Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
GothwayBum

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Post by GothwayBum »

Forcing vsync through the card works in windows too, and having it false or 0 in game.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Test Build 2 has been updated to v0.0.5.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-un ... t-build-2/

This will be my last update before I go on leave tomorrow. When I return, I will release one final Test Build before proceeding to first true release. The next test build will be primarily about improving compatibility with classic save games and importing them more reliably in Daggerfall Unity.

v0.0.5 Patch Notes
  • Added console error message for MyDaggerfallPath if does not exist or fails validation.
  • Added popup error message if a classic save cannot be loaded.
  • Classic saves are now lazy-loaded during enumeration so they should always be visible. May still fail load however. This will be improved over time.
  • Now supports "arena2" and "ARENA2" as valid path names when searching inside MyDaggerfallPath.
  • Improved handling on bad startup (no path, etc.) to reduce cascading exceptions.
  • Removed resolution workaround as Unity 5.2.2f1 no longer requires this hack.
  • Improved door selection logic when exiting dungeons. Camera should also face correct direction on dungeon enter/exit.
  • Fixed date-time and cell coordinates when starting a new game after player died.
  • Changed StartingLocation in INI to world cell coordinates. This removes the need for a string lookup at startup, which can be broken by language mods to arena2.
  • Minor fixes to floating origin and streaming world.

Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Interkarma wrote:Added console error message for MyDaggerfallPath if does not exist or fails validation.
This message does not seem to be triggering for installations made with the original installer (tested with "Huge" install size). The game launches with a black screen and Daggerfall cursor but no error message.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Garrett wrote:
Interkarma wrote:Added console error message for MyDaggerfallPath if does not exist or fails validation.
This message does not seem to be triggering for installations made with the original installer (tested with "Huge" install size). The game launches with a black screen and Daggerfall cursor but no error message.
Thank you. :) At some point I'm going to spit out more detailed diagnostic text, mainly thanks to Lypyl who has been working on some extended diagnostic logging.

I also think the validator should offer more feedback on why a path may have failed validation, for example missing files. Will get there eventually!

pestonoire

Post by pestonoire »

Garrett wrote:
i had this same issue, and coping the .VID files from DFCD\DAGGER\ARENA2 into DAGGER\ARENA2 fixed it

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I dug up some old save I had in a backup and tested them with the latest build (0.0.5) - all loaded without problem. I'm starting outside of city I was in, instead of near where I was in the save - I think that's different IIRC.

I created a new character & ran through PH to Gothway Garden without problem. The only strange was the archer in that room with the U shaped table was dead before I got there - I think I've killed him so many times now he's just given up :D

All in all not much to say other than it's working great.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

LypyL wrote:I dug up some old save I had in a backup and tested them with the latest build (0.0.5) - all loaded without problem. I'm starting outside of city I was in, instead of near where I was in the save - I think that's different IIRC.

I created a new character & ran through PH to Gothway Garden without problem. The only strange was the archer in that room with the U shaped table was dead before I got there - I think I've killed him so many times now he's just given up :D

You sir, are a very clever man (as if we didn't know that already!).

This is still part of the gender issue. Previously, unknown genders would default to female. Now it doesn't load unknown genders and chucks an exception instead. That's why saves which loaded in test build 1 no longer load in test build 2.

So what's needed is some more research into genders, and maybe a popup box when encountering an unknown gender. This is preferable to not loading the save at all. Cheers Lypyl!

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

I've encountered very strange problem. Just to be sure - I've tested both Linux and Windows builds 0.0.5:

When I set VSync=False in settings.ini - some mobs (e.g. the very first rat in Privateer's Hold, most human mobs, skeletons) starts to move very, very slowly.

Everything works fine with VSync=True.

What's even stranger, it seems that player's walking and running speed and imps speed is fine.

BTW. I have VSync set in Nvidia driver settings on both Windows and Linux. There were no errors in logs.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

LypyL wrote:I dug up some old save I had in a backup and tested them with the latest build (0.0.5) - all loaded without problem. I'm starting outside of city I was in, instead of near where I was in the save - I think that's different IIRC.

Haha! :D I've seen that problem too - literally have no idea what's going on yet, but have already made a personal note to look at this one later.
Azdul wrote:I've encountered very strange problem. Just to be sure - I've tested both Linux and Windows builds 0.0.5:

When I set VSync=False in settings.ini - some mobs (e.g. the very first rat in Privateer's Hold, most human mobs, skeletons) starts to move very, very slowly.

Everything works fine with VSync=True.

What's even stranger, it seems that player's walking and running speed and imps speed is fine.

BTW. I have VSync set in Nvidia driver settings on both Windows and Linux. There were no errors in logs.
That's an interesting one, thank you for letting me know! :) I have an idea why this is happening and will correct in next build when I return from leave.

This is why it's awesome you guys are testing my work. By the time the first true release lands, most of the major teething problems should be sorted out. :)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Interkarma wrote:
You sir, are a very clever man (as if we didn't know that already!).

This is still part of the gender issue. Previously, unknown genders would default to female. Now it doesn't load unknown genders and chucks an exception instead. That's why saves which loaded in test build 1 no longer load in test build 2.

So what's needed is some more research into genders, and maybe a popup box when encountering an unknown gender. This is preferable to not loading the save at all. Cheers Lypyl!
This is in response to an email I sent him, to anyone confused :P

To be clear - the problem only starts with the gender value, the editor makes a bunch of unexplainable changes beyond that (I noted around 7) - if I comment out the throw exception at unknown gender, it will just choke at a later point.