Question about Old Fan Made Quests

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Gudadantza

Question about Old Fan Made Quests

Post by Gudadantza »

Hi All, I am new but I am interested in the Project long ago reading the fórums and testing the builds and I can say I see the Project on rails and great.

My question is about those missions that were created time ago and now are added into the popular Daggerfallsetup.

I use the GOG Daggerfall version to be detected in Daggerfall unity for the sake of safeness. So, for now I have two versions of Daggerfall installed, the GOG version and the Daggerfallsetup version, in the last one I have not installed mods like eye of argonia or some of them that could apparently be incompatible or glitchy with Daggerfall unity, I just have the whole official and unofficial set of missions.

My question is how Unity detects that set of missions. Are they compatible or safe? Do they run directly without modification?
I make that question because I know the original missions are debugged and I guess they run from the Unity folder.

And one more thing. Just a petition or two. No idea how much work could it be, but the movement behaviour in the original (head movement) should be great to be implemented during this stage of DaggerfallUnity.
And finally, for testing the combat properly, the implementation of some properties and statistics of non magic weapons could be amazing. Now the real combat and enemies are implemented but I have the feeling something is lacking...:)

Greetings and Keep the amazing work!

Interkarma

Re: Question about Old Fan Made Quests

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Gudadantza, welcome to the forums. :)

All quests (including CompUSA quests) were decompiled on my side from fully patched QBN/QRC files to a plain-text script format. You will find live quest scripts in the StreamingAssets/Quests folder of your Daggerfall Unity data. I don't use the binary QBN/QRC files in player's Arena2 folder at all.

These plain-text quest scripts are JIT compiled at the moment they are executed by Daggerfall Unity's QuestMachine. This allows quest authors to script and test entirely new quests using only a text editor like Notepad while the game is running. Being open source, this will allow for future fixes to the quest scripts above and beyond "Fixed Quests" and "DFQFIX".

You don't have to worry about using multiple versions of Daggerfall for safety. Daggerfal Unity only reads from your game data, it does not save anything back or change any original game files. But I completely understand the desire to play things safe and encourage you to do whatever makes you feel comfortable here.
Gudadantza wrote: And finally, for testing the combat properly, the implementation of some properties and statistics of non magic weapons could be amazing. Now the real combat and enemies are implemented but I have the feeling something is lacking.
The combat properties of all armour and weapons is almost 100% implemented just like classic. You have Allofich/R.D to thank for all of his hard work on bringing this to life well ahead of my schedule. If you mean the display properties when getting info on an item, that will be implemented in 0.5 cycle. :)

I don't have head-bobbing in the roadmap yet, but might add this around the same time I add new motor states for swimming, levitation, etc. It would definitely fit with that group of features.

Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Amazing. thanks for the reply. So I understand that the properties like "sword damage 1-6" etc, for example, are already added in game but not "shown" explicity?

And just one thing I have not explained too well. I am completely safe with DaggerfallUnity I know it only reads data and do not change anything in the original game. I mean about the unnoficial quests. Do Daggerfall unity read the fan quests from the daggerfall folder I they exist? and in that case do they run? I understand, if I am not wrong, that you have incorporated the oficial set of missions includig the Usacomp addon. But I am not sure about the fan made ones. Sorry for being so annoying in my insistence :)

Thats the reason I use two versions. For safeness not the original game but for safeness into the Daggerfall unity, I was afraid about posible glitches in DaggerfallUnity if new quests were used in game.

Thanks again and greetings

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Gudadantza wrote:Amazing. thanks for the reply. So I understand that the properties like "sword damage 1-6" etc, for example, are already added in game but not "shown" explicity?
You got it. :) All the critical number crunching is happening under the hood, I've just not implemented the %var stat display on info as I was waiting for things to be a bit further along. Will definitely be part of 0.5.

Gudadantza wrote: And just one thing I have not explained too well. I am completely safe with DaggerfallUnity I know it only reads data and do not change anything in the original game. I mean about the unnoficial quests. Do Daggerfall unity read the fan quests from the daggerfall folder I they exist? and in that case do they run? I understand, if I am not wrong, that you have incorporated the oficial set of missions includig the Usacomp addon. But I am not sure about the fan made ones. Sorry for being so annoying in my insistence :)
Daggerfall Unity doesn't read any quests from your Arena2 folder. They've all been decompiled to a plain-text format using Tipton's Template v1.11 tool. While Tipton uses this script format as an intermediary language to compile back to QRC/QBN, Daggerfall Unity is able to execute that script directly.

This means that any fan made quests would need to be converted into Daggerfall Unity as a mod at some point - I don't see them as part of the classic port. The old total conversions like Daedrafall/Andyfall/Werefall are completely awesome, but they actually work by overwriting the classic game data to change how the game looks and behaves, and Daggerfall Unity only supports the original (patched) data.

Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

All clear now! Thanks.