Merging Mods, Collaborating

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Merging Mods, Collaborating

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: When I get a bit more time, I'd love to help work on smoothing the two terrains together even more.
wow, this would be amazing! there is definitely room for further improvements and discussions!
Interkarma wrote: I'm really excited for the future of this project with people like yourself building these amazing addons. :)
thanks a lot! but the addons are nothing compared to your achievements! it is so amazing how well the core tools and daggerfall-unity is written - by just looking at it I can learn so much of it :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers! I think we learn stuff from each other you know. :)

BTW, I just checked in that small change for main camera far clip plane and fog settings. These can be set from the addon's Inspector now as well. This will be by last check-in for about a week, so go nuts and send me a pull request with anything else you need merged. Take it easy. :)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Nystul wrote: since Lypyl's SkyCam had default depth value of -2 (before mods were integrated into the git repository, I didn't dare to modify Lypyl's EnhancedSky mod - so a adjusted all other cameras to fit in - that's why I had to change main camera's depth value as well), I decided to set the main camera's depth to a value higher than 0 and the stacked camera's depth in between.
Now since we have all the mods in git it there is a better way:
suggestion: SkyCam depth value set to -3, the stacked cameras to -2 and -1 and main camera at depth 0
I like your changes to allow to specify depth as parameter - should have done that before ;)
I'm wrapping up a major overhaul to the Sky mod, I'll make sure to set the skycam depth to -3.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

To both Lypyl and Nystul, thanks for the recent pull requests. The new approach of using a manager object seems to be working great and makes it so much easier to setup the scene with your mods. You guys rock! :D

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

good to hear ;)
I pulled your current work in progress branch, but some questions/issues arose:

how do I activate the enhanced sky mod - just setting the value in the fallback.ini file didn't do the trick for me
when manually adding the enhanced sky prefab to the scene I end up with a second clone of the prefab in the hierarchy when the scene is running and I push the toggle enhanced sky button in the gameobject - so there seems to be a different mechanism to activate it, that I don't know ;)
update: but at least it seems to work ;) maybe this is intended anyway :)

there are some necessary fixes on my side required, e.g. when reflectionsmod is deactivated increasedterraindistance mod must not throw a null-pointer exception. I will prepare these changes

somehow the sea reflections of the far terrain are no longer updated correctly - I will investigate this

update:
sea reflections are broken in the test scene because IncreasedTerrainDistanceMod gameobject is parented to exterior (which is deactivated at startup - although I am not sure if this is the cause for the problem or the parenting itself is the problem), it should be outside of it - i would suggest to put my mods into a empty container gameobject called "_Mods" or similar - which must be activated at startup. Otherwise it should work to have them just in the root in the hierarchy, but grouping them is neat anyway
The script will inject a gameobject "Worldterrain" in Exterior gameobject on runtime.
I was not aware of this restriction but it turns out it really breaks the sea reflections otherwise :/

update2:
except that I have to manually add the mods to the scene and drag the IncreasedTerrainDistanceMod gameobject out of Exterior gameobject - everything works like a charm! everything seems to be integrated pretty good! thanks for your hard work in coordinating all this!

update3: fixed the nullpointer error in IncreasedTerrainDistance.cs if ReflectionsMod is not active by reworking other mod's presence detection strategy - issued a pull request

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

just wanted to mention that everything works perfect now in the latest version in the game scene from your github project ;)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Nystul wrote:good to hear ;)
how do I activate the enhanced sky mod - just setting the value in the fallback.ini file didn't do the trick for me
when manually adding the enhanced sky prefab to the scene I end up with a second clone of the prefab in the hierarchy when the scene is running and I push the toggle enhanced sky button in the gameobject - so there seems to be a different mechanism to activate it, that I don't know ;)
update: but at least it seems to work ;) maybe this is intended anyway :)
I haven't added the code for enabling / disabling via the .ini yet (it's there in SkyManager start function, just commented out), as I was having a possible issue with the Settings Manager in builds - probably just something on my end, but I thought it best to leave it alone until Interkarma has a chance to look at it.

Just push the button on the manager while the scene is running, or you can use esky_toggle in the console.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yeah I figured it already out. I like how everything starts to come together ;)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Great! Are you having any problems with the sun not showing up in the sky? Interkarma has reported it, and so far I haven't been able to figure out what's causing it.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yeah I have also realized this - I know how to make it appear while the scene is running (change the sun type in the sky material)
although it would be nice to make it work when starting up