Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by Nystul »

thanks!

btw, I enjoy the improvements to the inventory so much - excellent ideas and implementation! and finally being able to swing my adamantium mace really made me rejoice!

Furthermore I also love the new feature in the travelmap that you can click on neighbor regions in the region view and navigate to them this way! Lypyl did a great job by putting out this brilliant idea!

btw, because you mentioned the fireplace. Right now animated textures won't show up on the automap - maybe we can find a neat soultion for this - but no hurry on this one ;)

Reath

Post by Reath »

I sent an e-mail to Gavin with the saves he requested.
Nystul wrote: You have to touch or look straight at them (crosshair over it). There is also a maximum distance for discovery of geometry by looking at it. I may implement improvements in future but for now it should be ok ;)
I hadn't noticed you can look at them too. That's a better way to map them. The activation range could be larger than the crosshair, since it's pretty small. The automap is already good, though. The higher resolution and mouse dragging makes it much more convenient to use than the original one.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Reath wrote:
Nystul wrote: You have to touch or look straight at them (crosshair over it). There is also a maximum distance for discovery of geometry by looking at it. I may implement improvements in future but for now it should be ok ;)
I hadn't noticed you can look at them too. That's a better way to map them. The activation range could be larger than the crosshair, since it's pretty small. The automap is already good, though. The higher resolution and mouse dragging makes it much more convenient to use than the original one.
ok! thanks for feedback! glad, you like it!
right-click on most buttons usually does something (e.g. right-click on stairs up/down will move the slice plane up/down (this can be handy pretty often)) - you can find most functionality in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=163&start=60#p1608

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

A very solid and awesome build! Great work as always! To everyone!

Some feedback and suggestions.

Travel map: Is 'v' the default key in base daggerfall? Because for me the logical key would be "m". That depending on whether or not I'm inside a structure , the game automatically opens the correct map for me. I would also love to be able to close the travel map by pressing the map key again. Same goes for the other screens such as the inventory and character screen (I think the dungeon interior automap is the only meny with this "feature")

Dungeon and interior map: Works great! Would love to be able to rotate the camera by holding down the right mousebutton.

Setup helper: I would be nice to have the options to turn on the normal map setting that you added some time ago, I think it's a cool little feature that is worth showing off. :D

In the console, it would be nice if the help section show the different options for "set_weather" as well as the default value of "set_timescale".

I noticed that the grass from my mod is considerable brighter in this version, and doesn't blend with the terrain as it should. My mistake for not making it with your new light setup in mind. I attached an update to the script that should correct this. If you could merge this update for me into the build, I would really appreciate it! :D
RealGrass script update.zip
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
I also found a upside down door in the castle in daggerfall (see screenshot)
door_upside dow.png
door_upside dow.png (255.94 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
Again, great work! I really love this project in so many ways! :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Uncanny_Valley wrote:A very solid and awesome build! Great work as always! To everyone!
Cheers! :)
Uncanny_Valley wrote: Travel map: Is 'v' the default key in base daggerfall? Because for me the logical key would be "m". That depending on whether or not I'm inside a structure , the game automatically opens the correct map for me.
Yep, V is the default key in Daggerfall for the travel map. :) Daggerfall itself makes the distinction between travel map and automap. When inside a city for example, V opens the travel interface and M opens the exterior automap (not implemented yet). Can't really set them both to the same key as they both do different things, even when outside.

Edit: Although I do see the problem, and last night watched some guys on youtube struggling with this as well. I'll see what I can do to improve this once the city automap is online.
Uncanny_Valley wrote: Setup helper: I would be nice to have the options to turn on the normal map setting that you added some time ago, I think it's a cool little feature that is worth showing off. :D
Good idea! I wasn't happy with the performance of these options and left them disabled. Intended to rewrite down the road. An option can't hurt though, especially if users are aware of the performance impact.
Uncanny_Valley wrote: I noticed that the grass from my mod is considerable brighter in this version, and doesn't blend with the terrain as it should. My mistake for not making it with your new light setup in mind. I attached an update to the script that should correct this. If you could merge this update for me into the build, I would really appreciate it! :D
Will do, thank you!
Uncanny_Valley wrote: I also found a upside down door in the castle in daggerfall (see screenshot)
It's like that in Daggerfall as well. I didn't notice either until the resolution was a bit higher. The doors don't open the right ways in our build though, something we need to fix.
fall_061.png
fall_061.png (20.43 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
Uncanny_Valley wrote: Again, great work! I really love this project in so many ways! :D
Thanks mate. I really appreciate your contributions as well! :)

