Do passive enchantments still cause durability loss?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Guy_Duderson

Do passive enchantments still cause durability loss?

Post by Guy_Duderson »

I remember this being a thing when I played earlier, and it not being how that's supposed to be. I've tried looking through the changelogs for recent updates but didn't see anything related to it. So I'll just ask here. Do passive enchantments still cause durability loss in the current build? (By passive I mean ones like enhances skill, increased/decreased weight, and stuff like that. Not cast while held)

Edit: Mainly I just want to know if I'll be able to do something like enchant a robe to give extra spellpoints without it going from new to disintegrating within a few ingame hours of wearing it just walking around town. Maybe even without starting a new game in the latest version and progressing through the mages guild to the point I can enchant equipment just to test this if someone who already knows can tell me.

King of Worms

Re: Do passive enchantments still cause durability loss?

Post by King of Worms »

Not sure but u can repare magic items. And the total disintegration is gone most likely.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Passive enchantments like Enhances Skill, Improves Talents, Vampiric Effect, etc. don't contribute to item durability loss. Only active spell-based effects from Cast When Held/Used/Strikes cause active durability loss for equipping / operating item.

The passive enchantments have never caused durability loss. Up until around Alpha, the Cast When Held/Used/Strikes didn't either. This was implemented to match classic after a lot of research and reverse engineering (and a couple of bug fixes along the way). Of course, pairing passive enchants with active enchants will cause durability loss as per active enchants. Normal wear and tear will degrade item also.

By default, magic items will break and disappear when durability reaches 0. If you enable magic repair in settings, the item will just become "broken" and sits in your inventory until you repair it. You can repair via a smithy or stacking Repairs Objects enchants around your gear. This enchant is brilliant, it keeps everything in top-top shape even while you sleep.

Guy_Duderson

Post by Guy_Duderson »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:42 am Passive enchantments like Enhances Skill, Improves Talents, Vampiric Effect, etc. don't contribute to item durability loss. Only active spell-based effects from Cast When Held/Used/Strikes cause active durability loss for equipping / operating item.

The passive enchantments have never caused durability loss. Up until around Alpha, the Cast When Held/Used/Strikes didn't either. This was implemented to match classic after a lot of research and reverse engineering (and a couple of bug fixes along the way). Of course, pairing passive enchants with active enchants will cause durability loss as per active enchants. Normal wear and tear will degrade item also.

By default, magic items will break and disappear when durability reaches 0. If you enable magic repair in settings, the item will just become "broken" and sits in your inventory until you repair it. You can repair via a smithy or stacking Repairs Objects enchants around your gear. This enchant is brilliant, it keeps everything in top-top shape even while you sleep.
Thanks, I was thinking of getting back into the game and wanted to make sure ongoing durability loss only happened with spell based enchantments. Looks like I'm good to go on it.