Let's Make A New Demo!

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Let's Make A New Demo!

Post by Interkarma »

You guys have blown everyone away with your efforts lately. I've received a few emails from non-developers who want to play with the cool stuff they've been seeing. How about we put together another playable demo with some of these items? Here's what I have in mind for our first truly collaborative demo.

1. Unity 5 build from latest code (Interkarma).
2. Distant terrain (Nystul).
3. Dynamic sky (LypyL).
4. DaggerJet exploration (LypyL).
5. Real grass (Uncanny_Valley).

Nystul and LypyL, would you guys like to make any code updates to your current version of those items? Also LypyL, I can't seem to download your enhanced sky from http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload ... ancedsky_2. Is there an updated link?

I'm also not sure if Uncanny_Valley is ready to share his work with the world yet. Just let me know mate and I'll drop item 5. :)

LypyL

Re: Let's Make A New Demo!

Post by LypyL »

Sounds cool! Yeah, if you can give me a little while I'll put together a proper version of the jet - the current one was just something I threw together real quick for fun and should be fixed up before being included in something "official". As to the Enhanced Sky, I have no idea why I uploaded it there in the first place instead of my Google drive...old habits I guess! This link should work. Instructions are [url = http://pastebin.com/LKEbdKtN]here[/url] - let me know if you have any questions.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I'm also not sure if Uncanny_Valley is ready to share his work with the world yet. Just let me know mate and I'll drop item 5. :)
I would love to have my Real Grass to be a part of this new demo. Just give me a day or two and I will upload a link to it.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Great idea! I would be glad to provide a version with the terrain improvements. There are though still some bugs in it:
-) the height positioning of objects
-) shadow problems at many locations (I think this is related to height as well)
-) map border index out of bounds in one of my scripts (should be easy to fix)

I would like to have a few more days to polish it a bit. would that be feasable?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome, thanks everyone. :)

I'm stuck on project work for at least a couple more weeks, so no rush on your tune-ups. There's also bound to be a little back and forth while we iron out some bugs. Let's aim for roughly after mid-April for release. Will that be enough time for everyone?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I'm fine with it ;)

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I uploaded my real grass mod. Try it out! :D I don't know if there is much more I can do with it at this point, but if I find anything to fix and improve I will of course upload it.

Something I been thinking about (and was the first thing I played around with the tools) is to implement some easy way to replace textures and meshes. The XL engine forums has a lot of nice replacement textures and meshes that people have made and it would be great too see them in-game. Because having them showcased in a demo might inspire people to continue improving and adding more replacements. My own experiments with this was a simple material replacer; after loading a material in MaterialReader.cs, search the "Resources" folder for a Material with the same name, if you find one, use that instead of the one you loaded. Not the best solution but it worked quite nicely. Not saying that it needs to be in this april demo but I feel that it would be a great addition to have in the near future and would add more spark to modding community. Any thoughts on this?

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: Something I been thinking about (and was the first thing I played around with the tools) is to implement some easy way to replace textures and meshes. The XL engine forums has a lot of nice replacement textures and meshes that people have made and it would be great too see them in-game. Because having them showcased in a demo might inspire people to continue improving and adding more replacements. My own experiments with this was a simple material replacer; after loading a material in MaterialReader.cs, search the "Resources" folder for a Material with the same name, if you find one, use that instead of the one you loaded. Not the best solution but it worked quite nicely. Not saying that it needs to be in this april demo but I feel that it would be a great addition to have in the near future and would add more spark to modding community. Any thoughts on this?
I played around with replacing whole objects (mainly trees, street lamps and some other common flats you find around the cities) with prefabs a long time ago. It worked well, but that was before the streaming world arrived...I haven't really looked into since. I think your plan sounds great! It would be amazing down the line if it was possible to load replacement files externally (ie not have to recompile it every time you want to add something) - but that's of course not needed yet!

An idea I had for the demo is an ingame fast travel map / menu, rather than just the presets and random location. I'll try and tackle it if I have the time, but if someone else is interested and does it first I won't complain :lol: (and of course it's up to InterKarma whether or not it goes in the demo!)

edit: Oh yeah, mid April should be fine.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Firstly, hi all! I have been watching the DaggerXL project for a looooong time, and when I have seen your efforts, I was simply blown away! Great work, all of you people!

LypyL> It is not needed yet for you, but there are a lot of people without any programming skills, who are interested in remaking DF… or willing to help in the process. Having an easy way to make and use (see in game/demo) texture or model replacements would be a big help. A BIG help actually. :) I believe, that’s what Uncanny_Valley meant.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I could try to implement a simplified fast travel map.
I have managed to show the world map when key"m" is pressed.
So I wouldn't have to start from scratch. though I have some open issues with the increased terrain distance scrit I have to solve first