Open Question : Quest File Format?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Open Question : Quest File Format?

Post by Interkarma »

This is an open question for a ways down the road (6+ months) when quest support will hopefully be in prototype stages.

My goals for quest support are:
  • Standalone files. Classic quest data should be converted from (not dependent on) vanilla .QBN, .QRC files.
  • Format should be open, human-readable, and easy to edit.
  • Possible to add/edit quests right from the get-go.
With the above in mind, do you guys have any file formats you would prefer to see? Something like XML is an obvious choice, and some work has been done along that line by others, but I'm open to suggestions. If possible, I'd like something even more human-readable than XML provided it has the features to support detailed, highly linked quest data.

I'd also prefer something open-source and off-the-shelf than reinventing the wheel, but Daggerfall is a little special in the way it does things so a little reinvention is probably going to inevitable.

Let me know what you think. Cheers. :)

Eric

Re: Open Question : Quest File Format?

Post by Eric »

I think json would be cool, I personally prefere it to XML :D

Specter

Post by Specter »

I think XML is a good idea too :D . Another solution would be to use a .TXT file like the saves use.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I would prefer not xml; I find it ugly and awkward to use. json looks a lot better to me.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.