New to the game. Need help.

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Talyn82

New to the game. Need help.

Post by Talyn82 »

I just started playing this excellent game with Unity, and always heard great things about it. I have a few questions. Although I am new to the game I am not new to The Elder Scrolls series. I started with Morrowind (My favorite for now unless Daggerfall changes my mind) all the way to Skyrim which I also enjoy for rp reasons. Before I start I just want to say the city of Daggerfall is huge!

1) I am still low level how can I easily defeat humans and skeletons in the tutorial dungeon?

2) I joined the Knightly Order of Julianos. But I've only done two quests for the commoners, and when I go to the order to receive my first quest they talk down to me, and say things like they don't want to talk to me. When I first joined they were all friendly but now they despise me. How can I fix this?

3) When doing random quests for the commoners, I always forget where the quest giver is located. For example a tavern wench wanted me to kill some assassins that have been threatening her at her home. I killed the assassin but now I don't know from which tavern the wench was in. Also when I went I did find her by checking every tavern. She would not talk to me. By this I mean the quest complete message would not appear. Is there a way to remedy this?

4) Also I am using a custom class and I set my reputation with the nobility to max positive, and three negative points for commoners. Could the reason why the Knightly Order hates me is because I did quests for the commoners? I also met with the woman who I received a letter from for the main quest. Could that also be another reason why they hate me?

5) I don't mind starting over but what are some good custom classes? My current character has a custom class called Knight-Commander. He is a Breton that focuses on martial skills and the only school of magic he knows is Restoration. What are some good builds?

Ralzar

Re: New to the game. Need help.

Post by Ralzar »

Wecome!

Hah, there's a bit to unpack here.
Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am 1) I am still low level how can I easily defeat humans and skeletons in the tutorial dungeon?
Depends on your class really. I generally just hit them until they die. That said, skeletons are hard for starting characters. With several of my characters I have had to flee from the skeleton in Privateers Hold. Also, if you are quick, you can keep moving backwards while fighitng to avoid hits.

Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am 2) I joined the Knightly Order of Julianos. But I've only done two quests for the commoners, and when I go to the order to receive my first quest they talk down to me, and say things like they don't want to talk to me. When I first joined they were all friendly but now they despise me. How can I fix this?
There's just the Orrder Of Julianos. You can't join the knightly order. We're hoping to add temple knightly orders inn through modding at some point. Open your character sheet and click "Affiliations" to see what organisations you are member of and how much they like you.
To get a quests for your organization, find the NPC in the building that has a special menu there is an option to "Get Quest".

Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am 3) When doing random quests for the commoners, I always forget where the quest giver is located. For example a tavern wench wanted me to kill some assassins that have been threatening her at her home. I killed the assassin but now I don't know from which tavern the wench was in. Also when I went I did find her by checking every tavern. She would not talk to me. By this I mean the quest complete message would not appear. Is there a way to remedy this?
It says who gave you the quest in your logbook. Like "Beladynna Hawkcroft in the Black Dragon, Holshome has asked me to go to the Ruins of Hawksmith to kill some orcs". So you know when you're finished you need to go to Holsholme, find The Black Dragon and talk to Beladynna.
Note that if you are in the right town, if you talk to people on the street you can ask them about "People" where the questgivers naem will appear and they will give you directions. If they like you.
Note: commoners prefer to be talked to in "Blunt" and hates "Polite". But Blunt is based on your Streetwize skill, so if that's really low, just go with "Normal".

Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am 4) Also I am using a custom class and I set my reputation with the nobility to max positive, and three negative points for commoners. Could the reason why the Knightly Order hates me is because I did quests for the commoners? I also met with the woman who I received a letter from for the main quest. Could that also be another reason why they hate me?
Hard to say why they hate you. But note that only nobles are nobility. The people in temples are probably scholars or commoners.

Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am 5) I don't mind starting over but what are some good custom classes? My current character has a custom class called Knight-Commander. He is a Breton that focuses on martial skills and the only school of magic he knows is Restoration. What are some good builds?
That actually sounds like a pretty alright build. Some general build advice:

1: Choose one weapon type (just choose what you like, they're all good) and set that as your Primary Skill.
2: If you're doing a lot of melee fighting, you'll probably want Critical Strike and Dodging high up in your skills.
3: If you want to use any kind of magic, you should take one of the "Increased Magery" advantages.
4: Do not let any stats be complete dump-stats. Just keep them all in the 40-60 range.
5: If you have personality under 50, getting people to tell you where shops and people are will be harder.
6: IMPORTANT: Keep an eye on the difficulty dagger. This should be in the middle or below or you will level up really, really slowly.
7: Be creative and have fun. A lot of players do a bunch of min-max stuff to make the "correct" character. But that is not needed. Unless your character is extremely bad, he will work out fine once he levels up a bit.

