Graphic Issues Thread

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Graphic Issues Thread

Post by Nystul »

I want to mantain a list of graphical issues of DaggerfallUnity that I would like to resolve in collaboration all together over time:

textures overbright in unity 5.3+ (once DaggerfallUnity is updated to version 5.3+)
shadow artifacts due to floating point precision (floating-origin with x,y,z-repositioning)
artifacts on terrain tile textures which are far away (on the texture borders, see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10&start=140#p1345 - you can see the issue at the transition from near to far terrain)
make global fog work correctly with camera stack when distant terrain mod is active (so foggy weather can be implemented correctly)
better transition from near and far terrain (if distant terrain mod is active)
better night-lighting of far terrain (to allow to solve this issue, the first issue has to be solved first)

did I forget something?
please feel free to report missing items! no feature request/wishlist items please, only issues ;)

Interkarma

Re: Graphic Issues Thread

Post by Interkarma »

I'll add the following.
  • Some textures converted incorrectly from DF UV coordinates (my bug) resulting in stuff like squashed or duplicated windows. Other textures are skewed (a bug in game data and visible in original game, but not as noticeable at low resolutions).
  • Hedge models (e.g. behind Wayrest) have been lazily placed by original designers, resulting in many overlapped models. You can see them z-fighting in DFU. This is also a bug in game data and can be seen in original game.
  • Tilemap has minor texture bleeding on some GPUs, especially lower-end and integrated GPUs. Probably just need to revisit tilemap shader.
textures overbright in unity 5.3+ (once DaggerfallUnity is updated to version 5.3+)
The overbright issue in 5.3 isn't strictly a bug in DFU, it's a fundamental change in Unity's lighting calculations to better match Marmoset. Fully rough, retro textures like our just aren't being lit properly by the Standard shader. There's a potential fix in post #58 of this thread using a couple shader defines to disable GGX. Haven't tried this fix yet, as 5.3 has a host of other serious problems preventing me from going back to it for now. I doubt that I'll be upgrading until 5.4.
shadow artifacts due to floating point precision (floating-origin with x,y,z-repositioning)
I'll get around to updating the updated floating origin script for Y axis soon. Simpler to let this one through to the keeper for now as it complicates a few other things.
artifacts on terrain tile textures which are far away (on the texture borders
That's what happens with texture samples at extreme distances, well beyond what the tilemap was originally intended to handle (intended to be obscured by fog in days before your mod came along). My "surprisingly easy" fix was to scale the sample size as distance increases. Turns out this works well for splat maps but no so well for tilemaps as the tilemap arrangement itself then needs to be compensated. I'm trying to engineer a solution, but it's non-trivial while keeping with the retro tiled look of the terrain. Something will come up. :)

On the whole I'm very happy with the appearance of things in Daggerfall Unity, but would also love to see these items resolved. For now my personal priority is going to be on adding more gameplay features from 0.2 on. There will be plenty of time to polish and shine once there's more of a game in there. I approve of keeping these items together like you have here, thank you. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not sure if this is a texture error or something else, but this house painting gets cut off halfway through. I'll try to find that painting again in vanilla so I can compare its original dimensions -- it seems the house I entered in DFU has "nothing of interest" in vanilla.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Whoa! Not seen that one before. You're on fire. :)

Any chance you could send me a Daggerfall Unity quicksave.txt for that interior (from your persistent data folder). That would allow me to boot straight up to that spot and inspect the data in editor. It could just be an ill-formed model, of which Daggerfall has plenty, or something more interesting. Cheers.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I found it again. I've sent it as QuickSavePainting. Along the way, I found two more errors, along with their Quicksaves (that I've sent to you as well). One is a tiling issue in a regular house, and the other is a lamppost that's seen better days. I can't remember if that tiling is also apparent in vanilla, as I may just be noticing it more while on this topic.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

While traveling through a snowy area, I found a section of white ground that doesn't mesh properly. The QuickSave can be found here.

EDIT: I'll add on to here since this thread isn't particularly urgent. In The Thuzur Cemetery, Ephesus, most textures are different. Unity compared to vanilla. Quicksave here. EDIT: This issue was noted here.