Kepling

Post by Kepling »

Uncanny_Valley wrote:Travel map: Is 'v' the default key in base daggerfall? Because for me the logical key would be "m". That depending on whether or not I'm inside a structure , the game automatically opens the correct map for me. I would also love to be able to close the travel map by pressing the map key again. Same goes for the other screens such as the inventory and character screen (I think the dungeon interior automap is the only meny with this "feature")
Pressing "M" while outside and in a town should bring up the town's map so that may not work having them as the same key, otherwise good suggestions.
Nystul wrote:world curvature can not be easily implemented with standard unity terrain. What I tried was to write a vertex shader that attenuated heights based on distance - but unfortunately this breaks unity lighting completely (and it suffers from even more serious problems)

so what I do in the distant terrain mod is to fake it by aplha-fading far distant terrain (terrain is also faded into skybox color by using fog).

About the distance: it is intended that you can see a bit further than what would be realistic. The reason is that the terrain is kind of flat and boring (even though I already improved it a bit in my script). Furthermore on clear sunny days it is possible to see much farther than just 3 miles (one can see - when standing on mountains - 100+ kilometers on a perfect weather day - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon - but this is for earth - no idea how the situation would be for tamriel))
Glad to hear I'm not the only one to think of this, hopefully down the road there will be an Unity update that will allow us to pull it off without messing up other things. I believe Nirn is about the same size as Earth so the same rules should apply.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: In the console, it would be nice if the help section show the different options for "set_weather" as well as the default value of "set_timescale".
You can type "help command" to get more details for any command. The timescale command could still use some more information like what the default setting is (10).

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

It seems that 0.2.5 has a problem with comma as decimal separator on Linux.
With my default settings, (LANG=pl_PL) - everything works fine on the first run. When I quit DFUnity, and try to start again, I get only black screen.

I've found out that I need to replace commas with dots in "settings.ini" in DimAlphaStrength and WeaponSwingThreshold values.
It seems that DFUnity stores those values with local decimal separator (comma), but during reading it expects dot as decimal separator.

Everything works fine when I execute "export LANG=en_US" before running DFUnity for the very first time.

Cheers,

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Also - it seems that "hit" sounds are missing in both Linux and Windows builds.
For comparison - how it sounds in original DF: https://youtu.be/hsEK6_jND7A?list=PLDD5 ... 75292&t=36
In DFUnity there is no "thump" sound played after hitting rats or bats.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Azdul wrote:It seems that 0.2.5 has a problem with comma as decimal separator on Linux.
With my default settings, (LANG=pl_PL) - everything works fine on the first run. When I quit DFUnity, and try to start again, I get only black screen.

I've found out that I need to replace commas with dots in "settings.ini" in DimAlphaStrength and WeaponSwingThreshold values.
It seems that DFUnity stores those values with local decimal separator (comma), but during reading it expects dot as decimal separator.

Everything works fine when I execute "export LANG=en_US" before running DFUnity for the very first time.

Cheers,
Thanks for letting me know. I fixed this in 0.1 - surprised to see it back again. Will look into the problem.

Edit: Should be fixed now. Patch will be in 0.2.6 or later, which I'll try to get out later this week.
Azdul wrote:Also - it seems that "hit" sounds are missing in both Linux and Windows builds.
For comparison - how it sounds in original DF: https://youtu.be/hsEK6_jND7A?list=PLDD5 ... 75292&t=36
In DFUnity there is no "thump" sound played after hitting rats or bats.
Combat is still just a placeholder for now, but I always appreciate good feedback thank you. :)