At the end here I just want to mention that although Daggerfall is a very impressive game. It's also a very unfinished game. The more you play it, the more you run into frustrating faults in the game where the developers either made some really, really weird decisions or simply did not have the time implement it.
This is all being fixed by mods. There is a small but very dedicated modding community here which keeps hacking away at all the problem areas of this game to realize the potential the game never could live up to. So once you've got a feel for the game I would strongly reccommend looking into all the game mechanics mods that have been added.

Here's the modlist I currently use:
viewtopic.php?p=43888#p43888
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Talyn82

Post by Talyn82 »

That was a really helpful reply. Like I said I am enjoying the game even though the city of Daggerfall is huge! So many taverns. But seriously I will heed your advice. I will start over again. When I created my current custom class I did not add any advantages/disadvantages. As for the quest giver. I always check the log book to see where the target npc is located and who they are. Then I ask around. My problem was once I do the quest I forget where the quest giver is located. But now thanks to your advice it should be more easier.

As for the skeletons in the tutorial dungeon. The one fighting the bat I can sneak by. But there is another I tried to run from but it followed me lol. I had to use god mode to kill it which I hate using cheats. The human enemies give me a lot of trouble too. I am only good at killing rats and bats.

I have two more questions if you don't mind. One, aside from the smith in the Order of Julianos is there anywhere I can buy weapons and armors? All the merchants I've visited only allows me to sell not buy.

Two, are the quests based on your current level? For example I am level two. Would I get quests that are easier for low levels, or would I get a mix of easy and hard quests despite my level?

As for the game being unfinished. Two of my favorite games of all time Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Knights of the Old Republic II were both released unfinished, and the fan base restored the cut content for both games. So I have no doubt I will thoroughly enjoy this game. Once I get the hang of it I will check the mods you recommended.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:20 am I have two more questions if you don't mind. One, aside from the smith in the Order of Julianos is there anywhere I can buy weapons and armors? All the merchants I've visited only allows me to sell not buy.
Hah, I see newbies do this all the time. To buy stuff, you have to look in the shop shelves. Note: each shelf has diffrent stuff.
Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:20 am Two, are the quests based on your current level? For example I am level two. Would I get quests that are easier for low levels, or would I get a mix of easy and hard quests despite my level?
The enemies that appear are based on your character level. What quests you might randomly get is based on your reputation with the group you are getting a quest from.
Talyn82 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:20 am As for the game being unfinished. Two of my favorite games of all time Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Knights of the Old Republic II were both released unfinished, and the fan base restored the cut content for both games. So I have no doubt I will thoroughly enjoy this game. Once I get the hang of it I will check the mods you recommended.
Cool :)

Btw, for a first character one thing I would reccommend is actually making a no-magic character. Just a straight up knight/warrior etc. To do this, just select the disadavtanges for unable to use magic in sunlight and unable to use magic in darkness. This will give you a lot of points to put into advantages like weapon expertise and extra HitPoints per level.
The disadvantage is obvisouly that you can't use spells, but this can be circumvented by joining a temple that has a potion seller. Then you just buy free action, levitation, water breathing, cure poison and cure disease potions.
This will give you a "cleaner" Daggerfall experience for a first try. You character will be very good in melee/archery combat and you will have to figure out how to solve stuff without relying on magic.
Oh yeah, and resistance or immunity to Paralyzation is a good idea. That effect is really prevalent in the game and is way too powerful. Enemies can freeze you for up to a minute, making it a slow death sentence.

Talyn82

Post by Talyn82 »

Another great reply. As for your suggestion of character build I will try that. As for the merchants I never thought about checking the shelves it makes sense. Now I have enough info to make a proper first character.
Thank you for all the help! 8-)

Opcero

Post by Opcero »

Its actually fine to run away from enemies in dungeons until they stop chasing you. It isn't a waste of time per se because running away levels up your running skill and usually your dodge skill as well! So you shouldn't feel the need to god-mode kill a monster as your character is developing valuable skills. Daggerfall shares a lot with the very old-school mega-dungeon Gygax era D&D where the players were not expected to 'win' every fight.

Quests: Some quests will be too hard for a low level character. Its ok to fail that quest. Yes, you'll take a slight reputation hit, but you can win that reputation back. Unlike later elderscrolls like Skyrim, the player charcter really does have to earn his reputation, quests aren't designed to always be winable.

quick tip: keep your weapon sheathed in dungeons until you need it will greatly increase your language skill ability to pacify an enemy.