WebGL Proof of Concept

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

WebGL Proof of Concept

Post by Interkarma »

With Chrome deprecating NPAPI, WebGL is now our best bet for web builds moving forward. It would also mean an end to requiring a platform-specific client other than a compatible web browser. How cool is that?

As part of the 1.3 update, I'm getting in early (like really early) WebGL support for you guys. This is actually a lot more work than you would think. Complete WebGL support requires a tidy upgrade to DFTFU's content loading systems before huge procedural scenes are possible. The build feature is also technically still in beta within Unity itself, so a few things are quirky and performance isn't what it could be.

Anyway, I have a WebGL proof of concept for you guys to play with. This is very similar to my first WebPlayer demo last year where all you could do was wander around the city of Daggerfall a bit.

Click here for the WebGL proof-of-concept demo.

This is obviously a step down from previous demos. Procedural loading is missing (so no interiors or world outside the city), no sky, and there are a few texture issues due to the new material system only being half-finished. All the same, it's a fascinating glimpse into what could be possible.