Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Narf the Mouse

Re: Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Post by Narf the Mouse »

You may be able to use a Levitate spell to enable completing the quest.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

DigitalMonk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm *** sigh ***

So, after getting incredibly excited, I picked up a Mage Guild quest from Midmoth in Daelia(?) (kill a rogue wizard or some such) which sent me to the laboratory at "Tower of Yeomhouse". After exploring for a little while, I started spinning the map, looking for hidden doors or open hallways and didn't see any, so I tried tele2qmarker...

And briefly saw a dead body before falling into the void, with the entirety of the dungeon approximately 3 dungeon diameters in the distance...

This could be a problem with Persistent Dungeons, I suppose. To test, just now I disabled it and wandered into and out of the dungeon a few times. The normal enemies are respawning, so I'd guess that the dungeon is refilling, but I don't know specifically when the main quest opponent gets placed. tele2qmarker still sends me to the void.

The only other thing I can think of is that "Tower of Yeomhouse" sounds very, very familiar, and I think this is the second time in rapid succession that I ran this quest. So, something like the following may have happened:
  • Persistent Dungeons enabled. SmallerDungeons=False
  • Get Mage Guild quest to Tower of Yeomhouse. Complete it. Go back to Midmoth.
  • Set SmallerDungeons=True
  • Get Mage Guild quest to Tower of Yeomhouse. Try to complete, fall into void.
I'm _pretty_ sure that I enabled SmallerDungeons BEFORE picking up the second instance of the quest, but it's Monday morning and it's possible that I took the quest while SmallerDungeons was disabled, then enabled it before going there.

I had hoped that disabled Peristent Dungeons would let whatever flush itself out of memory, but no luck.

I can provide a save if it helps. Dunno if it's something specific to this dungeon seed or quest seed or just something borked in my save.
You can not have active dungeon quests running when you activate SmallerDungeons. That's why tele2qmarker took you to the void. The thing is, the NPC is placed at the dungeon when you accept the quest, the Smaller Dungeons setting actually strips out dungeon blocks so if your questmarker was in one of those, it's void time :D

If you still have the save, deactivate SmallerDungeons, go to the Tower of Yeomhouse and tele2qmarker should land you properly near your quest target.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This is the perfect example of why this setting is not a simple check-box ;) Hence Interkarma's warnings in the first post:
Disadvantages
  • If player is already inside a dungeon subject to this change, you'll probably be dropped into the void. Please ensure your character is outside before toggling this setting.
  • If you have quests targeting a random location, they may no longer be functional. Best to clear your active quests before toggling this setting. Main story quests should be fine provided they aren't currently targeting a random dungeon.
  • Unforeseen issues might result from this change. Please consider it experimental only. Feature may or may not become part of Daggerfall Unity 1.0. It might evolve into something else or be cut completely.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Yep. Thank you both. I really thought I had toggled it BEFORE taking the quest, but guess not. Got that one cleared, made sure nothing was outstanding, turned it back on, tried again, all is great. My bad all around... Thanks for the help!

algfr

Post by algfr »

I've used this for month and ran into no issue.

algfr

Post by algfr »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 pm This is the perfect example of why this setting is not a simple check-box ;) Hence Interkarma's warnings in the first post:
Disadvantages
  • If player is already inside a dungeon subject to this change, you'll probably be dropped into the void. Please ensure your character is outside before toggling this setting.
  • If you have quests targeting a random location, they may no longer be functional. Best to clear your active quests before toggling this setting. Main story quests should be fine provided they aren't currently targeting a random dungeon.
  • Unforeseen issues might result from this change. Please consider it experimental only. Feature may or may not become part of Daggerfall Unity 1.0. It might evolve into something else or be cut completely.
I think at this point this setting should be available in the main menu. It works fine !

Doctor3d

Post by Doctor3d »

This dramatically improves the flow of the game. At first, I wasn't sure I would like this as I quite like being lost in a big dungeon. But, after playing with this enabled for quite awhile now- I can't see myself ever going back. It makes the game even more fun.

algfr

Post by algfr »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 pm Yep - floating skulls, red brick doors, pressure plates on the floors, tapestries, secret doors, moving walls, and more. There are loads of tricks built into various dungeons for getting around. Whenever you hit a seeming dead end, there's usually a secret nearby. The main problem is that DF doesn't help you find any of them.

DFU uses the same game data as classic. All of these little action records were put into the game by the original dungeon designers who built the block layouts back in the day.
Hello,

Do you consider putting it in the next release ?

I've been playing it for months and can't go back, never had a problem with the quests.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It would be interesting to allow. perhaps as a mod. randomly sized dungeons. Where some are small, some are large and some are somewhere in the middle. You would need to remember the blocks that were selected once a particular game began.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

jayhova wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 am You would need to remember the blocks that were selected once a particular game began.
That shouldn't be necessary, even with that extra parameter you can use pseudo-randomness seeding.

And if you don't want larger dungeons to be supersets of the smaller ones, just seed with dungeon ID + size parameter instead of just dungeon ID, and the dungeon variants of different sizes will look totally unrelated.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart