Testing Full Project On Git

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Testing Full Project On Git

Post by Interkarma »

Hi All,

I'm experimenting with hosting full Daggerfall Unity project on git. This has a few major advantages to the tools-only approach I've used until now.
  • Easier to get started. New developers/modders can clone a fully configured project with all tags/layers/lighting and other config.
  • More builds. I can use Unity Cloud Build to automate unstable test builds more regularly than at present.
  • More consistent. Developers and contributors can always be on the same page for both code and project.
  • Users and developers can check out changes on a daily or weekly basis to play with features as they are being developed. This could lead to catching problems a little earlier.
There are a couple of unknowns however.
  • Difference in Unity licenses. I'm creating project with Unity Pro. Will contributors on Unity Personal/Plus experience issues with cloning and opening project?
  • Difference in Unity versions. Will active contributors need to strictly use identical versions, especially if project changes are being checked in? Code-only changes should generally be OK.
If you would like to play with the full project and offer feedback, here's the process.
  1. Obtain Unity. Currently the project is maintained in Unity 5.3.5f1.
  2. Clone the repository to a clean new folder using your git client of choice.
  3. Open scene Assets/daggerfall-unity/Game/Scenes/DaggerfallUnityStartup
If you've played Daggerfall Unity since 0.2 the startup should automatically pick up your existing Daggerfall path, .INI file, etc. Otherwise just setup as per usual.

If you're more of a game tester than a code tester, I should have something for you soon once I've worked through automating with Cloud Build.

Thank you for testing. :)

Narf the Mouse

Re: Testing Full Project On Git

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hmm...Probably a good idea. I shall sync about this.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

...How long should it take to build?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Usually a few minutes on first build. Subsequent builds should be faster.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Usually a few minutes on first build. Subsequent builds should be faster.
Hmm...Something has definitely gone wrong, then.

Cloned the project, loaded it up, started it in Unity using the Game/*Startup.scene, loaded a save, wandered around, tried to enter a dungeon (unsuccessfully; couldn't find the key. Either that, or dungeons aren't in yet), wandered around a bit more, brought up the game menu, hit "exit game", noted that I should tell you that "Application.isPlaying = false;" will let you exit a game in the Editor, hit the stop button, looked in the game directory for a readme (didn't find one), went to the Build Settings, told it to build.

It's definitely doing some sort of processing, but it's probably stuck in a loop.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Potentially useful information:
  • Your operating system, architecture, and service pack level.
  • Your Unity version.
Cheers. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Potentially useful information:
  • Your operating system, architecture, and service pack level.
  • Your Unity version.
Cheers. :)
Windows 10, 64-bit, winver says "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.494).
The 20th of May, 2016 5.3.5 version.

Tried again and I've got a build now.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome, thank you. We have basically identical setups, right down to the build numbers. Not sure what went wrong before. :?

Also not sure about the dungeon issue. This is technically an unstable version as I'm in the middle of completing serialization and loot generation. So probably an exception of some kind during dungeon build. Should be right for 0.3 release.

And thanks for the tip on "Application.isPlaying = false". When in-editor, I generally stop playing with Ctrl+P. You're right though, I should make that button work as expected in editor also.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Awesome, thank you. We have basically identical setups, right down to the build numbers. Not sure what went wrong before. :?

Also not sure about the dungeon issue. This is technically an unstable version as I'm in the middle of completing serialization and loot generation. So probably an exception of some kind during dungeon build. Should be right for 0.3 release.

And thanks for the tip on "Application.isPlaying = false". When in-editor, I generally stop playing with Ctrl+P. You're right though, I should make that button work as expected in editor also.
For future reference, and just to check that it got pressed, what is the button for entering dungeons?

Edit: It might have something to do with running a virus-scan at full CPU load with some torrents running in the background.

In which case, no problem with your code, heh. Just figured I should post it here, regardless.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

just click the dungeon entrance when you are near to it (activation range is pretty short)