to crash. If I can reproduce this, I can fix the problem.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Tespis wrote:When I found that my imported Dark Elf turned to be a girl (I bet that Boetiah been involved) I tried all other races and I found that sadly there is no true man in Tamriel. Even Redguards (Smile, Cyrus... I mean, Cynthia. S'rathra fix. S'rathra fix anything.). All chars imported from vanilla turned into females. Girls seem to be fine
GothwayBum wrote:This gender thing is odd, my character I've been playing for about a year across OS' and machines imports fine as male aside from the magic item modifier, but all new characters turn female.
Could you guys please zip up your SAVE folders exactly as they are inside your Daggerfall folder and email them to me. I'd like to fix this as well, and need a reliable case to reproduce. You both seem to have reliable cases. Cheers. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I have implemented an option to enable/disable mouse smoothing in the INI. When smoothing is disabled, mouse-look uses the raw axis input scaled by the sensitivity setting - nothing else in between.

Edit: I have also added a working VSync option to INI. You'll just need to scale mouse based on your combination of settings, as it feels very different based on what you have enabled/disabled.

CyberWilhelm

Post by CyberWilhelm »

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Try removing the quotes (""), example:

Code: Select all

MyDaggerfallPath=C:\Games\The Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall
ifkopifko wrote:CyberWilhelm> Hi, good to see I am not the only one. :D You must remove the quetes from the path just like Phobos Anomaly said.
Aha! Cool, that fixed it. I must have misread the quoting on Interkarma's directions in the newspost. Thanks guys! :D

The specular sheen that the Standard shader puts on things actually dresses up the graphics pretty nicely. It's a fairly light touch here and I rather like it. :)

I ran around Privateer's Hold with a new character this evening and everything generally behaved itself well. The only bug I noticed was the door opening sound playing stacked on top of itself (sounded like once per frame). It didn't happen for every door, but it definitely occurred a few times. Also, a few monsters may have spawned in the wall, but were still drawn in front of it? Hard to tell on that one.

Great job so far, Interkarma!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Quick update. Here's the list of fixes/changes already implemented. More to come soon!
  • Added INI toggle for mouse smoothing.
  • Added INI toggle for vsync.
  • Fixed UI scaling/positioning. Added option for free scale to fit any dimension.
  • Fixed a GPS desync issue which was at least one of the reasons player could fall through world on load.
  • Can now quick save/load outdoors, in dungeons, and in buildings (basically anywhere).
  • Improved how player is grounded when importing a classic save. It's still not really possible to import character vertical position from classic saves. Try to import classic saves where player is at ground level, or you may get stuck inside geometry. This does not apply to Unity saves which can save/load anywhere.
  • Fixed load screen not building controls properly with missing or partial saves. This was also preventing the "quick load" button from showing. Should also work if one of the classic saves cannot be read for any reason.
  • Fixed gender-swapping issues (hopefully). I have observed a range of values for genders in save files so far. 40=male, 1=female, and also 0=male. Previously 0 was unknown, which is why certain characters had their gender flipped. I'm handling this now, and I've set the gender assignment to throw an exception if another unknown number is encountered.
  • UI clicks will no longer "fall-through" into world when closing a UI screen.
  • Improved double-click handling.
I have several other fixes underway and will post an updated list soon. I'm hoping to get the second test build out ASAP, but I want to ensure I fix as many problems as possible first. Thank you for your patience, everyone. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Linux test build now available. This has the fixes in my post above.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-un ... t-build-1/

I'll release the second test build for Linux and Windows as soon as I get through some more bugs. Thanks for your patience, everyone.