how do i start the main quest?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Daniel

how do i start the main quest?

Post by Daniel »

i saw that you managed to make the main quest popup but when i create a new character with the last 2 builds for windows it doesnt pop up

Interkarma

Re: how do i start the main quest?

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Daniel! Quest system is coming together in small stages. If I had to put some figures on it right now, I'd say we're around 20-30% through the total number of things needed for quests to be mostly playable. So we're unfortunately a while away from being able to start and play through main quest.

What's coming together right now is the core of the quest engine. Parsing scripts, tracking time, selecting quest locations, running tasks, checking conditions, text management, displaying popups, saving state, and so on. It's rigorous, boring, and difficult to show progress. Even though not much seems to be happening in most recent builds, the quest engine is actually spinning away under the hood. Just some gears are missing so I don't let you push the throttle yet. :)

I'm working towards a new stable release now with the raw guts of quest system in place. This will be the testing ground for remaining span of 0.4 cycle. By the time 0.4 is done, we should be able to run through most of main quest as a non magic-user with some limitations.

I'm also working on some quest-related stuff for testers I haven't shown off yet. Hopefully I can put up a new devblog post soon with more.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

I wait your new devblog too! Nothing is boring, your work is awesome and intersting to see how much progress you make :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I can't wait for the new stable to start testing quests, no matter how bare-bones it is. I feel like...
I HAVE to test. All the time. Or I get this... this ITCH. It must be hardwired into the system or something. Oh! But when I DO test... ohhhhh, man alive! Nothing feels better. It's just... why I've gotta test, I've gotta test!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Biboran wrote:I wait your new devblog too! Nothing is boring, your work is awesome and intersting to see how much progress you make :D
Cheers. I keep forgetting many people love the development process itself, even the twisted parts that give me headaches. Tell you what - I'll write up an article about my experiences working through the "place" quest resource and mapping building names back down to scene level. There are many questions still unanswered around this, and it put me about 6 weeks behind where I wanted to be right now. It should make for an interesting story, even without much actual progress by the end of it. I'll try to have that up in a few days. :)

Jay_H wrote:I can't wait for the new stable to start testing quests, no matter how bare-bones it is. I feel like...
I HAVE to test. All the time. Or I get this... this ITCH. It must be hardwired into the system or something. Oh! But when I DO test... ohhhhh, man alive! Nothing feels better. It's just... why I've gotta test, I've gotta test!
Awesome! :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:Cheers. I keep forgetting many people love the development process itself, even the twisted parts that give me headaches. Tell you what - I'll write up an article about my experiences working through the "place" quest resource and mapping building names back down to scene level. There are many questions still unanswered around this, and it put me about 6 weeks behind where I wanted to be right now. It should make for an interesting story, even without much actual progress by the end of it. I'll try to have that up in a few days. :)
Please do! (But no rush ;))