Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the feedback guys. :) I'm sorry to see the black ground is back. Probably not too unexpected with DX9-only card, but hopefully one day I can rebuild that shader to work a bit better across a wider range of systems.

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

The travel map works better with entering the names of places you want to visit. Pointing at them directly is somehow complicated.

The game crashed when I tried to enter Scourg Barrow (travelling to the location works fine, entering the dungeon itself does not).
(Or perhaps i missed something - i vaguely remember that Daggerfall Castle and Scourg Barrow are not supposed to work yet

Here is the crash report and my save (the same as for the previous posts in this thread).
2016-04-03_104240.zip
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
SAVE0-helluva ingredients.zip
(61.12 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

After testing, the white texture bug is from the reflections mod (so not a problem w/ DfUnity itself ;) ). I can also find the bug at the tops of banners.

http://i.imgur.com/Ra0LkGP.jpg
The travel map works better with entering the names of places you want to visit. Pointing at them directly is somehow complicated.
I'm personally not experiencing this at all - I'm wondering if it's related to your other problems. What resolution are you playing at?
The game crashed when I tried to enter Scourg Barrow (travelling to the location works fine, entering the dungeon itself does not).
(Or perhaps i missed something - i vaguely remember that Daggerfall Castle and Scourg Barrow are not supposed to work yet
All dungeons are enter-able / explore-able (afaik anyways - both of those definitely are). If you had the reflection mod on, try again without it.

Thanks for all the reports!

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

I am playing at 1024*768, windowed and at 1280*1024, full screen.

It is a strange issue - i point at some pixels representing homes\cities - some of them respond, some of them don't show their names.

Castle of Daggerfall works - i was even surprised by the conversation with the guard :D
Cool, i did not expect this to be implemented already.
Spoiler!
Screenshot_11.jpg
Screenshot_11.jpg (120.39 KiB) Viewed 5073 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Michael_TEFL wrote:Castle of Daggerfall works - i was even surprised by the conversation with the guard :D
Cool, i did not expect this to be implemented already.
Lypyl has done an amazing job building out those dungeon actions. :)

Thanks for providing the error log. The crash at the end seems related to packing one of the enemy texture atlases. Weird, since Unity itself does the texture packing and seems to be working most of the time for you. I'm also seeing a lot of memory errors as well. It might have crashed just because the texture pack ran out of RAM or texture memory.

DrThrewba

Post by DrThrewba »

Don't know if this is a known bug from 0.1, but if you fill up the console using 'help' around 6 times it stops displaying text.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Sometimes I had black screen (no light)
http://imgur.com/qQUAzJW
When go back to menu, light on
http://imgur.com/CRoiU0f
Reload helps.

Also, sometimes game crashes when fast trevel.

And in 0.2 you can't create custom class and answer questions and no loot in dungeons and people in cities?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Michael_TEFL wrote: 7) unfortunately the "black earth" issue is back (it has been fixed in the previous release, I'm a bit sad to see it again. Well, yes - my graphic card is outdated). (screenshot 7)
did you activate the reflections mod? if yes, please try to deactivate it and see if this solves the problem...
Michael_TEFL wrote: C) Not an issue, but a question - what do those red and green arrows in the dungeon map mean?
red is the marker beacon for player position
green is the marker beacon for the dungeon entrance
blue is the rotation axis beacon (this can be moved with right click on arrow buttons)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

LypyL wrote:After testing, the white texture bug is from the reflections mod (so not a problem w/ DfUnity itself ;) ). I can also find the bug at the tops of banners.
http://i.imgur.com/Ra0LkGP.jpg
will try to reproduce it on my system. this is an interesting one...

update: yes I encounter this as well in the executable. I have not ever seen this before in unity editor. What is going on here? :/
update2: checked it inside unity editor - in there the issue does not occur... very strange

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Kepling wrote: One thing I've been thinking about is world curvature, since with the view distance mod we can see out hundreds of miles. A quick google search shows that when standing on a beach you can only see about 3 miles out to sea before it disappears into the horizon, and considering the size of the Iliac bay it's kinda unrealistic to see all the way across it. Granted this might be a huge pain to pull off, but it would be nice to see mountains rise up out of the horizon as you travel.
world curvature can not be easily implemented with standard unity terrain. What I tried was to write a vertex shader that attenuated heights based on distance - but unfortunately this breaks unity lighting completely (and it suffers from even more serious problems)

so what I do in the distant terrain mod is to fake it by aplha-fading far distant terrain (terrain is also faded into skybox color by using fog).

About the distance: it is intended that you can see a bit further than what would be realistic. The reason is that the terrain is kind of flat and boring (even though I already improved it a bit in my script). Furthermore on clear sunny days it is possible to see much farther than just 3 miles (one can see - when standing on mountains - 100+ kilometers on a perfect weather day - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon - but this is for earth - no idea how the situation would be for tamriel))