Question about Dungeons

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Skellyman

Question about Dungeons

Post by Skellyman »

Will the dungeon in this version of the game be as gigantic and messy as the old version ? One of the major turned down for me is the Dungeons in daggerfall, they are too big, too maze like and not fun at all and I don't like to do the cheat thing. It would be interesting to see if the dungeons in this version are smaller and more linear in a way that is not too linear but not that hard to get around

Jay_H

Re: Question about Dungeons

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)

Daggerfall Unity is a recreation of Daggerfall, so the dungeons will be the same as in classic. The size and complexity of Daggerfall dungeons is a common complaint, so as soon as some modder finds a way to make them smaller and more sensible, I do not doubt that mod will become popular. That's still an if, and not a guarantee.

DosGamer

Post by DosGamer »

I agree navigating the dungeons of this game is annoying, and I also don't like using the cheats. What I do;
1. Cast Recall and anchor at the dungeon entrance. Will save you a lot of maze running.
2. play through the dungeon as best you can. Usually you won't have too much trouble finding the NPC/enemy/item
3. If all else fails, use the [ and ] buttons (after changing cheatmode 0 to cheatmode 1 in the config (Z) file in your directory.
4. Cast Recall and teleport once you get tired of trying to find the exit the normal way.

The size of this game is borderline too big, and trying to dungeon crawl vanilla (without cheating) is time consuming in the worst kind of way.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just throwing in opinion

The fact the dungeons are big, confusing and maze like, is what I absolutely love about it, and it also made me love the game so much in the 90s. You go into the dungeon, than you explore, at some point, you realize this one is BIG... and you know you gonna spend some time there. You go further, deeper, than you find another huge room with water and tower and you know... this aint gonna be easy. But than... you find the thing you was there for... at my times, I was not aware of "anchor" and "return" spells. So I always returned on my own. And yes, sometimes, you was trapped. No way out. But that did not happen too much... so.. after this excrutiating and dangerous voyage, you finnaly see the dungeon exit. You click it... and after days, you emerge on the fresh air! Sometimes at night, sometimes at day, sometimes theres rain, and sometimes theres a sun. That feeling of finally getting OUT is something I will never forget. 10/10 for me ;) I missed big dungeons in TES ever since, it always felt dumbed down to me :? and the dumbed down spells, skills etc just added onto it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That's a really interesting perspective. I've also felt that epic-ness of dungeons, and the sense of achievement when you make it out while testing and playing DFU a bit. I think there's a balance between this and dungeons being too maze like and time-wasty grinds that Daggerfall often fell on the wrong side of.

What I will say is that the dungeon map in DFU, while on the surface is the same as classic, is so far superior usability wise that I feel that it makes the dungeons more manageable helping the balance. The way you can easily rotate and pan using the mouse to see how things connect together. Thanks to Nystul for this, it's such an amazing piece of work!

Skellyman, I would suggest you give the dungeons a go in DFU and see if the map makes enough of a difference to you.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hazelnut wrote:That's a really interesting perspective. I've also felt that epic-ness of dungeons, and the sense of achievement when you make it out while testing and playing DFU a bit. I think there's a balance between this and dungeons being too maze like and time-wasty grinds that Daggerfall often fell on the wrong side of.

What I will say is that the dungeon map in DFU, while on the surface is the same as classic, is so far superior usability wise that I feel that it makes the dungeons more manageable helping the balance. The way you can easily rotate and pan using the mouse to see how things connect together. Thanks to Nystul for this, it's such an amazing piece of work!

Skellyman, I would suggest you give the dungeons a go in DFU and see if the map makes enough of a difference to you.
thanks for the kind words ;)

paladin181

Post by paladin181 »

King of Worms wrote:Just throwing in opinion

The fact the dungeons are big, confusing and maze like, is what I absolutely love about it, and it also made me love the game so much in the 90s. You go into the dungeon, than you explore, at some point, you realize this one is BIG... and you know you gonna spend some time there. You go further, deeper, than you find another huge room with water and tower and you know... this aint gonna be easy. But than... you find the thing you was there for... at my times, I was not aware of "anchor" and "return" spells. So I always returned on my own. And yes, sometimes, you was trapped. No way out. But that did not happen too much... so.. after this excrutiating and dangerous voyage, you finnaly see the dungeon exit. You click it... and after days, you emerge on the fresh air! Sometimes at night, sometimes at day, sometimes theres rain, and sometimes theres a sun. That feeling of finally getting OUT is something I will never forget. 10/10 for me ;) I missed big dungeons in TES ever since, it always felt dumbed down to me :? and the dumbed down spells, skills etc just added onto it.
The times I hated this was when you had a quest with a 30 day time limit to go to the dungeon, retrieve the item and get back. 10 days were spent in traveling to the place and then you'd run out of time for completion on the return trip.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Get sent to some ruins for a quest object

Time limit 19 days

Travel time 9 days

:evil: :lol: