Daggerfall Unity 0.1 Release

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Corak

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.1 Release

Post by Corak »

>I don't want to just skip movies if not present
>DaggerfallSetup and GOG versions

That's very sad - never liked GOGs. Russian version also works perfectly on DFUnity.
Prefer running in my own rip version with most localizations (En/Ru/Fr), you can test it, just added DFUnity loader there too:
http://m.vk.com/doc-62542735_437141253
Had to replace all vids with smallest files to escape this Unity version bug. Sad, you won't fix it. It would be much better if video were optional, if somebody wants to skip or delete them.

> result in people submitting bug reports that the movies aren't playing.

Oh.. That's not right at all... If there is video - it will play, if not - it's shouldn't, but the game still must work, not making some error log messages in .txt file that will trash out the hdd in eternal cycle until it's filled out. Even orignal version works perfectly without videos. Why Unity ver not? Nobody would report if they deleted video or use ripped version, that really stupid and you should'nt care for such reports at all (if they ever be). When they run Unity version they wanna hires graphics and gameplay mostly, so no one will care if there is no unneeded ingame cinema, when even most gameplay (inventory, quests, people, spells, fasttravel) still is not added.

>night-time
>night except the lights are turned down and city point lights are enabled. A couple of questions for you:
>do you have enhanced sky or far terrain enabled?

Far terrian and enhanced sky was enabled, but this is not depends - I turned out enhanced sky and far terrian - got the same results. Speed falls down nearly 5-10 times at nights in town, so it's comes nearly to 4-15fps and even stops for a 4-5 seconds.

>issue in the wilderness, far from any cities. Or do you only experience in cities?

Only in cities. This seems city lights problem. They consume too much cpu/gpu time. When it's daytime (or morning) - speed is perfect.
MySpecs GPU: Nvidia GTX750. CPU: Duocore 2333mhz: OS:WinXP
So it's fast enough for Unity engine.

Here's quicksave when it's really slow. Just compare cpu/gpu, fps in day/night:
http://files.leraux.ru/Corak/Temp/Bugre ... t_town.rar

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Corak wrote: Had to replace all vids with smallest files to escape this Unity version bug. Sad, you won't fix it. It would be much better if video were optional, if somebody wants to skip or delete them.
I will consider skipping videos if they are not present, thank you for your feedback.
Corak wrote: Only in cities. This seems city lights problem. They consume too much cpu/gpu time. When it's daytime (or morning) - speed is perfect.
MySpecs GPU: Nvidia GTX750. CPU: Duocore 2333mhz: OS:WinXP
So it's fast enough for Unity engine.
Daggerfall can use hundreds of animated point lights in cities, which can be a problem depending on CPU performance and fill-rate of GPU. Your GPU is probably fine (I've tested fine on lesser cards), but unfortunately that Core2Duo does not meet the minimum requirement of an Intel i3 or equivalent. Windows XP is also not a supported platform.

To help with this in future versions, I will add optimizations in 0.2 to reduce both CPU and GPU load of city lights. I can't guarantee this will solve the issue in your case, but it should improve things. Thank you again for your feedback.

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

A save file from DOS Daggerfall for testing purposes - lots of different ingredients (almost all the carrying capacity) on a single character. No save editing, just buying everything from the shop shelves.
SAVE0-helluva ingredients.zip
(61.12 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome! Thank you Michael, this will very much come in handy.

I've been working mapping instantiated items back to their templates, and ingredients are a pretty good test case. Cheers mate!

Paladin Waffles

Post by Paladin Waffles »

Hey, wanted to say thanks for the mod and keep up the good work, it's a good game and it deserves a quality overhaul. I have to report a bug though, the broken save loading glitch that one of the users before me had, where you can't escape the UI with the cancel button but was reportedly fixed with a new patch, it's happening to me now and I'm on the latest patch. I'd like to know if there is any workaround for this or if I did something wrong.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

G'day Paladin Waffles, welcome to the forums. :) Thank you for the bug report. Quickest way to help is to zip up folders SAVE0-SAVE5 and email them to me. I can then work out which save is causing the problem and implement a fix.

At some point in the near future, I will decouple DF Unity save/load from importing classic saves, making this process a lot more robust.