I made a controller profile

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

I made a controller profile

Post by Ralzar »

Some time ago I tested out making a controller setup for DFU. This worked.. okay. The biggest problem was how bad the movement control felt, since I had to bind WSAD to the controller left stick. So I forgot about the whole thing.

But with the joystick support in DFU now, it works much better. I would just redo the layout in DFU if not for the problem that you can't seem to do key combinations?

So I pulled up my old setup and removed the movement bindings, and it worked pretty well I felt.

This is how I have it set up:

This is the normal layout:
controllerLayout1.PNG
controllerLayout1.PNG (51.1 KiB) Viewed 8445 times
I have the Right Trigger set up to spam attacks. So no need to furiously pull it over and over. Just keep the trigger pressed to keep attacking (Click To Attack must be activated in DFU)

If you keep the Left Bumper pressed, it switches to this:
controllerLayout2.PNG
controllerLayout2.PNG (51.52 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
Which is used for spellcasting and less used functions. Notice, that Right Trigger is now used for Left-Click: casting spells.

To use this setup, you need the open source software KeySticks. The software looks safe and does not have any kind of "trial" function etc as far as I can tell.

Go into your Daggerfall keybinds and click "Default" to reset the controls.

Download and use this profile I made:
DaggerfallKeySticks.zip
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Edit: Updated file. Had a few keybinds wrong.

Edit: And updated it again to make r-Trigger attack more responsive.
Last edited by Ralzar on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: I made a controller profile

Post by Interkarma »

Nice! I'm still working on my preferred controller setup too. You've given me some ideas on how to improve mine, cheers. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Cool :)

I'm hoping that at some point, we'll be able to just do this directly in DFU ;)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Updated the profile. Realized the second layout worked much better if I dropped the attack function and used that for casting spells instead.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

This is a really interesting concept with the left trigger held down.
Ralzar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 am But with the joystick support in DFU now, it works much better. I would just redo the layout in DFU if not for the problem that you can't seem to do key combinations?
I was originally thinking of just adding a designated LT+RT as its own KeyCode, but I probably could just make it more general so it can work on keyboard as well. I could plan after secondary keybinds to have a scheme for having key combinations with their own unique KeyCodes. One definite issue though is something like "JoystickAxis3Button0 + JoystickButton7" is too long for box. Maybe display "..." and add tooltips?
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Opcero

Post by Opcero »

Morrowind on the original xbox had a fairly intuitive controller scheme. "x" was unsheath weapon. "hold x" allowed you to cycle through equipment then right trigger to attack. "y" was spells and "hold y" allowed you to cycle through spells right trigger to cast. Levitation/swimming didn't require anything unique you just looked where you wanted to move and you floated in that direction.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Sunnovuh... Typed up a long reply yesterday and it's gone. Dunno if I just hit Preview and never Submitted...
jefetienne wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 pm One definite issue though is something like "JoystickAxis3Button0 + JoystickButton7" is too long for box. Maybe display "..." and add tooltips?
How hard would it be to support multiple game controllers in a single mapping? I've got two flightsticks, which gives me 6 axes and about 30 buttons ;)

If multiple joysticks are present, then you would need a number after "Joystick" as well, at which point you could easily abbreviate to "J0A3B0 + J1B7" to get it onscreen.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

DigitalMonk wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 pm
How hard would it be to support multiple game controllers in a single mapping? I've got two flightsticks, which gives me 6 axes and about 30 buttons ;)
So I've actually prevented behavior for using multiple controllers for buttons. In Unity, there are keycodes "JoystickButtonX", and they get detected regardless of controller. After those are specific buttons per controller called "JoystickYButtonX", but when I was developing controller support, I noticed that sometimes it would inconsistently change between those two types of KeyCodes, so what I did was create a method that filters them and converts "JoystickYButtonX" to "JoystickButtonX".

With axes, I made DFU in Unity settings to detect up to 16 different axes and you could probably remap them via joystick window, so I think you probably could get away with moving via flightstick and controlling camera with an Xbox controller.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Sounds like Unity borked up their controller subsystem. Not too surprising. Flight (or maybe Racing) Simulators are about the only game genre that insist on more than a game controller, so I can see how they might "forget" that some of us enjoy complicating our lives to achieve a finely optimized result :lol:

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Oh they definitely did not implement input well. I did find out though that the 2019 edition, which 0.10.25 uses, did implement a new "Input System" that apparently is much better and has easier controller detection and support. At first I felt like a lot of the accomplishments I made were for nothing, but after realizing the way the UI and input actions are designed in DFU, it probably was better writing controller support from scratch in order to better be integrated with the project after all.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub