Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by Jay_H »

I actually found out how the game uses Elvish and other names. They're implemented in the character backstory creation. I realized it when I opened up the History for my most recent character, and it said he was sent to live in a temple with an elvish priest by the name of something or other. The lengths they went to with this game! I really wish Julian had had that extra year or so he wanted before it was released.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Good catch!

it's too bad we're missing argonian and khajitt names...maybe at some point someone could come up with names for them as well, maybe from the other games or something, it could be useful for mods. Also adding a name generator at the character creation screen would be handy.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Getting the names will be easy. The UESP has very helpfully compiled every single name in vanilla for each game, including for Argonians and Khajiit. We could just carry over from Arena's naming system, which every other Daggerfall race shares, or adapt from TES3-5; in that case, it would be easy to alter them so it doesn't break immersion that much (like seeing the name "Habasi Sugar-Lips" show up in Daggerfall).

reporting_a_bug

Post by reporting_a_bug »

I'm running on gnu linux

1. At certain areas of dungeons, the weapon gets stuck, it won't swing, no matter which way, until I back out of that section of the dungeon. e.g. open a door, go inside the room, can't swing the weapon, so i have to bait the enemy out and leave the room, where it swings.

2. i opened the inventory and started equipping/unequipping weapons and armour, clothes. I took off my characters pants and they disappeared from the inventory completely, never to return. My character now has no pants. Upon equipping weapons, the inventory list becomes blank, but clicking in the boxes sometimes still changes the equipped items as if they are simply invisible, other times it doesn't work.

3. At the character creation screen, I couldn't select cyrodil at all, I tried clicking it all over but the game did not respond.

A request: please provide builds for the latest source at regular intervals if possible.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

reporting_a_bug wrote:3. At the character creation screen, I couldn't select cyrodil at all, I tried clicking it all over but the game did not respond.
That's part of Daggerfall. Before Morrowind, TES didn't have an "imperial" race. The residents of Cyrodiil were assumed to just be mixes of every other region.

reporting_a_bug

Jay_H wrote:
reporting_a_bug wrote:3. At the character creation screen, I couldn't select cyrodil at all, I tried clicking it all over but the game did not respond.
That's part of Daggerfall. Before Morrowind, TES didn't have an "imperial" race. The residents of Cyrodiil were assumed to just be mixes of every other region.
haha my bad scratch that one :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No problem. It's actually refreshing to see people unfamiliar with Daggerfall come join us. Welcome to the forums.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

G'day reporting_a_bug, welcome to the forums. :) Are you sure you want to run with that name? You seem more like a feature. :D
reporting_a_bug wrote:1. At certain areas of dungeons, the weapon gets stuck, it won't swing, no matter which way, until I back out of that section of the dungeon. e.g. open a door, go inside the room, can't swing the weapon, so i have to bait the enemy out and leave the room, where it swings.
Genuinely no idea on this one. The weapon swings are triggered only by mouse inputs and have no basis on player position in space or scene layout. I've noticed Linux and Unity aren't exactly best of friends when sampling mouse movement, so it could be that old problem again. I'll do a bit of reading and see what I can find.
reporting_a_bug wrote: 2. i opened the inventory and started equipping/unequipping weapons and armour, clothes. I took off my characters pants and they disappeared from the inventory completely, never to return. My character now has no pants. Upon equipping weapons, the inventory list becomes blank, but clicking in the boxes sometimes still changes the equipped items as if they are simply invisible, other times it doesn't work.
Not really encountered this before in current build. Perhaps a texture loading issue somewhere along the line. It would be very helpful if you could send me one of the affected save games and your output log for me to review. Details on where to find this are in the manual (on the last page under Feedback).
reporting_a_bug wrote: A request: please provide builds for the latest source at regular intervals if possible.
Have been working towards making this a possibility for a little while. You should hear more during 0.3 release cycle.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

reporting_a_bug wrote: 1. At certain areas of dungeons, the weapon gets stuck, it won't swing, no matter which way, until I back out of that section of the dungeon. e.g. open a door, go inside the room, can't swing the weapon, so i have to bait the enemy out and leave the room, where it swings.
I think this is most likely related to an issue with Unity's input system on Linux. Many people are still experiencing locking up problems with mouse input on Linux. It's all to easy to find threads like this one, and problems still seem to be present in recent 5.4 beta releases.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/weird- ... or.357572/

Hopefully a problem Unity will address one day.

reporting_a_bug

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome, guys
Interkarma wrote: Genuinely no idea on this one. The weapon swings are triggered only by mouse inputs and have no basis on player position in space or scene layout. I've noticed Linux and Unity aren't exactly best of friends when sampling mouse movement, so it could be that old problem again. I'll do a bit of reading and see what I can find.
This is still happening with what I got from the test repo, and it renders the game near unplayable for me. I'm not entirely convinced that it's dependent on player position any longer, because in some cases it just appears to happen randomly, for example I walked into a room, killed a mob and then tried to bash a locked door in the same room, and the weapon was stuck. It worked perfect even inside the room, except whenever I was near the locked door it wouldn't budge.
Interkarma wrote:I think this is most likely related to an issue with Unity's input system on Linux. Many people are still experiencing locking up problems with mouse input on Linux. It's all to easy to find threads like this one, and problems still seem to be present in recent 5.4 beta releases.
I guess that might explain it, but this thread specifically talks about the problem happening in-editor only, whereas this issue is happening outside of the editor.
Interkarma wrote: Not really encountered this before in current build. Perhaps a texture loading issue somewhere along the line. It would be very helpful if you could send me one of the affected save games and your output log for me to review. Details on where to find this are in the manual (on the last page under Feedback).
Since I cloned the test repo and tried it out just now, I can confirm this isn't happening anymore. The inventory window seems a lot more stable in general too.

Link to player.log (Don't know if this is the right one)
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/b7490 ... 364721dab8