Merging Mods, Collaborating

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Merging Mods, Collaborating

Post by Nystul »

I didn't ever delete my fork - just fetch and merge the current state from interkarmas master branch into your branch whenever you start working again and you should be fine

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Thx for answer, just to make clear, by "fetch and merge" you mean to create a pull request:
ifkopifko/daggerfall-unity <--- Interkarma/daggerfall-unity?

Or is there some other way to do it?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

ifkopifko wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:36 am Thx for answer, just to make clear, by "fetch and merge" you mean to create a pull request:
ifkopifko/daggerfall-unity <--- Interkarma/daggerfall-unity?

Or is there some other way to do it?
Yes, you can do a pull request from website but this creates an additional merge commit. If you have git installed you can use the terminal to rebase from master instead.

Code: Select all

git pull --rebase upstream master

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Thx, I have zero experience in using git. I suppose the "rebase" can not be done with GitHub?
So I have installed git right now, and tried your magic... :D

Seems to have worked, now the code on my HDD is on par with latest Interkarma's code as I understand it.
My question(s) now is, how do I sync my on_HDD repository with my online GitHub repository? Or is this the step I tried to avoid when using rebase, and the only way how to do it is to create an additional commit?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Now you have to push to origin, which can easily be done from client UI. You should have a button called Sync or Publish Branch, depending on version :)
Just to be sure, is this what you have installed?

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Aaaah, in my previous post when I wrote GitHub, I meant GitHub Desktop, the thing you linked. And to do the rebase I also installed Git, since I have not seen any option like that in GitHub Desktop.

Ok, syncing worked, thanks for the help. :)

BTW: What does it mean when in GitHub web I see "This branch is 3 commits ahead of Interkarma:master." ?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

ifkopifko wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:26 pm Aaaah, in my previous post when I wrote GitHub, I meant GitHub Desktop, the thing you linked. And to do the rebase I also installed Git, since I have not seen any option like that in GitHub Desktop.
You can access git within the desktop client from repository>open in command prompt. You can also change it from options to use powershell instead. :)
ifkopifko wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:26 pm BTW: What does it mean when in GitHub web I see "This branch is 3 commits ahead of Interkarma:master." ?
Try to open a new pull request to Interkarma:master (without confirming it), it should tell you which are these 3 commits.