Acute Hearing

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
lostminstrel

Acute Hearing

Post by lostminstrel »

Hello forum. This is my first post here. I've been away form Daggerfall for a while, and happened to stumble upon mentions of Daggerfall Unity on UESP. I read up on it, and have to say it seems very promising!

One thing I saw on UESP was that Acute Hearing's benefits were not evident. I was surprised by this, because I always thought Acute Hearing was VERY beneficial! I never thought it had anything to do with how far away you could hear monster noises - i.e. how far monsters were before you could hear the game making their noises. That's lame anyway.

Rather, Acute Hearing caused you to "wake up" when resting in a dangerous area before the monster (or human enemy!) reached you. I've tested this somewhat myself on plain old Daggerfall, but perhaps it should be verified.

What I found was a character without Acute Hearing will sometimes just die in their sleep when sleeping in a dungeon or near a cemetery, from backstabs, or spells, or some such. This is because the "There are enemies nearby" message does not wake them up. A character WITH the Acute Hearing ability does get this message. They also wake up with the enemy further away than a character without Acute Hearing.

Just sharing my experience with the skill from years ago, because I feel this was the real intention of the skill, and would feel like I miss my old Acute Hearing in Daggerfall Unity.

Ralzar

Re: Acute Hearing

Post by Ralzar »

lostminstrel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:01 am What I found was a character without Acute Hearing will sometimes just die in their sleep when sleeping in a dungeon or near a cemetery, from backstabs, or spells, or some such. This is because the "There are enemies nearby" message does not wake them up. A character WITH the Acute Hearing ability does get this message. They also wake up with the enemy further away than a character without Acute Hearing.
I have litterally never seen this happen? This honestly sounds like a bug in your end. The only way you "die in your sleep" is if you collapse from exhaustion somewhere where there are monsters nearby.

theJF

Post by theJF »

"I'm not interested in your jewelry!"

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums :)
lostminstrel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:01 am Rather, Acute Hearing caused you to "wake up" when resting in a dangerous area before the monster (or human enemy!) reached you. I've tested this somewhat myself on plain old Daggerfall, but perhaps it should be verified.

What I found was a character without Acute Hearing will sometimes just die in their sleep when sleeping in a dungeon or near a cemetery, from backstabs, or spells, or some such. This is because the "There are enemies nearby" message does not wake them up. A character WITH the Acute Hearing ability does get this message. They also wake up with the enemy further away than a character without Acute Hearing.
There are a lot of ways you can die in Daggerfall, but random sleep deaths aren't one of them :lol: People can die from disease and poison while sleeping, which is probably what you're thinking of. Spontaneously getting eaten by monsters isn't a feature of Daggerfall.

If there's good evidence for monsters spawning further away while using Acute Hearing, then people can post it and we can see it. I always found they spawned at maximum distance whenever it occurred, Acute Hearing or not.

lostminstrel

Post by lostminstrel »

[/quote]
The only way you "die in your sleep" is if you collapse from exhaustion somewhere where there are monsters nearby.
[/quote]

Odd. You have never been "resting for a while" only to have a bunch of messages along the lines of "Nightblade backstabs you, Nightblade backstabs you, Nightblade backstabs you, etc." come up?

You are not "dying in your sleep", like when you rest while having a disease. You are getting KILLED (i.e. dying in a combat that started WAY too suddenly) while sleeping because you didn't wake up in time. I always found I woke up in time with Acute Hearing, and not always without it. Especially sleeping outside near a cemetery.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm super stoked to play Daggerfall again! :D

pango

Post by pango »

Never experienced that, or seen that in a stream, or heard of such thing either.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

lostminstrel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 am Odd. You have never been "resting for a while" only to have a bunch of messages along the lines of "Nightblade backstabs you, Nightblade backstabs you, Nightblade backstabs you, etc." come up?
I have literally never seen anyone backstab me. In my sleep or otherwise. And as Pnago says,: never seen any videos or heard of anyone experiencing anything like that.
There must be something wrong with your game or some mod you are using that's causing this.

Only thing I can imagine is some kind of effect where you're still in rest mode, but the game has actually started up again.

lostminstrel

Post by lostminstrel »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:51 am
lostminstrel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 am Odd. You have never been "resting for a while" only to have a bunch of messages along the lines of "Nightblade backstabs you, Nightblade backstabs you, Nightblade backstabs you, etc." come up?
I have literally never seen anyone backstab me. In my sleep or otherwise. And as Pnago says,: never seen any videos or heard of anyone experiencing anything like that.
There must be something wrong with your game or some mod you are using that's causing this.

Only thing I can imagine is some kind of effect where you're still in rest mode, but the game has actually started up again.
This could be the case. I will try to recreate this when I have time, and video it this time ;)