Looting: Gold to Weight Ratio

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Annolis

Looting: Gold to Weight Ratio

Post by Annolis »

Have you done a dungeon crawl and find you've hit your maximum weight capacity? Ever wanted to know which items you should take and which ones you should leave? The following table has been supplied listing from the top where you will never want to leave Daedric Gauntlets behind to the lowest where you will always want to drop that Pine Branch before anything else.

I think I should explain a couple things about how this works:

In the game, 400 Gold is 1 Kilogram.
Depending on your Mercantile Skill, you will (on average) be able to sell items about 25% to 50% of the posted Sell value (the merchant haggles your price down). While it is true the higher your Mercantile gets the more money you'll make, the Sell Price appears (to me at least) a somewhat fixed amount. So, when you look at the "Value" column, you'll want to consider this amount is BEFORE you sell it to a merchant. Therefore, take a percentage of that Value (depending on your Mercantile level) before considering whether to keep or leave an item. When I did this, my Mercantile was at 41% which gave me about 60% of the Value.

You should always be selling to merchants that have "a mouse scurry's" or "sturdy shelves" upon entry. If you are, then know that the Value number you're looking for is going to be 2.5 or higher. If you have higher Mercantile, then you would want to keep items with lower Value scores over Gold. If you notice you are getting 50% of the Sell value, then you want to keep items on this list with a Value of 2.0 and higher (because 50% of 2.0 is 1.0 which is the value of Gold). If you are ever deciding to part with an item with a value higher than 2.5, consider dropping Gold instead.

First and foremost, the best way to make money is to take EVERYTHING! But if your cart is full and you are at maximum capacity, then and only then should you consult this list to know what to drop.

Within the list I placed the values of Books (Lowest, Average, and Highest), as well as high value Ingredients. I also put in the list Holy Dagger and Holy Tomb, as they are fairly high in value.

As a general rule, Shields, Cuirasses, small or heavy weapons, and most ingredients should be dropped first. Always keep Gauntlets, Greaves, Helmets, and Pauldrons before anything else WITHIN their type. Leather and Chain have the same value - Chain will get twice as much money, but are twice as heavy - as well as Ebony and Orcish have the same value for the same reason. It shouldn't come as a surprise that you'd want to drop a Dwarven Dagger to pick up Iron Gauntlets, or even drop a Dwarven Warhammer to pick up a Gorgon Snake.

Also note that it is possible to tell the difference between Elven shields and Chain Shields, but it requires a very discerning eye. There is no possible way to tell the difference between Elven and Silver Shields (if they exist) without the assistance of a merchant pricing the item.

I color coded the items, but not all items have a good color code given difficulty telling the difference (just like in the game between Chain, Silver and Elven). Do note the "Type" preceding the item.
Da - Daedric
O - Orcish
Eb - Ebony
A - Adamantium
M - Mithril
Dw - Dwarven <-- I didn't highlight the whole thing because you wouldn't be able to read it.
El - Elven
Si - Silver
St - Steel
I - Iron
C - Chain
L - Leather

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Magicono43

Re: Looting: Gold to Weight Ratio

Post by Magicono43 »

There is also this section of a page on the UESP Wiki: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Ite ... _and_Armor

Annolis

Re: Looting: Gold to Weight Ratio

Post by Annolis »

Magicono43 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:02 pm There is also this section of a page on the UESP Wiki: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Ite ... _and_Armor
I saw this, but it didn't put the items in order from most to least valuable. It also doesn't integrate Misc. items and ingredients.