External midi device

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Mr_Blastman

External midi device

Post by Mr_Blastman »

This project is awesome! Thank you!

I do have a question, however...

Is there any way to make the game use an external midi device? It seems to be defaulting to the internal Windows one. The reason I ask is I have a Roland Sound Canvas (SC-55) hooked up externally and would love to enjoy Daggerfall the way it was meant to be played by the original composers.

The odd thing is my midi port is the default Windows 7 device, as playing a regular midi file will output to my Sound Canvas fine. Not sure why Daggerfall Unity will not.

Interkarma

Re: External midi device

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Mr_Blastman, thank you and welcome to the forums. :)

I'm not using the internal Windows MIDI player. I needed MIDI playback to work identically across all platforms (even webplayer at the time), so Daggerfall Tools for Unity uses a software synth from C# Synth Project. I'm using the free Chorium.sf2 soundfont by openwrld. It hit the right balance of open license, small footprint, and decent-enough quality.

It is possible to use custom soundfonts with the synth, I just haven't exposed this to end user control yet. I can confirm that larger high-quality SF2s sound amazing, but they're often larger than Daggerfall Unity itself. I need to make this an option at some point so users can drop in their preference of SF2.

I'm not sure about outputting to custom MIDI hardware or how I would make this work inside Unity. It seems like it would be highly platform-dependent. Control over the soundfont used would probably satisfy the majority of players.