Retro Rendering mode for modern resolutions?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

Retro Rendering mode for modern resolutions?

Post by Ralzar »

I frankly love the retro rendering 640x400 + palettization look.

However, this sets the resolution to 640, obviously, which squishes the image to fit my 3440x1440 screen.
Setting the game to actually use a 4:3 resolution is just painful in how small and square it makes the game.

Would there be some way to achieve the low-rez effect without making the image actually 640x400 ?

Interkarma

Re: Retro Rendering mode for modern resolutions?

Post by Interkarma »

It doesn't sound like you have Retro Rendering configured properly, this shouldn't be small and square and already works with modern resolutions. All of the following settings are required:
  1. Game resolution set to exactly 1600x1200 or 1280x960, depending on monitor capabilities
  2. Fullscreen=True
  3. ExclusiveFullscreen=False
  4. FreeScaling=True
  5. RetroRenderingMode=1 (or 2)
The key here is that classic Daggerfall was a mode13h 320x200 game (16:10) being presented to 320x240 resolution (4:3), so the render was stretched 20% vertically. To recreate this environment properly on modern displays, we need to render at one resolution and present to another at correct multiples.

A longer breakdown with settings.ini to copy paste into game are in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27550#p27550

Let me know if you come unstuck anywhere and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ah right I think I slightly mis-represented my problem because my problem is the 4:3 format. What I was hoping for was a way to get the look of the settings you posted above, but for widescreen (or ultra widescreen in my case).

If I do the settings above, but use the resolution I actually want, 3440x1440, the graphics not surprisingly gets squished.

So I've got either this:
ultrawide.png
ultrawide.png (309.2 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
or this :D
retro.png
retro.png (149.58 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

Where what I'm hoping for is this, but not squished in height.
wideretro.png
wideretro.png (214 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I see - you'd like ultrawide retro-like mode without pillarbox bars while retaining correct aspect of objects. Hmm. I'll try and unpack this one a bit and why this is more difficult to do. :)

What we have now isn't just a retro "look", but genuinely rendering the game into a classic 320x200 framebuffer then scaling to fit modern displays at correct multipliers. This paradigm is also fully compatible with classic assets. For your scenario, a different set of solutions would need to be implemented and new assets created.

To understand what I mean, consider most weapon animations. These are drawn to fit perfectly into a 320x200 area (or an exact multiple of). They are clipped on three sides (left/right/bottom) where the artist expected them to meet edges of display. These animations cannot be naively rescaled to have both perfect aspect and fit the width of a widescreen display, as they aren't complete images. They can either be drawn into the correct scale framebuffer or they can be stretched, there's no other option.

So to fully support a retro look in your environment would also require new assets to be drawn in the same style that aren't clipped to a fixed aspect, allowing them to be rescaled at various resolutions. That unfortunately lands a bit outside of the scope and conflicts with my foundation goal of using classic art assets only. But given how active this community is, I wouldn't be surprised if someone mods this capability in someday with new assets to match.

newsorpigal

Post by newsorpigal »

Could the rendering option be provided by DF Unity, while widescreen modifications to art assets could be left to modders? This is what happened with Doom source ports - the widescreen (and retro rendering) options were provided by the ports, and modders who noticed the asset cutoff issue (for instance, in Doom's punching animation) corrected them. Now I think some of those mods are packaged with some ports.

I think given the choice of constant black bars or occasionally incomplete centered weapon sprites, many people would choose the latter.