Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Post by Interkarma »

jemapa wrote:Weirdly enough, I also have a non-standard install (installed with DaggerfallSetup, with a bunch of mods), and Daggerfall Unity does launch if I point it to that folder.
This is interesting. The Daggerfall install you sent me appears to be missing the video files in arena2. There should be 16x ANIM*.VID files in there, and 1x DAG2.VID. They are completely missing.

Can you confirm videos actually play when launching the vanilla .exe from that first install?

jemapa

Post by jemapa »

They do play, but part of Bethesda's instructions include mounting the files from the CD to d: in DosBox every time you play, so I suspect they're playing from there. I did pick the "huge" option when installing, but I guess that doesn't include the video files? I'll copy them in manually and see if that fixes it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

jemapa wrote:They do play, but part of Bethesda's instructions include mounting the files from the CD to d: in DosBox every time you play, so I suspect they're playing from there. I did pick the "huge" option when installing, but I guess that doesn't include the video files? I'll copy them in manually and see if that fixes it.
That's interesting, thanks. Yeah it's probably playing off the mount and I need them in the Arena2. I thought they were always deployed by the huge install, but I could just be mis-remembering. I've been using the DaggerfallSetup install and lately the GOG install. They're superior to Bethesda's own setup imo, but I need to handle Beth's install also.

jemapa

Post by jemapa »

The funny part is that I usually use DaggerfallSetup too, I just used the DosBox install in order to be as "stock" as possible for this test :P

Once the files are copied, everything works great - was able to start a new game, sprint through Privateer's hold and get outside, see my character sheet, and quick-save/load. Didn't have saves to load, but when I was pointing at the modded install, that worked too. Didn't notice any issues that anyone else hasn't already flagged.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Alright, I've made a list of the high priority stuff. I'm working on an update that should be ready in next 24-48 hours. Here's a list of items on the priority list. This may grow before I'm done and fixes may be deployed across multiple tests.
  • UI scaling issue at many resolutions.
  • Linux not loading career data for class selection dialog.
  • Needs Direct3D11 for full deferred shading. Will add INI options for downlevel rendering paths.
  • Game not launching, crashing on video files. Confirmed *.VID files not present in Arena2. Need to fail cleanly and advise users on how to workaround.
  • INI options for tuning mouse weapon swinging.
  • INI options for some cheating, GodMode and ExplorerMode (from demos).
  • Pressing load with nothing to load will hang game.
  • Genders occasionally not read properly from vanilla saves.
  • Reaction setting occasionally not read properly from vanilla saves.
  • Loading some saves will drop you through the world.
  • Vampire characters not read cleanly. Need to at least read these characters back to starting race and appearance. Vampirism won't be implemented until after quest system is done.
  • Rebindable keys. Will do this in a config file first, then later provide a UI.
If there's something else critical I've missed on this list, please just let me know.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Yesterday I kept myself awake after you twitted you were going to release a test build in the next hours, I waited and finally played the test build and everything went just perfect, I tested all the current features and no crashes and no resolution issues, just the oddity of the gender shifting issue, but you have been already told about that. (I'm using Daggerfall-setup by the way).

I was too tired and went to bed, now I come back here and you are already planning a fixed release in less than 24hs, you are a beast!
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've fixed the scaling/positioning problem with retro UI. Following is a visual diary entry explaining the problem in more detail.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/more-about-scaling/

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Yesterday I kept myself awake after you twitted you were going to release a test build in the next hours, I waited and finally played the test build and everything went just perfect, I tested all the current features and no crashes and no resolution issues, just the oddity of the gender shifting issue, but you have been already told about that. (I'm using Daggerfall-setup by the way).

I was too tired and went to bed, now I come back here and you are already planning a fixed release in less than 24hs, you are a beast!
Thanks for staying up late, Phobos. That's dedication for you. :)

Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Interkarma wrote:
1. The mouse feels sluggish. The experience can be compared to how some games have mouse smoothing, which when enabled also makes it feel sluggish. Like a small delay on your mouse movement.
If you could, please try ramping up the mouse sensitivity higher and let me know if that improves things. The only other thing I can think of is rendering speed, but it should be more or less fine on a 560ti. I'll open up some options to change rendering path and we'll see if that helps.
I want to clarify my statement a little so there is no confusion. When you literally see the mouse cursor, such as in a menu, moving it around is snappy. What I'm talking about is when you're playing and moving your head around.

Anyhow, I tested some more with this to describe the issue, and what I came up with is this:
What I want to do is to move my head, looking at point A and move it to point B. I move the view fast, but at a constant speed, and what I expect is the view to follow that constant mouse speed. What instead is happening in the view is an acceleration up to a top speed and then when I've almost arrived at point B a deceleration.
An example to illustrate what I mean can be found here:
http://matthewlein.com/experiments/easing.html
Compare linear easing with for example easeInOutCubic

I found another issue btw;
9. If I start with StartInDungeon=False, the dungeon music is played while being outside.

Also, is there currently a way to load a game without having to go through the chargen?

And do I need to do something else besides this:

Code: Select all

[Enhancements]
LypyL_EnhancedSky=True
Nystul_IncreasedTerrainDistance=True
Nystul_RealtimeReflections=True
UncannyValley_RealGrass=True
UncannyValley_BirdsInDaggerfall=True
in order to turn on mods, because nothing happens if I just do that.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I want to clarify my statement a little so there is no confusion. When you literally see the mouse cursor, such as in a menu, moving it around is snappy. What I'm talking about is when you're playing and moving your head around.
Yes, that's what the mouse sensitivity setting is for (mouse-look). Did you try increasing this value in the INI? Try increasing in increments of 0.5 and let me know how you go.
I found another issue btw;
9. If I start with StartInDungeon=False, the dungeon music is played while being outside.
Cheers, will fix this. :)
Also, is there currently a way to load a game without having to go through the chargen?
Just click "Load Saved Game" on the title menu. You can load either a classic save or restore your quick save slot (if you have saved by pressing F9 in game). Full save/load UI are in the works for first true release.
And do I need to do something else besides this:

Code: Select all

[Enhancements]
LypyL_EnhancedSky=True
Nystul_IncreasedTerrainDistance=True
Nystul_RealtimeReflections=True
UncannyValley_RealGrass=True
UncannyValley_BirdsInDaggerfall=True
in order to turn on mods, because nothing happens if I just do that.
These aren't wired up yet. The purpose of this test had very strict constraints. See the "Purpose" section in the test build post. :)

I will wire up the mods in the first true release, or maybe a little sooner if everything else is going well.

Thanks for testing. :)