finding dragonlings

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Regnier

finding dragonlings

Post by Regnier »

ive been trying to hunt dragonlings in dungeons but havent been finding any. Maybe a mod changes the spawns for the dungeon i was looking in, but

Is there a reliable way to hunt dragonlings?

Madae

Re: finding dragonlings

Post by Madae »

I can't remember ever fighting a dragonling in a dungeon... I don't know for certain, maybe they do spawn there occasionally. I almost always find them out in the wild. Just run away sufficiently far from any graveyard or whatever and just rest until you get one.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Regnier wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:49 am ive been trying to hunt dragonlings in dungeons but havent been finding any. Maybe a mod changes the spawns for the dungeon i was looking in, but

Is there a reliable way to hunt dragonlings?
Get a protect dragnolings quest from knights, maybe?
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

pango

Post by pango »

Finding a dragonling was a personal conduct/goal for a character of TalonHatesNames, so we already looked into that, and the fact is that you only encounter dragonlings in dungeons at very high character level compared to outdoors:

Code: Select all

Desecrated Temple slot 18 => char level 15
Natural Cave slot 18 => char level 15
Giant Stronghold slot 17 => char level 14

Desert day slot 5 => char level 1
Desert night slot 19 => char level 16
Mountain night slot 7 => char level 4
Subtropical day slot 6 => char level 3
Swarm day slot 5 => char level level 1
Swarm night slot 7 => char level 4
Haunted woodlands day slot 6 => char level 3
Haunted woodlands night slot 6 => char level 3
References:
Random encounter tables: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ers.cs#L30
Map of slots probability depending on character level: viewtopic.php?p=34974#p34974
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

pango wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 am Finding a dragonling was a personal conduct/goal for a character of TalonHatesNames, so we already looked into that, and the fact is that you only encounter dragonlings in dungeons at very high character level compared to outdoors:

Desecrated Temple slot 18 => char level 15
Natural Cave slot 18 => char level 15
Giant Stronghold slot 17 => char level 14

Desert day slot 5 => char level 1
Desert night slot 19 => char level 16
Mountain night slot 7 => char level 4
Subtropical day slot 6 => char level 3
Swarm day slot 5 => char level level 1
Swarm night slot 7 => char level 4
Haunted woodlands day slot 6 => char level 3
Haunted woodlands night slot 6 => char level 3
References:
Random encounter tables: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ers.cs#L30
Map of slots probability depending on character level: viewtopic.php?p=34974#p34974
thanks for this, i am level 21 and i was looking in Giant Strongholds (chosen based on UESP monster tables). cleared 3 and only got giants and tigers.
I realized after that this is probably different now, based on mods and other settings

I guess i should go to the desert or woodlands and make camp?

Thanks, just doing some soul trapping lol

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Just thinking about this a little more, this could be a guild unto itself, or at least a bunch of quests.

Hunters Guild or some variation thereof. May end up being pointless as a guild but added quests for the different factions.

Hunt such and such monster, soul trap it and return, or you can continue the quest to make a magic item for a person.

This is obviously a mages guild quest, but mages are overloaded as is IMO so it could be shuffled to other relevant guilds, or just a faction quest.

Down the road this could be the extent of language skills enabling you to convince an enemy to be bound without killing it (maybe without the disadvantages?)

Just thinking out loud here.

pango

Post by pango »

Regnier wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:03 pm thanks for this, i am level 21 and i was looking in Giant Strongholds (chosen based on UESP monster tables). cleared 3 and only got giants and tigers. [...]
I guess i should go to the desert or woodlands and make camp?
Character levels above 20 are handled like level 20, and if you look at probability map you get a minimum level for some slot to have some significant probability of spawning, but also a maximum level (starting with character level 6 there's a small chance of any slot to appear, but it's very low).

So at your level you shouldn't find dragonlings outdoors, except maybe in the desert at night:

Desecrated Temple slot 18 => char level 15+
Natural Cave slot 18 => char level 15+
Giant Stronghold slot 17 => char level 14+

Desert day slot 5 => char level 1~8
Desert night slot 19 => char level 16+
Mountain night slot 7 => char level 4~10
Subtropical day slot 6 => char level 3~9
Swarm day slot 5 => char level level 1~8
Swarm night slot 7 => char level 4~10
Haunted woodlands day slot 6 => char level 3~9
Haunted woodlands night slot 6 => char level 3~9
In dungeons, there's some luck involved, as a selection of enemies is picked out of the possible slots when you enter. So what you can do is enter say one of your giant strongholds, look around for the selection of enemies you find, and if you find no dragonlings exit and reenter to get another roll.

By the way this all assumes you don't have "alternate random enemies selection" enabled in the options, and that no mods replaces one of the involved classic Daggerfall game logics...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I distinctly remember running into Dragonlings in at least one dungeon in the Betony demo as a rather low-level char (like level 5-7). I guess the code has been changed since then? (the demo is based on something like revision 1.01.175 of the game)