Unity scene in work-in-progress branch?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Unity scene in work-in-progress branch?

Post by Nystul »

I took a look at the work-in-progress branch yesterday but could not find a unity scene or a equivalent starting point to test daggerfall unity.
I would love to contribute a bit, but I would like to start from a working scene if possible. Have I missed something obvious or is there currently no scene with the daggerfall unity progress checked in?

Interkarma

Re: Unity scene in work-in-progress branch?

Post by Interkarma »

I will add the game-ready scene to repo on next push. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

great! thanks!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems! :) I've checked in a huge amount of code changes to work in progress. This includes the scene for Daggerfall Unity itself, along with some prerequisites.

After importing, open the scene Assets/Daggerfall Unity/Game/Scenes/DaggerfallUnityGame. Setup your singleton and project as normal. Set your project to use Deferred (not legacy) and set the other lighting options as usual.

Being a work in progress branch, I'm still in the middle of fixing up several things for the next test build. This means that some things that worked before no longer work in the unstable branch. I'll get to fixing these as soon as possible, but until then use at your own peril. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: Set your project to use Deferred (not legacy) and set the other lighting options as usual.
have you solved the fog issues? I ask because I am curious since I tried myself to get it work ... but my solution didn't work well - I used GlobalFog script but it seems to be broken when using more than 1 camera...)

what happens if one picks legacy deferred? does it still work?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I had some trouble with global fog the first time as well. Seems to work quite well now, apart from a few sparkling artifacts on the horizon against the classic sky. I have some ideas why this is happening and can hopefully fix later, but its lower on the priority list.

Everything still works with legacy deferred, but with more batches and lower fidelity lighting. The best match for the Standard shader is definitely full deferred. Batches go from topping ~4000 in a big city down to ~1000, and the animated pixel lights are a lot smoother.

I'm adding an INI option in next test build to set rendering path. This might be useful for people without the necessary DX11 hardware for full deferred.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ah great! will have to give it a try

meanwhile I tested the work-in-progress unity scene - works like a charm!

I realized that some mods/mod functionality is broken due to recent changes (although recent is not really the correct term - I actually never checked the work-in-progress branch before).

enhanced sky basically can't find the Noise class that was part of utility - my current workaround is that I copied the class from the old version into the enhanced sky Cloud script that is missing it - but maybe it has just moved to a different place i missed.

increased terrain distance needs some code changes but seems to work then to a certain degree - there is still a nullpointer error when the improved world should be initialized - I have not found the courage to test deferred shading - I fear it will break the camera stack like last time...

reflections mod need some further investigations. indoor reflections work, outdoor shader injection does not

I will try to make the mods work with the work-in-progress scene and upload updated versions.

After that is done I would love to volunteer for the world map/travel map functionality - if that is ok for you. It should be a manageable amount of work. and the system itself is not that complicated - so it seems clear to me how I should approach the task. (travel window will be tricky though, but will part3 of the implementation iteration, part1 will be location selection and part2 will be location search). I should be able to reuse lots of code from your other gui functionality. tell me what you think about it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the feedback Nystul. Yeah, one of the reasons I'm holding off on the awesome enhancements from everyone is that I discovered they were just slightly broken in the current code version. Nothing that can't be fixed quickly, I'm sure, but I didn't want to risk destabilizing the core elements that the test builds are mainly about.

I'm about to put up a post outlining a plan for us to move forwards and help eliminate future compatibility issues. Basically, I want to move your enhancements into the core library and use the pull request feature to merge changes. This keeps us all one the same page and working on the same code.

Being part of the core library does come with a few extra (minor) responsibilities however. I will outline those too. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention! LypyL has created a mostly-complete fast travel UI. It still needs a little work around positioning dots on the map, and systems for tracking discovered/undiscovered locations are not implemented yet. We can all collaborate to get the travel map done.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: I forgot to mention! LypyL has created a mostly-complete fast travel UI. It still needs a little work around positioning dots on the map, and systems for tracking discovered/undiscovered locations are not implemented yet. We can all collaborate to get the travel map done.
ah great! I didn't realize that it was that evolved. I thought it was just a list of some location names ;)