Contributor Demo1 - RC2

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Contributor Demo1 - RC2

Post by Interkarma »

I've uploaded RC2 of contributor demo and decided to start a new thread for feedback. Download path to self-extracting archive is below. Just extract and run .exe. ReadMe is included with archive.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... %20RC2.exe

Please let me know your thoughts and feedback on this version. Hopefully getting very close to a final demo release now.

LypyL

Re: Contributor Demo1 - RC2

Post by LypyL »

Can you make sure the Sun is set in the lighting settings? Also the readme needs to be updated w/ the travel map info.

edit: Also, if you didn't see in my PM, there is a directive at the top of the WorldTravel script for the DaggerJet - if you didn't, you should uncomment that. It will prevent the travel menu from being used will the player is in the jet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks, I've hit those two items now. Dunno how I messed up the Sun, I swear this was set earlier.

You've done an incredible amount of work here and I appreciate it very much. Would buy you several beers if I could. :D

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Interkarma wrote:Thanks, I've hit those two items now. Dunno how I messed up the Sun, I swear this was set earlier.
Oh, I'm sure you did! It seems to unset itself when it feels like it :lol: If you jump to midnight and the sky color looks duskish, you know it's not set again. You can also tell by the sun/moon rotation, they won't be quite smooth.

I haven't confirmed it yet, but it seems to use the directional light from Sunrig if the sun isn't set...IIRC correctly that stops rotating after dusk, which would explain why the sky acts like that.

In the future I might try and adjust the rotation of Key light of the Sunrig so we won't have to worry about setting the Sun parameter all the time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Updated RC2 download now. Feedback round 2. :)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

It's working like a charm for me!

edit: Nice choice for a starting location, it has quite the view!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

far terrain positioning is not working correctly
One can see this easily in jet mode
It looks like it is correct on a FloatingOrigin Update but wrong anytime else, but this is just a guess.
the performance of world loading is though impressive, have you spent some time on improving it?

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

It would be great to have a little menu pop out if you press ESC which asks you if you really want to exit the game, cause i often accidentally exit the game when i just want to leave the fast travel map. Otherwise i really love the Demo.

EDIT: This is in the readme:
Timescale
---------
– Reduce timescale (0-8 steps)
= Increase timescale (0-8 steps)
What exactly does this ? I have a idea but when i press - nothing happens.
Last edited by Daschluba on Sun May 10, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Welcome to the forums Daschluba, and thanks for the suggestion! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the demo :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote:far terrain positioning is not working correctly
One can see this easily in jet mode
It looks like it is correct on a FloatingOrigin Update but wrong anytime else, but this is just a guess.
the performance of world loading is though impressive, have you spent some time on improving it?
I've noticed it seems to lose vertical alignment occasionally, then snaps back into place when floating origin ticks. Like you said, happens mostly in the jet at altitude. I've not seen many problems at ground level though, the near/far terrains seem to overlap very nicely at the borders. Very impressive work from you guys. Let me know if you'd like me to hold up the demo for you guys to look at this issue. Overall, I think it's still a pretty awesome showcase of everyone's hard work. :)

The improved world loading is due to new method of reading ARENA2 directly from the data folder. This seems to be quite a bit faster than using Resources and .bytes method. I'm going to use this method moving forward for builds, and only use .bytes for overrides and special purpose stuff.
Daschluba wrote:It would be great to have a little menu pop out if you press ESC which asks you if you really want to exit the game, cause i often accidentally exit the game when i just want to leave the fast travel map. Otherwise i really love the Demo.

EDIT: This is in the readme:
Timescale
---------
– Reduce timescale (0-8 steps)
= Increase timescale (0-8 steps)
What exactly does this ? I have a idea but when i press - nothing happens.
Welcome to the forums Daschluba. Yeah, I've done the same thing and exited the demo when I wanted to exit travel menu. Shouldn't be hard to fix before release.

Timescale is how quickly world time passes. Hit the L key to bring up debug info, observe rate of passing time, then tap = a bunch of times to crank up the timescale. Watch how the time increases faster. This also affects the day/night cycle. For example, crank up the time scale then watch the skies and shadows. You can reduce timescale back to normal by using the - key.

This video shows timescale when it was first implemented: https://youtu.be/6qggpB8IGic