Hi! And - main download version obsolete?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mikeprichard

Hi! And - main download version obsolete?

Post by mikeprichard »

First, let me say how excited I am about this project! Daggerfall was the first PC RPG I remember playing, and seeing the potential for a modernized version of the game that not only plays more smoothly and without the bugs, but also adds incredible new UI, graphics, sound, and other features as well as flexible modability has me hyped. I was following DaggerXL/XLEngine for a couple years on and off, but like many others, I've recently given up on that project and migrated over here. Going open source is the only way a project like this will flourish, which is proven practically every week as incredible new work is showcased by Interkarma and other very talented folks. So, after a few months lurking on the forums - hi! :D

I do have one question for Interkarma; apologies if it's been answered elsewhere. I noticed in the Daggerfall Unity "Roadmap" and news posts that version 0.3 seems to have been completed last fall, with work gradually progressing on the quest components under version 0.4. However, the current "stable" build download (accessible from the top menu via Projects -> Daggerfall Unity or Downloads -> Daggerfall Unity) is still only at version 0.2.9 (9 April 2016). I know I can download the current builds from the Live Builds page, but just wanted to confirm - is version 0.3 really feature complete and you simply forgot to update the "stable" build download page? Or is there a particular reason why version 0.3 is still considered not yet ready for prime time?

Can't wait to see more amazing progress in the coming months - thanks to all contributors for sharing your hard work on the forums. Cheers!

kingOfWyrms

Re: Hi! And - main download version obsolete?

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Mike wrote:I do have one question for Interkarma; apologies if it's been answered elsewhere. I noticed in the Daggerfall Unity "Roadmap" and news posts that version 0.3 seems to have been completed last fall, with work gradually progressing on the quest components under version 0.4. However, the current "stable" build download (accessible from the top menu via Projects -> Daggerfall Unity or Downloads -> Daggerfall Unity) is still only at version 0.2.9 (9 April 2016). I know I can download the current builds from the Live Builds page, but just wanted to confirm - is version 0.3 really feature complete and you simply forgot to update the "stable" build download page? Or is there a particular reason why version 0.3 is still considered not yet ready for prime time?
I KNEW this would happen! :lol: In all seriousness, I asked this question a few months ago, and the answer is he just hasn't gotten around to updating the site. 0.3 is the latest stable version. His answer here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388

Don't let that deter you from using anything more recent though. Interkarma can always use more bug reports for the recent versions, and the mods TheLacus is cooking up currently are so bleeding edge not even the latest Live Build can run them. If you're interested in said mods, you'd have to run the latest version of DFTFU in the Unity editor, but it'd be easiest just to wait until the next Live Build instead.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Mike, welcome to the forums! :)

kingOfWyrms is right, I just haven't updated that landing page yet. You can download latest build from the Live Builds page. Stable 0.3 is at bottom of page below the more updated builds.

I've put in a redirect for Daggerfall Unity landing page to Live Builds page now. Hopefully that will help clear up any confusion until I work out what I want the new landing page to do now Live Builds are along.

I'm also updating live builds now with all of TheLacus' latest updates (edit: builds updated).

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thank you both for the welcome and quick replies! A humble suggestion for arranging the site going forward - you might consider merging everything in the current "Projects" and "Downloads" sections together into one single section, with one sub-section for each of the projects (i.e. DF Unity, DFTFU, Imaging 2, Modelling, and Old Tools) - a couple pages are redundant to each other between the two current sections anyway. For Unity, maybe the "Roadmap" info could be placed on the same page as the download links, below the links, with a wiki-style table of contents at the top of the page; the same could be done e.g. for the "Features" and "Tutorials" sub-items for DFTFU on a new combined DFTFU page. Just my two cents'.

See you on the forums!