[0.10.23] Anyone else experiencing lack of casting "animation" using magic items?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Magicono43

[0.10.23] Anyone else experiencing lack of casting "animation" using magic items?

Post by Magicono43 »

Was just playing around with stuff involving spell effects and tried using magic items, which they work as I would expect, but it seems like the casting animation is not working like I recall it doing in previous versions. I'll make a proper bug report for this, but I first I want to make sure i'm not the only one experiencing this, I turned off all mods btw and am still noticing this anomaly.

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.23] Anyone else experiencing lack of casting "animation" using magic items?

Post by Interkarma »

There are intentional differences in how DFU plays feedback for spell-based item enchants. To summarise:

Classic Behaviour
  • Cast When Held (equip) : Play Sound
  • Cast When Held (reroll) : Play Sound & Casting Animation
  • Cast When Used : Play Sound & Casting Animation
DFU Behaviour
  • Cast When Held (equip) : Play Sound
  • Cast When Held (reroll) : Play Sound
  • Cast When Used : Play Sound
My goal was to make this consistent for all item-based spells compared to classic. Note that classic doesn't play casting animations on equip, but does when rerolling effects for some reason. It will play casting animations for When Used spells, but even does that for potions which doesn't make sense. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the hands to animate at all when it's actually the item casting the spell (not the player). This has always seemed incongruous to me and looks like a side-effect of how spells are handled internally more than intended behaviour.

In DFU, I set this behaviour to be consistent for all Held / Used item-based spells. The item casts the spell, and you'll hear audible feedback, but player's hand don't animate. This is how it's been from the start though, not something that's changed recently.

Magicono43

Re: [0.10.23] Anyone else experiencing lack of casting "animation" using magic items?

Post by Magicono43 »

Interesting, in that case I think the difference that i'm experiencing is that the feedback sound is not playing when using magic items now then. The effects that the item casts are working fine, but when I use the item from the "Use Magic Item" scroll menu, I don't hear any sound at all. When I consume a potion or something from the same menu though, the magic casting sound does play as I would expect.

Edit: The reason I said animation specifically is that I for some reason assumed they were tied together in some way. But yeah, the strange thing is just the missing casting sound when using magic items.