Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Tespis

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Post by Tespis »

Hi all Daggerfolk!

My specs: AMD 64 X2 4400+, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Win 7 x64 SP1

My Daggerfall installation comes from here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
It includes patch 2.13 and the official CompUSA Special Edition quest pack.
I do have unofficial patches (no mods) and Eye of Argonia, but I believe in current state of DaggerUnity it is irrelevant.
I tried clean install and patched and haven't noticed any difference.

I have been able:
- run the build,
- start a new game, create a character and spawn to the bottom of Privateer’s Hold,
- exit Privateer’s Hold into the outside world (usually quickly so),
- quick-save and quick-load successfully while inside a dungeon and in wilderness,
- load an existing character from a classic Daggerfall save game (but my char being turned to female :shock:),
- use F5 in-game to view my character sheet, and my character was loaded successfully (with above issue). I believe that happen for Dunmer, for I created another Dark Elf (different class) and ended up as a woman again,
- die promptly in dungeon (Privateer’s Hold so far).

Some notes:
- I found Bears in PH being replaced by Warriors and by one occasion I met the Giant Bat instead of Archer,
- some doors have different texture than vanilla,
- apparently weather effect like clouds and snow aren't implemented yet, but seems that the current build can get the time of the day correctly,
- do you guys always face North when your save is loaded into DaggerUnity?
- does anyone could tell me, please, what is the proper FOV value for resolutions like 1280x1024? I feel the perspective is bit different compared to vanilla. It may be just due higher resolutions, but I would like to make sure.
Lazaroth wrote:2. Pressing the load button in the main menu with nothing to load (taking you to the load screen) makes the game essentially lock, since you can't get out of there. At least I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Esc didn't work, pressing cancel does nothing etc.
I wasn't able to reproduce that; Esc brought me back to Main Menu.

Here's my save for evaluation (just outside PH):
SAVE3.7z
(28.88 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

TheErspa

Post by TheErspa »

2. Pressing the load button in the main menu with nothing to load (taking you to the load screen) makes the game essentially lock, since you can't get out of there. At least I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Esc didn't work, pressing cancel does nothing etc.
Esc works fine but cancel doesn't and there's no quick load button. When there's save everything works perfectly.

TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

Glad to finally test DFUnity and I'm hyped for the true release! It works great so far, not a single crash, but swinging is pretty wonky. Real smooth, Interkarma. :D
My laptop specs: Core i7-Q720 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 240M, Windows 7 x64

I've made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxjzAWY2X78

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

More awesome feedback overnight, thanks everyone. :)
Nystul wrote:
jemapa wrote:I'm having the same issue as Nystul - Daggerfall path is set, but I only get a black screen. For some reason the forum won't let me attach the log, but here's the relevant part:

After this the same exception repeats over and over for thousands of lines.

System is Windows 8 x64, i7 3770K processor, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD7870 GPU. Daggerfall was freshly installed and patched to 2.13 right before starting Daggerfall Unity.
yep, seems to be the same issue!
I managed to get it working 2 times out of 100 or so (without video playback but the start menu just popped up).
so maybe it could be a thread/script sheduling/order problem?
Would one of you gents be willing to zip up your entire Daggerfall folder (7zip highest compression will get it to around 48MB) and send me a Google Drive link or similar? I have an idea what might be happening, but can't reproduce it my side. Perhaps with your exact binaries I can lock it down.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

TechNoirMK wrote:Glad to finally test DFUnity and I'm hyped for the true release! It works great so far, not a single crash, but swinging is pretty wonky. Real smooth, Interkarma. :D
My laptop specs: Core i7-Q720 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 240M, Windows 7 x64

I've made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxjzAWY2X78
I've heard a few people mention problems with swinging. I'm going to expose the knobs for this in the INI next release so we can tune it and find the problem.

Thanks for the video! Watching through this now. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Tespis wrote:Hi all Daggerfolk!

My specs: AMD 64 X2 4400+, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Win 7 x64 SP1

My Daggerfall installation comes from here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
It includes patch 2.13 and the official CompUSA Special Edition quest pack.
I do have unofficial patches (no mods) and Eye of Argonia, but I believe in current state of DaggerUnity it is irrelevant.
I tried clean install and patched and haven't noticed any difference.

I have been able:
- run the build,
- start a new game, create a character and spawn to the bottom of Privateer’s Hold,
- exit Privateer’s Hold into the outside world (usually quickly so),
- quick-save and quick-load successfully while inside a dungeon and in wilderness,
- load an existing character from a classic Daggerfall save game (but my char being turned to female :shock:),
- use F5 in-game to view my character sheet, and my character was loaded successfully (with above issue). I believe that happen for Dunmer, for I created another Dark Elf (different class) and ended up as a woman again,
- die promptly in dungeon (Privateer’s Hold so far).

