Some basic questions about the engine/game.

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
GingerHunter797

Some basic questions about the engine/game.

Post by GingerHunter797 »

Hi, I have some questions regarding the engine and would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide some answers. thanks!

My first question is, are the graphics going to be redone. Like modern graphics? I would love to see a full 3D version of Daggerfall! If not full 3D are they at least going to be updated?

My second question is about the install. If I have read things correctly I need to have an existing Daggerfall install to use this. I currently have The Elder Scrolls Anthology, which comes with a Daggerfall disk with integrated DOSbox and is optimised for modern PC's. Would this work, or would I have to go to their website and install it using dosbox? There is also an installer at this website http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?ti ... llSetup_EN would that also work? I dont currently have Daggerfall installed on my PC so if someone could tell me which one works the best I would really appreciate it.

I would also like to know if there is going to be multiplayer support. I think I remember another project like this that was going to add multiplayer and was wondering if there was going to be multiplayer in this game as well.

Another question I have is are the developers going to be adding features to the original game? If so does anyone know what features they plan on adding in the future?

I was also wondering about the system requirements I have an Intel Pentium N3540 with integrated Intel HD graphics(64mb of dedicated video ram), 4GB of RAM, and 64 bit windows 10 Home. Would those specs be alright to run this at low settings?

One last thing, I know developers get irritated when people are always asking when the game is going to be released, but would anyone happen to know how soon this is going to come out of beta/alpha?

I think thats all I can think of for now, thanks to anyone who replies. Really looking forward to playing this! :D
“In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. And even though it’s a virtual world, I feel more alive in here than I ever did in the real world.”-Kirito

Interkarma

Re: Some basic questions about the engine/game.

Post by Interkarma »

GingerHunter797 wrote: Hi, I have some questions regarding the engine and would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide some answers. thanks!
Hey, welcome to the forums. :) I'm the creator of Daggerfall Unity, and I'm happy to answer as best possible.
GingerHunter797 wrote:My first question is, are the graphics going to be redone. Like modern graphics? I would love to see a full 3D version of Daggerfall! If not full 3D are they at least going to be updated?
My mission is to create a playable version of Daggerfall in Unity with light enhancements and quality of life features, and provide a scaffold for future improvements. I do not plan to update the graphics besides the automatic benefits of running in a modern engine.

However, that bit about "scaffold for future improvements" is important. As the project is open source and includes an early modding system, the potential exists for the community to add graphical enhancements later. But it's not one of my personal objectives.
GingerHunter797 wrote: My second question is about the install. If I have read things correctly I need to have an existing Daggerfall install to use this.
Correct, Daggerfall Unity runs on top of an existing Daggerfall install (or at least a copy of the game files). The Live Builds page makes some recommendations under heading "Getting Daggerfall". Your Anthology version should work, but you might need to copy the *.VID files into the Arena2 folder. My recommendation is DaggerfallSetup, which you linked.
GingerHunter797 wrote: I would also like to know if there is going to be multiplayer support. I think I remember another project like this that was going to add multiplayer and was wondering if there was going to be multiplayer in this game as well.
Daggerfall is a single-player game and this is not planned. Lypyl created a multiplayer demo with Daggerfall Tools for Unity a while back, so this kind of thing is not impossible from a tech point of view, but it would require a substantial overhaul of game systems and design. Again, it's not one of my objectives.
GingerHunter797 wrote: Another question I have is are the developers going to be adding features to the original game? If so does anyone know what features they plan on adding in the future?
Light enhancements and quality of life features only. But it's an open platform, who knows what people will add in the future.
GingerHunter797 wrote: I was also wondering about the system requirements I have an Intel Pentium N3540 with integrated Intel HD graphics(64mb of dedicated video ram), 4GB of RAM, and 64 bit windows 10 Home. Would those specs be alright to run this at low settings?
You don't meet the minimum specs, I'm sorry. Check the manual for more information on minimum and recommended specs. Your CPU will probably be OK, but the GPU is going to struggle. If you do try it, make sure to leave all the mods disabled and drop the resolution down a notch. For example, if your monitor is 1080p, try setting resolution to 720p to take some load off the GPU. Let me know how you go.
GingerHunter797 wrote: One last thing, I know developers get irritated when people are always asking when the game is going to be released, but would anyone happen to know how soon this is going to come out of beta/alpha?
Daggerfall Unity is still firmly in pre-alpha and won't reach beta for a while. Keep an eye on the Roadmap page to see which feature groups are coming up.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Please feel free to ask if you have any more. :)