Can't start Daggerfall Unity on Linux

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
erasmo85

Can't start Daggerfall Unity on Linux

Post by erasmo85 »

Hi everybody,
first of all I would thank you Gavin and the team for the wonderful work of reviving and remastering Daggerfall which is one of my all-time favorite game ever :)
I am writing here because unfortunately I can't launch Daggerfall on Linux, I'm trying it on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64bit, my video card is a Nvidia Geforce 9600M GS and, yes, I am using a laptop. I've got the following error message:

Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

I hope to get some help because I am really looking forward this project and I would love to play it without using DosBox, on a modern engine :)

My best regards!
Last edited by erasmo85 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Can't start Daggerfall Unity on Linux

Post by Interkarma »

G'day erasmo85, welcome to the forums. :)

If you can, please send me the "Player.log" and "settings.ini" files (or just reply with text pasted into spoiler tags if easier). This will give me full detail on what happened leading up to error. On Linux, they should be in the below folder:

/home/username/.config/unity3d/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity

Cheers!

erasmo85

Post by erasmo85 »

Interkarma wrote:G'day erasmo85, welcome to the forums. :)

If you can, please send me the "Player.log" and "settings.ini" files (or just reply with text pasted into spoiler tags if easier). This will give me full detail on what happened leading up to error. On Linux, they should be in the below folder:

/home/username/.config/unity3d/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply! For some strange reasons it didn't create the folder there or anywhere, so I can't retrieve those files :(

erasmo85

Post by erasmo85 »

I think I was wrong, I have installed a 32-bit version of Ubuntu. I tried to run the executable without the sudo command and I get a "Exec format error", which led me to check the 'bit' version of the file. The 'file' command gave me:

ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=651e01fe3d5be6ff003977729e62e91ebd3390e6, stripped

Basically a 64-bit executable. Could it be that we have an incompatibility error between architectures?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the updates! If player.log isn't being created at all, it really does sound like the build is failing to launch entirely.

The build is x86_x64, so should work on both platforms. But I've only tested on Ubuntu 14 & 15 - not 16 Mate. I'll download the 32&64 bit distros to spin up in a VM and see if I can reproduce issue.

erasmo85

Post by erasmo85 »

Interkarma wrote:Thanks for the updates! If player.log isn't being created at all, it really does sound like the build is failing to launch entirely.

The build is x86_x64, so should work on both platforms. But I've only tested on Ubuntu 14 & 15 - not 16 Mate. I'll download the 32&64 bit distros to spin up in a VM and see if I can reproduce issue.
Thanks a lot :)