Merging Mods, Collaborating

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Merging Mods, Collaborating

Post by Interkarma »

Hmm not sure on that one. I manually copied in your changes and closed the pull request, so at least the things you needed pulled have been. :)

Something we should all start doing is creating a branch for each new feature that we are working on. Changes are made in that branch only, then merge and pull. This is a little hard at this early stage where we (particularly myself) are working across the entire code base.

What I'm trying to put together now is all the scaffolding, then we can work on filling in the blanks. I promise it will get easier once the major framework is in place and we all get more experience working together.

I'm also going to start a Trello to allocate out specific tasks to developers. That's in the near future once more of the scaffold is ready.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ok I will try to do new stuff in specific branches then - git is new to me and it is a monster...
As you have seen I have started the automap feature (indoor and dungeon automap - not the world map) - I want to try out some ideas to make it a bit better than the original when it comes to readability.
Let's see if I can manage to pull it of like I imagine...

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Sorry, I thought pull requests were a way to request those changes! I thought it would be easier to send you the code to review and test (though I could have done a better job explaining the why in the first few commit comments etc.). To be clear, I wasn't sending pull requests with the expectation you would commit changes them just because I asked :)
Nystul wrote:Git is somehow behaving very strange... doesn't behave like I would expect it...
I did a pull-request with the changes to the "location" command. nothing else.
AFTERWARDS I proceeded IN MY work-in-progress fork with new changes. I commited locally and pushed TO MY fork - somehow it did automatically change the pull-request how it seems... I never did extend the pull-request nor did a do another pull-request
I never intended to add the new changes to the pull request (how did I mess this up?)

what did I do wrong? I really need to know so this doesn't happen again... Is it forbidden to work on new changes until the last pull-request is closed? This would be stupid - so it must have been a error on my side - but how?
Yes, that is actually how it works - your pull request will be auto-updated as you push to the branch you committed from. I found that out too :D

http://codeinthehole.com/writing/pull-r ... ng-github/
It allows you to submit multiple pull requests without confusion. The classical Github gotcha is to continue committing to a pull request branch after making the initial request. When these commits are pushed to the remote, they will become part of the original pull request which often ends up conflating unrelated functionality.
I'm assuming it's fine to do something like push a branch with the updates, send a pull request, and after it has been merged just delete it?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

LypyL wrote: I'm assuming it's fine to do something like push a branch with the updates, send a pull request, and after it has been merged just delete it?
Yep, that would be ideal for new features and testing big changes.

I'm sorry to make your life hard guys. On the whole your changes have been really great, keep it coming. We'll find our rhythm and will in turn be able to guide future contributors. :)

By the way, the latest test build is feeling really solid across both platforms. Needs more feedback, but I'm pretty confident I can turn on your mods permanently from 0.0.7 and then proceed to first true release after that.

And then the really good shit can start. :twisted:

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no need to apologize! I have to apologize since I created unintended extra-work for you. I will try to do a branch evertime I try out something new from now on ;)

is it ok if I spend some time on the automap feature (or did someone of you already start working on it?)?
I mean the automap for indoor and dungeon environment - not the world/travel map or the town map...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote: is it ok if I spend some time on the automap feature (or did someone of you already start working on it?)?
I mean the automap for indoor and dungeon environment - not the world/travel map or the town map...
Ah, gotcha! Go for it, nobody has started that yet. Let me know if any advice needed working up the scene or overlaying GUI elements. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

will definitely need some help - really tricky stuff that needs to be implemented...

at least I managed to render geometry above the gui background. kind of complicated... camera renders to RenderTexture, RenderTexture is read into Texture2D, texture is drawn on panel attached to ParentPanel (no idea if it is intended to be used in that way but it works)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Whoah! You've done really well so far. I think you have the best approach available at the moment for rendering into the GUI. How do you find performance with that setup so far?

I can foresee a need to extend the GUI system to make this easier.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I don't see a big performance impact at all

see the stats:

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

wow! :o