Some notes:
- I found Bears in PH being replaced by Warriors and by one occasion I met the Giant Bat instead of Archer,
- some doors have different texture than vanilla,
- apparently weather effect like clouds and snow aren't implemented yet, but seems that the current build can get the time of the day correctly,
- does anyone could tell me, please, what is the proper FOV value for resolutions like 1280x1024? I feel the perspective is bit different compared to vanilla. It may be just due higher resolutions, but I would like to make sure.
Lazaroth wrote:2. Pressing the load button in the main menu with nothing to load (taking you to the load screen) makes the game essentially lock, since you can't get out of there. At least I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Esc didn't work, pressing cancel does nothing etc.
I wasn't able to reproduce that; Esc brought me back to Main Menu.

Here's my save for evaluation (just outside PH):
SAVE3.7z
Thanks for the big list! :)
Daggerfall has two enemy types in dungeons, fixed and random. The fixed are always the same and random enemies are selected from an encounter table based on player level and dungeon type. I definitely need to improve the method of selecting random monsters (it's in my notes), but even then it will probably function a little differently than vanilla. I will try to make it work as closely as possible though.
Weather effects like overcast, rain, snow have been implemented but they don't trigger in this release. I want this to have the same per-region and per-season percentile chances outlined in Daggerfall Chronicles, but still need to get to this.
The Unity saves save player pitch and yaw facing, but the Daggerfall facing doesn't load yet. Lypyl has found the values for this, but I still need to work on getting them into the importer.

Thanks for testing. :)

jemapa

Post by jemapa »

Interkarma wrote:More awesome feedback overnight, thanks everyone. :)
Nystul wrote:
jemapa wrote:I'm having the same issue as Nystul - Daggerfall path is set, but I only get a black screen. For some reason the forum won't let me attach the log, but here's the relevant part:

After this the same exception repeats over and over for thousands of lines.

System is Windows 8 x64, i7 3770K processor, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD7870 GPU. Daggerfall was freshly installed and patched to 2.13 right before starting Daggerfall Unity.
yep, seems to be the same issue!
I managed to get it working 2 times out of 100 or so (without video playback but the start menu just popped up).
so maybe it could be a thread/script sheduling/order problem?
Would one of you gents be willing to zip up your entire Daggerfall folder (7zip highest compression will get it to around 48MB) and send me a Google Drive link or similar? I have an idea what might be happening, but can't reproduce it my side. Perhaps with your exact binaries I can lock it down.
Sure, here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52675309/DAGGER.rar

It's really just the standard install, though - I downloaded it from Bethesda's site and followed the included instructions to install using DosBox.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Lazaroth wrote:First of all, congratulations on the first test build! Overall it's been a nice experience trying it out and some of the views outside are absolutely gorgeous, but as requested here are an assorted list of problems, things I've noticed and suggestions.
Thanks for testing! :)
1. The mouse feels sluggish. The experience can be compared to how some games have mouse smoothing, which when enabled also makes it feel sluggish. Like a small delay on your mouse movement.
If you could, please try ramping up the mouse sensitivity higher and let me know if that improves things. The only other thing I can think of is rendering speed, but it should be more or less fine on a 560ti. I'll open up some options to change rendering path and we'll see if that helps.
2. Pressing the load button in the main menu with nothing to load (taking you to the load screen) makes the game essentially lock, since you can't get out of there. At least I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Esc didn't work, pressing cancel does nothing etc.
Will definitely fix this in next build.
3. I can not recognize the song in the first dungeon. If it's the correct song, then the midi library must have made it sound weird.
I'm just playing dungeon tracks randomly right now, and some of them don't seem to get played by Daggerfall itself. I'll polish this up over time to be more vanilla-like.
4. The sky outside makes me dizzy when moving. It's that it moves differently than the ground. I know Lucius (DaggerXL) fixed this by using some kind of cylinder around the world and applying the sky texture to that (if I recall correctly). I think having that sky texture is really nice though and it blends good with the horizon.
That's a good idea, I'd like to have the vanilla sky look better. I'll work on improving this once I have more bandwidth. The amazing Enhanced Sky mod from Lypyl will also blow your socks off. :) I just don't have mods enabled in this build as I want to tackle core compatibility issues first.
5. Z is a unintuitive default choice for ready weapon. If it's like that in vanilla then sure ok, but from Morrowind on it's been F.
6. I want to be able to rebind quicksave and quickload since I usally have F9 as quickload and I accidentally keep saving when trying to load.
Keys are rebindable internally and first true release will either provide a UI or a binding file so you can set this up however you like.
7. Trying to load an old save outside in the nearby town makes me fall under the ground to the nether. Attached the save.
Cheers!
8. Would like a god mode button or code and a super speed button or code.
I will have some cheat options for you next test. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

jemapa wrote: Sure, here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52675309/DAGGER.rar

It's really just the standard install, though - I downloaded it from Bethesda's site and followed the included instructions to install using DosBox.
Awesome thanks so much! What I want to do is reproduce your exact setup as best I can. Same binaries, same path, etc. I haven't been able to reproduce this one yet, so grasping for leads.

jemapa

Post by jemapa »

Weirdly enough, I also have a non-standard install (installed with DaggerfallSetup, with a bunch of mods), and Daggerfall Unity does launch if I point it to that folder.